Mormon quotes popping up in unexpected places...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
glass shelf

Mormon quotes popping up in unexpected places...

Post by glass shelf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:58 pm

I work in healthcare. My primary job at a nursing home/rehab facility was hit with covid a few weeks ago, so it's been rough time for all. We have a great activities director who is openly gay. (Hang in there--this is relevant) When she took down the activities wall calendar because they were no longer allowed, she posted a ton of inspirational quotes on the wall that I'm sure she just found on pinterest or whatever. One is the a printable of "Find joy in the journey--Thomas S. Monson."

The first day I saw it, I was honestly irritated. It was a raw, emotional week for many reasons and I almost asked her if I could find a replacement because looking at it just bugged me. I didn't. As time has gone on, it just humors me to see it hanging there and think of an extremely outspoken, feminist lesbian co-opting it from Monson who took it from someone else in the first place.

(I live in the midwest, and I seriously doubt she has any idea who he is. It does kind of make me wonder the background of all of the other people quoted on the wall, though.)

Hagoth

Re: Mormon quotes popping up in unexpected places...

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:31 pm

That's funny. It sounds like something that might just as likely to be attributed to the Dhali Lama or Joseph Campbell, or maybe the Hang In There Baby cat.

Please stay safe, GS!!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:39 am

A supermarket that I drive by frequently has an electronic sign that rotates through specials on produce and inspirational quotes. A few years ago, there was a Neal A. Maxwell quote in the rotation. I don't remember what it was. Some kind of general encouraging sentiment.

Editing to add that I just realized this means very little without mentioning that I live far from any significant Mormon population. There is very little chance that anyone associated with that supermarket has any idea who Maxwell was.
Last edited by Ghost on Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:23 pm

We have an inspirational quote wall with quotes from various world influencers (Anne Frank, Dhali Lama, etc) where I work in SLC and there is a quote from Gordon Hinckley up there and it makes me mad when I see it. I try to talk myself out of the anger, but it just bugs me that he gets credited for doing good, when he hurt so many by leading a false church.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Linked wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:23 pm
We have an inspirational quote wall with quotes from various world influencers (Anne Frank, Dhali Lama, etc) where I work in SLC and there is a quote from Gordon Hinckley up there and it makes me mad when I see it. I try to talk myself out of the anger, but it just bugs me that he gets credited for doing good, when he hurt so many by leading a false church.
Totally get it. I think some people view him as a Yoda-like, and I view him as a disney-fied cult leader.

He certainly did a lot to clean up Mormonism's image, but I wish he'd used that PR/marketing gift for a better cause like cancer fundraising. Sigh.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 pm

I know exactly what it is that bothers you!

The middle initial!

Just reprint the same quote and attribute it to Tommy Monson, or Tom Monson.

It won’t bother you have that.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 pm

The middle initial!

They could keep a different sacred initial and obscure the LDS origins. Attribute the quote to T. Spencer Monson and virtually no temple recommend holder will recognize their favorite ear-wiggling leader.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:53 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:50 pm

The middle initial!

lol

I think it's actually the pure Mormony-ness of it. Fonts, design, all of it in addition to the "author." Flashbacks to too many RS nights I wasted my energy on perhaps?

I mean, could definitely be a saying on lolcat meme, so it's not the saying itself. It's the rest. And maybe all the baggage that comes with the constant pressure to be a perfect Mormon and be happy no matter how sucky the situation is?

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:59 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:46 pm
Linked wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:23 pm
Totally get it. I think some people view him as a Yoda-like, and I view him as a disney-fied cult leader.

He certainly did a lot to clean up Mormonism's image, but I wish he'd used that PR/marketing gift for a better cause like cancer fundraising. Sigh.
I grew up under Hinckley's reign and I really liked him. I still have fond memories of him, though my faith transition casts him in a very bad light. You are right, he really could have done some good in a different path; too bad he was stuck in the mormon leadership one.

Having him on that quote board feels like it legitimizes the church as something important and respectable, and that gets under my skin.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut