DW Back To Church

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Re: DW Back To Church

Post by græy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 am

Four days after our ward's first sacrament meeting, an older couple who attended the meeting tested positive for COVID-19. Now, three days after the test results were received the ward council is just being made aware of the situation.

Several WC members immediately pointed out that other sacrament attendees should be notified, especially since these members were almost certainly sick and contagious while at church. The ward clerk then noted that there was no list of people who actually attended. :roll:

Despite all of this, our stake and ward are moving forward with plans to double the number meetings and attendance next month.

Church meetings ARE NOT SAFE.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:05 am

græy wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 am
Several WC members immediately pointed out that other sacrament attendees should be notified, especially since these members were almost certainly sick and contagious while at church. The ward clerk then noted that there was no list of people who actually attended. :roll:

Despite all of this, our stake and ward are moving forward with plans to double the number meetings and attendance next month.

Were people wearing masks? I really hope so, but I know in Utah it seems to be quite a battle.

And they could email the entire ward and let them know a couple tested positive following the meeting on Sunday. That's not hard to do and doesn't require know who went.

It's dangerous to have meetings and not be willing to contact trace or at least blanket the info to those who are being put at risk by going.

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:37 am

græy wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:36 am
Four days after our ward's first sacrament meeting, an older couple who attended the meeting tested positive for COVID-19. Now, three days after the test results were received the ward council is just being made aware of the situation.

Graey, please be the voice of reason and common sense here. Tell your ward and stake that it is not safe to meet until there is a widely available vaccine. Ask them if the GAs are attending in person meetings? Are they having an in person Gen Con (with at least a ward-sized audience?) If not, then why in the %#%$ should your ward be doing it? These people KNOW their gut feeling is it’s dangerous, but they are all super entrenched in the cult mentality. I said this before: This is a time when we HAVE to speak up. It’s literally life and death for friends/family/people we care about.

Culper Jr.

Post by Culper Jr. » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:09 am

So it finally happened. Our ward is supposed to go back August 2. TBM DW read the stipulations in an email the stake sent out and got really mad about it. They kept talking about how the Covid-19 coordinator (new calling evidently) had to record the name of the leader responsible for the meeting and make sure they were held responsible for guidelines being followed during and after the meeting. She explained, “I know what this is! The church wants someone they can throw under the bus if someone tries to blame the church if they get Covid-19. I’m staying away from that, our home meetings are just fine!”. DD who is PIMO and I just looked at each other like “Wow, who is this woman!?”. Hey, I’ll take it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:53 am

My parents actually used their brains and decided against attending their ward yesterday!

Dad: it’s too risky!

Mom: it felt like a funeral (referring to the first week back a few weeks ago).

RR: glorious!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:02 am

DW went yesterday and played the organ.

She did not say a word to me about how it went, but she was talking to her family last night and that was discussed as it always is. She said it was "weird" and that there was no singing and they put the bread in cups so it would not be touched.

I'm bummed she went because she's really nervous about COVID in general, but like I said she has gotten more fundamentalist on church stuff over the last two years, and has really felt like churches have been unfairly persecuted during the pandemic since "alcohol stores can be open as essential and yet churches are shut down."

It bums me out to no end, but I hope it doesn't spread around here because of their recklessness in opening so soon. Thankfully in my area (Illinois) Mormonism is just a footnote, but they could still help spread it around the community.