Mormon

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
blazerb

Mormon

Post by blazerb » Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to help out with a church service project. We were all wearing yellow shirts or vests with "Mormon Helping Hands" printed on the front and back and an advertisement for Mormon.org. It occurred to me that not even dozens of victories for Satan could prevent the church from getting as much PR benefit as possible from our work. I would have thought that the church could spring $1 million or so to get new shirts, but apparently it does not want to diminish the brand value of those yellow shirts. Although that's a little confusing to me since Scientology uses a color of yellow that is very similar if I remember correctly. But there are probably many more Mormon helping hands than there are Scientologists so the brand value is not too tarnished.

Ho Lee Turtle

Re: Mormon

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:57 pm

I hope no one gets those yellow shirts confused with the Southern Baptist Disaster relief teams. :) I’ve worked with their groups on service projects before and they are well organized and terrific to work with. They are very genuine and do a lot to help others in their times of real need.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:50 am

Scientology Volunteers
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 am

Is yellow an official color for volunteers?

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:27 am

Gotta love the way God's one and only true Church led by a prophet who received constant revelation from the Almighty Himself can't figure out whether the word "Mormon"" is bad or not.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am

It's funny that they've put so many resources into the name change and yet won't buy new tshirts.

The amount of $$ they likely threw in the dumpster in just search engine optimization online had to be immense, and then the amount dumped back in for the new marketing/branding...

And yet they can't get new shirts? I guess they figure the public will always know you're Mormon anyway. :lol:

misterfake371

Post by misterfake371 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:46 pm

Around 2011, the Church did the big "I'm a Mormon" push. They had billboards that said "I'm a Mormon," and they had that movie called "Meet the Mormons." They encouraged everybody to create online profiles on their new social media-style website. I made one of those profiles. The start of every profile bio was, "Hi, I'm __________, and I'm a Mormon" Then less than a decade later, the prophet said, "we're not Mormon anymore. If someone asks you, 'Are you Mormon'? you should respond, 'if by "Mormon" you mean "a member of the Church of Latter-day Saints" then, yes.'"
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:05 pm

And they had a prophet who went out of his way to make it clear in conference that Mormon is a good name and we should be PROUD to call ourselves Mormons. Two prophets later and Satan is laughing with delight, as the song says, when you say it.. Beats me.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."