Senator Mike Lee: Trump's another Captain Moroni!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Senator Mike Lee: Trump's another Captain Moroni!

Post by deacon blues » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Oh brother! https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics/20 ... ys-donald/
I apologize if this is too political, but it's the "mormon-inanity" of it that makes me. . . :shock: :?:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Red Ryder

Re: Senator Mike Lee: Trump's another Captain Moroni!

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:37 pm

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Has anybody in the Church responded to this insult on Captain Moroni?

Was Elder Lee suffering from heatstroke in the Arizona sun when he made this Sieg Heil?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

græy

Post by græy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 am

You just have to understand his comments in the context of scripture.

Alma 48: 17-18
Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Donald Trump, behold, the very powers of democracy would have been shaken forever; yeah, truth would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

Behold, he was a man like unto Noah, the son of Zeniff, and even the priests of King Noah, yea, and also Cain and his sons, for they were all men of dishonesty, deceit, and selfishness.
At least, that's how Lee remembers it.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 am

græy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:39 am
You just have to understand his comments in the context of scripture.

Alma 48: 17-18
Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Donald Trump, behold, the very powers of democracy would have been shaken forever; yeah, truth would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.

Behold, he was a man like unto Noah, the son of Zeniff, and even the priests of King Noah, yea, and also Cain and his sons, for they were all men of dishonesty, deceit, and selfishness.
At least, that's how Lee remembers it.
Ha! The original version of that "used to be" one of my favorite fictional passages.

Your new version, græy, is so brilliant... Well, I might have to print it out and tape it to my mirror. :D
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Idiot.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

alas

Post by alas » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:37 pm

Captain Moron—I.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Kevin Christiansen from MD&D put it well:
Having read the Book of Mormon, and Nibley's essay on Freeman and Kingman in the Book of Mormon, I missed the parts of the story where Captain Moroni paid off mistresses, separated children from refugee parents as deterrent, hired corrupt and ignorant people to undermine the government, flattered and schmoozed tyrants, stacked the courts, deregulated environmental and financial protections, sought to gut healthcare, refused to personally go down to battle himself (bone spur deferments), denigrated science, undermined relationships with close allies, cut both taxes and accountability for the rich, demonized immigrants and refugees, pressured Ukraine to provide smears of his legitimate political opponents, had his science office declare victory over a pandemic at the same time that infections set new record highs and leading all nations in deaths by a shocking margin, demonstrating in every divisive superspreader rally that he cares nothing for the blood of his people, and lied constantly and shamelessly.

I think the Church needs to speak up before Lee requests that Trump be placed alongside the Christus statue in the Visitor's Center.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:30 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:37 pm
:lol: ROFLMAO
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:09 am

NoahTrump.jpg
NoahTrump.jpg (117.51 KiB) Viewed 5350 times
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:43 pm
I think the Church needs to speak up before Lee requests that Trump be placed alongside the Christus statue in the Visitor's Center.
Or...
MORONi-Trump.jpg
MORONi-Trump.jpg (201.23 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm

wtfluff wrote:
moksha wrote:
Or...
MORONi-Trump.jpg
I think that was a different Moroni...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 pm

oliblish wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 pm
wtfluff wrote:
moksha wrote:
Or...

MORONi-Trump.jpg
I think that was a different Moroni...
Meh. True Believers won't care...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:36 pm

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

græy

Post by græy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:14 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:36 pm
:lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am

I thought this tweet from Will Swenson was great:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 12.49.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 12.49.29 PM.png (201.52 KiB) Viewed 5200 times
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:36 pm

Captain Moroni would have never referred to the fallen Stripling Warriors as "a bunch of losers" as Trump did to the American veterans buried in France.
-- Moksha

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:19 pm

græy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:14 am
wtfluff wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:36 pm
:lol:
This is absolutely great from the Tribune. Their cartoonist is telling it like it is. - Wndr.

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:21 pm

The golden statue photo is great also ! Watch out for a golden statue to appear in the Visitors' Center. :D :Wndr.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:11 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am
I thought this tweet from Will Swenson was great:

Screen Shot 2020-11-02 at 12.49.29 PM.png
Perfect!

All joking aside, the Church really should have spoken out about one of their religious figures being co-opted by an idiot politician. But hey, if the Church is OK with it, before long every politician in Utah will be comparing themselves or whoever they support to Book of Mormon heroes. And everyone else can think the place is even crazier than they already do.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph