They are back out in full force... sacrament on demand and lovebombing 2020 style.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
jfro18

They are back out in full force... sacrament on demand and lovebombing 2020 style.

Post by jfro18 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:24 pm

Because I'm not an active member, my wife has gone without the sacrament the last... however many weeks they've been shut down.

So today they came and blessed it for her. That's obviously not a huge deal outside of just feeling deflated that it means so much to her and clearly I can't provide that.

But to their credit, they had masks and gloves on and washed their hands before putting the gloves on. They were not screwing around and were in and out in well under 10 minutes which was nice.

As for the lovebombing, our little one is going to be 8 soon... and a week ago he got a letter in the mail with a small gift as a reminder that they were thinking of him and miss him.

Then today they came and put a sign in our yard that said they loved him and that he was "awesome" and that it was from the primary at the local ward.

That stuff drives me bonkers... because he sees it and is not sure what is going on, they don't know him at all, but I know I'm going to have a tough year here as he turns 8 and I am obviously not on board with him getting dunked. She teaches him Bible stories and I shut my mouth about which ones are clearly added later, historically impossible, etc.

The lovebombing could just be something they're doing for the COVID outbreak... just timing up unfortunately with the 8th birthday which will be very soon.

Time will tell, although I think it's clear to say there is no rescue mission or thought under way for me. :D

Hagoth

Re: They are back out in full force... sacrament on demand and lovebombing 2020 style.

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 25, 2020 6:34 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:24 pm
Because I'm not an active member, my wife has gone without the sacrament the last...
I'm not sure being an active member is a prerequisite. I figure it's my own damn priesthood to do with as I want until they magically take it away from me by signing a paper or scratching my name off a list or whatever they do.

I'm guessing the issue is more that you and/or your wife feel like it's a mockery for you to bless the sacrament as a non-believer. I bless the sacrament for my wife and she recognizes, even though I "deny the power thereof," that I'm probably more thoughtful and sincere about the symbolism than some pimply 16-year old who would be doing it under normal conditions, and who's just worried about avoiding the embarrassment of having to do it again if he gets one word wrong and spoils the incantation, or that God will strike him dead for blessing the sacrament "unworthily" because his inability to leave the chicken unchoked.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mormorrisey

Re: They are back out in full force... sacrament on demand and lovebombing 2020 style.

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 6:34 am
jfro18 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:24 pm
Because I'm not an active member, my wife has gone without the sacrament the last...
I'm not sure being an active member is a prerequisite. I figure it's my own damn priesthood to do with as I want until they magically take it away from me by signing a paper or scratching my name off a list or whatever they do.

I'm guessing the issue is more that you and/or your wife feel like it's a mockery for you to bless the sacrament as a non-believer. I bless the sacrament for my wife and she recognizes, even though I "deny the power thereof," that I'm probably more thoughtful and sincere about the symbolism than some pimply 16-year old who would be doing it under normal conditions, and who's just worried about avoiding the embarrassment of having to do it again if he gets one word wrong and spoils the incantation, or that God will strike him dead for blessing the sacrament "unworthily" because his inability to leave the chicken unchoked.
Yeah, what Hagoth said. I do the sacrament in our house, as as PIMO, and I'm sure Sis M thinks it's blasphemy as well. But she lets me do it, probably for the kids, but at least she lets me do it. And I don't mind, I still have time for Jesus, and thinking about Jesus, even as I'm not sure what all that entails. I still try to follow some of the really excellent teachings that are attributed to him. So I do it, and don't mind. But it seems to ratchet up the tension for your family, so I'm sorry to hear that.

As to the lovebombing, yeah, I just have empathy. You know why they're doing it, it sucks, and it will just add to the tension in your home. That'll be a tough decision when the time comes. I wish you well on that day.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon May 25, 2020 4:37 pm

Pro tip: if your spouse would like the sacrament and you really don’t want to bless it; oeoare it the just watch the sacrament prayers in sign language off the church website. The kids will get a kick out of it and everyone is happy!

Baptism pro tip: just say no and wait for the kid to turn 18. :lol:

Love bombing tip: smile and don’t worry. It’s insignificant and annoying at best.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:37 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:37 pm
Pro tip: if your spouse would like the sacrament and you really don’t want to bless it; oeoare it the just watch the sacrament prayers in sign language off the church website. The kids will get a kick out of it and everyone is happy!

Baptism pro tip: just say no and wait for the kid to turn 18. :lol:

Love bombing tip: smile and don’t worry. It’s insignificant and annoying at best.
My wife would rather go without than have me bless it - I can say that with 100% certainty.

As for baptism... I don't know if it will come up or not from her given she refuses to talk about any of this below the surface. I know she's been teaching him Bible stories and I keep my mouth shut, but I assume at some point soon she will want to teach him more.

And love bombing is in a weird way kind of awesome. They send him gifts that are things he's never wanted before, although I don't know if a 7 year gets that these people have no idea what he's about. He looked at the sign and then walked away... I ended up throwing it away later that day when cleaning. :lol:

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed May 27, 2020 5:57 pm

One question about the communion sacrament bears asking, do Mormon males who have undergone the priesthood ceremony actually have a better "in" with God than the rest of the population?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha