The church with a racist past...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

The church with a racist past...

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am

...has this to say about racial inequity, the murder of an unarmed black man at the hands of a white cop, and the racial tensions and riots occurring in Minnesota an other locations around the county...

" "

-lost

Hagoth

Re: The church with a racist past...

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Was there supposed to be a quote between the " and the other " ?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri May 29, 2020 3:15 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:56 pm
Was there supposed to be a quote between the " and the other " ?
Not really, considering they have said absolutely nothing about it. It's ok, I'm sure Jesus would ignore it too. :evil:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri May 29, 2020 3:33 pm

I get your point but does a church really need to respond?

Have the Catholics responded?
The JW’s?
The Jewish synagogue?

Even if they did, we would probably just all complain at their response anyway...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri May 29, 2020 4:49 pm

I wonder what they could actually say that would be meaningful. Honestly, I don't know.

I mean, they're still racist, bigoted, and sexist at their core, so there's that.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 29, 2020 7:36 pm

Didn't this picture fix everything? Or are these people just about to step into a Danite ambush?

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Sat May 30, 2020 10:33 am

Yep anyone who mixes with the seed of Cain should be killed on the spot Brigham Young . That statement that the church has never disavowed should tell you all you need to know!!!!!!!

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat May 30, 2020 2:28 pm

Hagoth, that picture you posted has masks on all family members. As a result, it almost looks like Michelle Obama and Paul Ryan are accompanying their mixed-race children to church in an obviously stage photograph. It will probably be a generation or two before the LDS church can truly rectify itself on race relations. Lest we forget:

This Mormon Sunday school teacher was dismissed for using church's own race essay in lesson
Peggy Fletcher Stack wrote:The Mormon youth simply asked his white Sunday school teacher why the man's Nigerian wife and her family would join a church that had barred blacks from being ordained to its all-male priesthood until 1978. Why, the student wanted to know, was the ban instituted in the first place?

To answer the teen's inquiry, Brian Dawson turned to the Utah-based faith's own materials, including its groundbreaking 2013 essay, "Race and the Priesthood." His research prompted an engaging discussion with his class of 12- to 14-year-olds.

But it didn't please his local lay leaders, who removed him from his teaching assignment — even though the essay has been approved by top Mormon leaders and appears on the church's official website lds.org.
No matter what could or should be said about the situation in Minneapolis, the LDS church has virtually no rhetorical, cultural, or doctrinal authority on the subject. They are likely keeping their mouth shut because nothing they say could improve the situation, given their problematic past.