Church Life Back in 1971

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Church Life Back in 1971

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:13 pm

The Genesis Group and the Stake Basketball Tournament Finals –that didn’t happen
JULY 30, 2020 BY MARGARET BLAIR YOUNG

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/welcometa ... hat-wasnt/

"The Genesis team lost, but not on the court. Every one of those young men was more than defeated; he was gutted. Each left Genesis and left the Church, and they never came back. It was the final blow." Mormon intolerance had preserved Church basketball for the pure and delightsome. Seven years later, the Church would rescind its racial purity ban.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Re: Church Life Back in 1971

Post by blazerb » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 am

This made me want to cry. I would like a TBM to explain why polygamy had to be the church's Abrahamic test. Why couldn't it have been racial equality?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:38 pm

What a story...it would make a great movie staring Denzel Washington...
~2bizE

græy

Post by græy » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:35 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:38 pm
What a story...it would make a great movie staring Denzel Washington...
Remember the Titans, but no happy ending.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:14 am

Horrible. And don't think it couldn't happen today. Thanks to the priesthood ban and the "white and delightsome" nonsense in the Book of Mormon and all the apologetics to try and rationalize all that garbage, there is an ugly undercurrent just below the surface or Mormonism I don't believe will ever be adequately rooted out.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph