"Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Family Proclamation"

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

"Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Family Proclamation"

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:35 pm

The subject line of an email that just hit my inbox. Oh boy, a celebration of 25 years of suicide and shattered families.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: "Celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Family Proclamation"

Post by moksha » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:00 pm

Hmmm, a political document crafted to help halt gay rights and which ultimately failed because the American populace ceased being filled with the same hatred as the Brethren.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:56 am

Is there cake?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:56 am
Is there cake?
That's the only reason I'd go.

In all seriousness, I wonder if they are making a big deal out of this, so Nelson can have his own 25th anniversary party for HIS proclamation down the road. Otherwise, that nothingburger is going to get...nothing.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:17 am

I'm happy to announce: Likely less than .001% of the world population gives a flying cluck, or a rolling donut about this "Celebration."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:18 am

In all seriousness, I wonder if they are making a big deal out of this, so Nelson can have his own 25th anniversary party for HIS proclamation down the road. Otherwise, that nothingburger is going to get...nothing.
In 23 years Nelson will be long dead (and probably the next prophet or two as well) and I imagine the name stuff will be largely forgotten outside of the church's marketing which tries to hide the fact that they are Mormon while usurping the idea of a Church of Jesus Christ.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:23 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:03 pm
Mormorrisey wrote:

In 23 years Nelson will be long dead (and probably the next prophet or two as well) and I imagine the name stuff will be largely forgotten outside of the church's marketing which tries to hide the fact that they are Mormon while usurping the idea of a Church of Jesus Christ.
In 23 years the name of the church will be The Church of David H Bednar, incorporated” or CB for short.

All members will be taught through nightly neurolink CB bucket updates.

All hail Bednar...

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:36 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:23 pm
In 23 years the name of the church will be The Church of David H Bednar, incorporated” or CB for short.

All hail Bednar...

The Sea Bees will be livid.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:38 am

You know, even at the time as a fully believing member, I didn't think there was any special about it. I felt like any 12 year old in the Church could have put together a document with the same ideas, there wasn't anything new or revelatory about it, it was just a regurgitation of everything I'd been hearing in Church my whole life. Even then my reaction was "who cares"?
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:22 am

Red Ryder wrote:
jfro18 wrote:
Mormorrisey wrote:

All hail Bednar...

Funny 'cause it's true. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:36 am

jfro18 wrote:
Mormorrisey wrote:

In 23 years Bednar will still be reining with blood and horror...
~2bizE

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:31 am

Red Ryder wrote:
jfro18 wrote:
Mormorrisey wrote:

All hail Bednar...

The bodies need to be pickes.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:32 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:31 am
Red Ryder wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

All hail Bednar...

The bodies need to be pickles.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born