What’s your most prized possession?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:37 pm

As a TBM: my testimony

Now: my time

Materialistic possession? I’ll have to think about this one.

Most furry possession? My dog
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Re: What’s your most prized possession?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:21 pm

My brain. I hope I can hang onto it for a while longer.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:04 pm

As a TBM: Membership in the one true Church.

Now: My freedom to think as I please and to do as I please. No middleman between me and God now. (Those are two parts of one thing.)

Materialistic possession: Not sure. If I had the house and land I want, it would be that.

Most furry possession? :lol: I don't have one, unless you count a red teddy bear a friend gave me for Valentine's Day.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:38 pm

My kids - although I guess I do not "own" my kids. Health, time, meaningful work.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:10 pm

I've had one of those terrible no good very bad days so... The nihilist in me says: Nothing. Absolutely nothing , because none of it really matters.

The non-nihilist in me says: my kids. As others have said: They're not my "possession," but... My kids are so much smarter, more driven, and just all-around better people than me that... I honestly have no idea how I have anything to do with them.

Oh, and I've got one of those furry kids too. She's my Holy Ghost™ (comforter) so she's definitely a "prized possession" too...

[Sideways Glance]
Glance.jpg
Glance.jpg (241.94 KiB) Viewed 6613 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:45 pm

Angel wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:38 pm
My kids...
Me too. At least they are what I value the most.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:00 pm

As a TBM:
hmmm... probably that I attended with my whole family- aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents etc. ... so family membership?

(((Shakes)) off the emotions surfacing from thinking about the first question)

Now:
Well, I do prize the relationship I have with my children and mom, but I’m going to go with Freedom. Freedom from religion and marriage and fear and, you get the idea.

Materialistic possession?
Books, books, and books and my iPad because I read a lot on it too. Books might just keep me single forever haha although I’m getting pressure from friends to start dating (and I just got two books from the library about online dating haha). And gods, I can’t forget music! Books and Music!

Most furry possession?
Oh my goodness! I have the best cats. A sweet, fluffy girl and a funny little boy. He’s such a catdog and chews everything when hungry. Well, they are both always hungry and both could be named shadow as they follow me everywhere. I don’t think he has once failed to make a zoom call appearance, and she is so in tune with my mood (or blood pressure haha) and is all over me if she thinks I’m upset. They are the best, giving me back the love I give them.
Attachments
FF60E651-EDF2-4E2C-9841-13B879053B7E.jpeg
FF60E651-EDF2-4E2C-9841-13B879053B7E.jpeg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 6548 times
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:05 am

The only thing I truly posses are my thoughts. So i think al lot. It seems most everything else can be taken away.

Getting older I look back and realize many possessions have faded away some replaced others not.

I actually am trying to move towards a minimalist life. Much harder than it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:57 pm

My wife.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:46 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:10 pm
Oh, and I've got one of those furry kids too. She's my Holy Ghost™ (comforter) so she's definitely a "prized possession" too...
The true owner in this relationship, no doubt.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

crossmyheart

Post by crossmyheart » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 am

TBM days: my well worn, highly annotated BOM W/matching leather bound King James Bible that I used on my mission. I considered myself an aspiring master scriptorian. I even told my mother if my house were to ever catch fire, I would run back in to save them. She reminds me of that statement regularly and asks why can't I be that person again?

Today: I dont know honestly. If my house were to catch fire, I certainly wouldn't go back in for anything except my husband or children. The Marie Kondo purging philosophy really was a life changing moment for me 2 years ago- like 1smartdodog, I am trying to live a minimalist life and purge as much as I can, both physical and mental, from my life.

My most furry possession is currently in HUGE trouble right now for shredding about 10 bags of mulch to make a nice comfy spot for himself in the shade. I may have threatened to give him away once or twice while cleaning it up... :lol:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:56 am

crossmyheart wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:50 am
TBM days: my well worn, highly annotated BOM W/matching leather bound King James Bible that I used on my mission. I considered myself an aspiring master scriptorian. I even told my mother if my house were to ever catch fire, I would run back in to save them. She reminds me of that statement regularly and asks why can't I be that person again?

Today: I dont know honestly. If my house were to catch fire, I certainly wouldn't go back in for anything except my husband or children. The Marie Kondo purging philosophy really was a life changing moment for me 2 years ago- like 1smartdodog, I am trying to live a minimalist life and purge as much as I can, both physical and mental, from my life.

My most furry possession is currently in HUGE trouble right now for shredding about 10 bags of mulch to make a nice comfy spot for himself in the shade. I may have threatened to give him away once or twice while cleaning it up... :lol:
I have the same thing with scriptures. Mostly marked up from my mission but the small leather bound “quad” that was given to me by my dad who received it as a gift from the FP when he was called as a Bishop in the late 80’s. It was too small to read for his tired eyes and he didn’t want to give up his marked up books. Typing this out made me remember an uncles funeral a few years back. He was dead and on display in his temple robes and clutching his scriptures on his chest with 2 hands as if he was hugging them. So weird.

What’s the secret to purge and minimalist life? That’s been a goal of ours since the kids are/will be on their way out soon?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Lithium Sunset

Post by Lithium Sunset » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:29 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:56 am
What’s the secret to purge and minimalist life? That’s been a goal of ours since the kids are/will be on their way out soon?
I love minimalism, and purging feels fantastic even if a lot of work in the beginning. For me, and probably most, it’s an ongoing process (and currently excludes books, although I do get rid of books too).
Basically, you just get rid of stuff you do not use or need. And you do not buy things you do not really need, clothing included. It is very much a mindset- always be mindful of purchases and keep in mind what is truly important (not stuff).

This is where I began on my Minimalism journey:
“Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things” on Netflix
https://www.netflix.com/title/80114460? ... d=13752289

Watching this documentary with the boys after the separation/divorce was a game changer. He had them so afraid about being “poor” if we got a divorce. This helped me teach them that it’s just stuff and stuff is not what’s important, helped me too. They have a podcast that I listen to parts of sometimes on Instagram.
"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." -Laura Ingalls Wilder

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:59 am

Back then: Membership in the true church.

Now: My health; everyday that I am pain free and have bladder control. I'm getting old, so I look at these kinds of things as gifts.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:19 am

All I want is simple ability to read, think, and come to my own spiritual or intellectual conclusions. Certainly I like the members of my family and more than a few of you fine forum members. But I don't need much else.