Church wants more Christ-centered artwork in buildings

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Fifi de la Vergne

Re: Church wants more Christ-centered artwork in buildings

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Fri May 15, 2020 10:26 am

John Hamer wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 8:12 pm
In our congregation, we wanted to have images from the Christian tradition, while avoiding the literalistic / Romantic era of Anglo-Saxon Jesus paintings. We opted to reproduce the stained glass windows from Chartres Cathedral (one of the standout examples of Medieval Christian art and architecture) to represent Christ and the Christian tradition.

You can see all our artwork in this video. The Chartres windows are at 8:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B90NNxQcAfY
That was a wonderful tour, John. I appreciate you sharing the link here.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm

The most recent Mormon Land podcast dealt with this. You can listen here:
https://www.sltrib.com/podcasts/mormonland/

I guess what bothers me is that the "approved" artwork is so limited. It's like McDonald's or a Target. The church wants to establish a brand. The way to do that is to make sure that every location has a similar look. The problem is that this is a church. It's supposed to be a faith community, not a fast-food franchise. The Q15 is so scared of losing control that they seek to control every aspect of how church looks. It is not faith-promoting.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm
. The Q15 is so scared of losing control that they seek to control every aspect of how church looks. It is not faith-promoting.

This is the part that scares me the most. I went from thinking this whole thing was stupid, to really hypocritical-but the more I think about it the more creepy it feels. It's like they already control the underwear we wear and the things we drink, but now they want to control the pictures we look at. On twitter someone said they might throw out every hymn that isn't about Jesus. Just how far is Rusty gonna take this?
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

alas

Post by alas » Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm
blazerb wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm
. The Q15 is so scared of losing control that they seek to control every aspect of how church looks. It is not faith-promoting.

This is the part that scares me the most. I went from thinking this whole thing was stupid, to really hypocritical-but the more I think about it the more creepy it feels. It's like they already control the underwear we wear and the things we drink, but now they want to control the pictures we look at. On twitter someone said they might throw out every hymn that isn't about Jesus. Just how far is Rusty gonna take this?
Personally, I hope he does get rid of “we thank thee oh god for a prophet” and “how lovely was the morning” and “hail to the prophet” and all other prophet worship. While they are at it, please throw out “book of Mormon stories” and “follow the prophet” and those horrible songs that worship the 1950s style family from the primary song book.

If I had my way, they can throw out “I am a child of God” too because that line about “has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear“ makes children with abusive parents feel like they must not be children of God because he sent them to parents straight from hell. Believe me, I know cause I grew up feeling like I was the only kid at primary who was not a child of God.

Exiled

Post by Exiled » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am

I think this better encapsulates the true Jesus right before he wiped out all the wicked in 3 Nephi 8-9. Maybe put the following scripture under the above to quietly remind the members to pay their tithes and always keep their hands above the table where Jesus can see them.

3 Nephi 9:6-7
6. And behold, the city of Gilgal have I caused to be sunk, and the inhabitants thereof to be buried up in the depths of the earth;
7. Yea, and the city of Onihah and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Mocum and the inhabitants thereof, and the city of Jerusalem and the inhabitants thereof; and waters have I caused to come up in the stead thereof, to hide their wickedness and abominations from before my face, that the blood of the prophets and the saints shall not come up any more unto me against them.

Random

Post by Random » Sun May 31, 2020 11:30 am

alas wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:06 am
If I had my way, they can throw out “I am a child of God” too because that line about “has given me an earthly home with parents kind and dear“ makes children with abusive parents feel like they must not be children of God because he sent them to parents straight from hell. Believe me, I know cause I grew up feeling like I was the only kid at primary who was not a child of God.
My parents were divorced when I was a baby (but separated before I was conceived [I was an "oops"]) and I grew up in a single mom household during a time and place (small town Utah, then SLC) when/where divorce (and being poor) were looked down on. Not only were you different, but you or your parents must have sinned. I didn't know any better because I grew up with it, but the "parents kind and dear" was maybe a thing on my little-kid shelf. My mom was kind and dear, but my dad (in my child-self's opinion) obviously hated me because he ignored me (I saw him twice, alive, in my life (4 & 8 or 9 years old) and once in his coffin when I was 12).

I was crazy when my kids were growing up (one of my daughters, after she grew up, told me the illness she called it, but I forgot what that was), so I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar issues as you with the song.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK