Community

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
slavereeno

Community

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 am

Sorry folks, for doing the drive by thing again. Amidst all the turmoil of this pandemic, I have found myself needing to find new employment, so I've had little room in my head for being here.

DW is now having some doubts about the church. She has always been a very social person, she needs a lot more connection to others than I do. She has been a stay at home mom for the past 24 years or so. She has volunteered with the kids school and with community theater/music here and there, but the vast majority of her social outlet is the church.

My question is: How can I help her find new meaning and community? The church for all of its failings (in my mind anyway) does an excellent job of placing you into a turn key community wherever you go. Its the McDonald's of human connection.

It seems to me somebody posted a website that is designed to help people connect to others based on interest, but I can't seem to find that post. Does anybody know what that is off the top of their head?

Hagoth

Re: Community

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 am

Sounds like Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/

I have found a community with these people: https://www.saltlakeoasis.org/

The current apocalypse is making community pretty difficult to find and develop.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 20, 2020 1:46 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:43 am
Sounds like Meetup: https://www.meetup.com/

I have found a community with these people: https://www.saltlakeoasis.org/

The current apocalypse is making community pretty difficult to find and develop.
Thanks Hagoth! This was exactly what I was looking for.

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun May 31, 2020 11:13 pm

This has been a hurdle for us as well. Had a good chat last night with spouseman about how cultural differences influence our assumptions of how to act. Learning the culture will help us make friends. So that means an ecological study of how people act and how they make friends. In mormonism your friends are granted by visiting teaching lists, calling associations. Neighbors with shared beliefs. Will return to this later when I'm at a keyboard with some thoughts.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:20 am

Thanks, we struggle with how to find community. Just recently met some people in our neighborhood who are going through this as well, so that is a start.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:14 am

slavereeno wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 am
Sorry folks, for doing the drive by thing again. Amidst all the turmoil of this pandemic, I have found myself needing to find new employment, so I've had little room in my head for being here.

DW is now having some doubts about the church. She has always been a very social person, she needs a lot more connection to others than I do. She has been a stay at home mom for the past 24 years or so. She has volunteered with the kids school and with community theater/music here and there, but the vast majority of her social outlet is the church.

My question is: How can I help her find new meaning and community? The church for all of its failings (in my mind anyway) does an excellent job of placing you into a turn key community wherever you go. Its the McDonald's of human connection.

It seems to me somebody posted a website that is designed to help people connect to others based on interest, but I can't seem to find that post. Does anybody know what that is off the top of their head?
IMO: I'd try to replace all of that with nature. Let's trees, lakes and streams tickle the dopamine center; it's much more rewarding and healthier. People just disappoint.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

NewLight

Post by NewLight » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:24 am

Hi Slavereeno,

I rarely post here as I resigned a few years ago, along with my wife. All of my children are out as well. But I recognize the need to support someone when they start questioning. I was "doubting" the church years before my wife and it wasn't until my grown children were leaving and she needed to "rescue" them that she was open to learning more. When she did, the dominoes fell quickly and it sounds like she, like your wife, needed a community of people to help with the process.

We reached out to the community listed in our local area (I live in Tooele County, west of Salt Lake) on https://www.mormonspectrum.org/msip-map-directory . We love our exmo friends and community out here! My wife started the book club for it, there's a women's group and a family group as well. The guys have gotten together several times too. I can't think we are unique - there must be a thriving community for your wife to garner the caring and support she needs and she will find that they are some of the most compassionate folks around.

Good luck with all of this!