Public Perception and Church Image

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Public Perception and Church Image

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 am

I hope the white shirts and business ties in the COB lurk here for ideas to make the church a better organization for the world. They know the growth rates have slowed and the perception and image of the church hasn’t been always positive over the years. So Nommies, what Policy Adjustments would you make if you were the PR executive advising the Prophet?

The real world thinks Mormons are weird because Mormons will always be tied to these weird things:

1. Multiple wives
2. Funny underwear
3. Strict rules
4. Strange doctrine
5. Geriatric white male leadership

The church will always be known to the public as a bunch of nice people who believe in a weird church. The leadership of the church just can’t get past this. Unless of course President Nelson starts making policy changes. So to help him out, let’s give some constructive feedback to make it better.

1. Equal representation of men and women in church leadership.
2. Create a reality TV show like the Duggar’s to show the world Mormons in their natural habitat.
3. Lose the daily worn garments
4. Introduce the church membership to Coffee! It’s OK for the members who already drink coffee to pretend to be super excited. You know, like when Emma “allowed” joseph to marry the partridge sisters.
5. Remove the racist doctrines and toxic shaming around worthiness.
6. Be inclusive.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

El Chihuahua Chingón

Re: Public Perception and Church Image

Post by El Chihuahua Chingón » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:53 am
4. Introduce the church membership to Coffee! It’s OK for the members who already drink coffee to pretend to be super excited.
I knew something was off about this WoW doctrine when a friend of mine asked why I drank sugar free Monsters but not coffee, especially considering how much worse energy drinks (both with and without sugar) are for health than coffee. I'm very supportive of this push. It would be a revolutionary step for LDS culture.

Never say that it won't happen, just look at BYU! The heavens opened and now they can dispense normal Coke products on campus :D

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:59 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
1. Equal representation of men and women in church leadership.
That would require a dismantling down to the component atoms and complete rebuilding. It would be awesome but it wouldn't be recognizable as Mormonism any more (to which I say Woohoo!)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:51 am

Red Ryder wrote:
2. Create a reality TV show like the Duggar’s to show the world Mormons in their natural habitat.
What, is the Real Housewives of Salt Lake City not real enough for the church?
El Chihuahua Chingón wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:41 am
Never say that it won't happen, just look at BYU! The heavens opened and now they can dispense normal Coke products on campus :D

Didn't Starbucks open a coffee shop right across from the BYU campus? Any word on how that business is doing? Did the Honor Code Office have a large uptick in reporting?
Last edited by Just This Guy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

græy

Post by græy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:47 am

Great post RR! I'm honestly surprised garments aren't #1 on your list, though. ;)
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm

Wonderful topic and so timely.

I awoke this morning at 0300, initially prompted by my bladder but then from inspiration from the lord. I turned on the soft, warm glow light on my night side table, grabbed my penlight and pad, and then moved over to my comfy lounge chair. On the way to the chair, I awoke my wife of many years, and moved her out of the bedroom as I was about to receive a revelation. Besides, she does better in the kitchen than in the bedroom anyway.

I listened to my feelings, tapping into the force.
This is what the spirit guided me to write:
1) Get rid of the magic underwear. It's old fashioned and the magic has worn off.
2) call women to the priesthood and all levels of leadership
3) Update WoW to only say "Use best judgment with the foods you intake into your body. No commandments can ever be made around a healthcode in the future."
4) Eliminate tithing settlement
5) Eliminate worthiness interviews
6) Make missionary service completely optional and have various types and durations of service to choose from.
7) Remove the BYUPD.
8) Remove BYU honor codes
9) Stop saying Sunday is the Sabbath. It isn't. The Sabbath if for the Jews and is Saturday.
10) Make both church and tithing optional
11) Require all weddings to be held civilly for all to attend, and then if they want to be sealed in the temple they can be later.
12) Tell all F@&king members to wear a mask
~2bizE

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:46 pm

I like the list. They could also start in a small way to make the BYU's normal places. You could still prohibit sex outside of marriage and alcohol. However, they could relax rules about allowing opposite sex persons to use your bathroom. They could allow students to live in any housing. They could get rid of the Honor Code office or at least make it less intrusive. They could get rid of the ecclesiastical endorsement process and allow enrollment decisions to be made by academic personnel.

græy

Post by græy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:16 pm
On the way to the chair, I awoke my wife of many years, and moved her out of the bedroom as I was about to receive a revelation. Besides, she does better in the kitchen than in the bedroom anyway.
I don't condone speaking badly about dear wives, but :lol:
I listened to my feelings, tapping into the force.
This is what the spirit guided me to write:
1) Get rid of the magic underwear. It's old fashioned and the magic has worn off.
2) call women to the priesthood and all levels of leadership
3) Update WoW to only say "Use best judgment with the foods you intake into your body. No commandments can ever be made around a healthcode in the future."
4) Eliminate tithing settlement
5) Eliminate worthiness interviews
6) Make missionary service completely optional and have various types and durations of service to choose from.
7) Remove the BYUPD.
8) Remove BYU honor codes
9) Stop saying Sunday is the Sabbath. It isn't. The Sabbath if for the Jews and is Saturday.
10) Make both church and tithing optional
11) Require all weddings to be held civilly for all to attend, and then if they want to be sealed in the temple they can be later.
12) Tell all F@&king members to wear a mask
Another brilliant list. I vote for you and RR to be co-prophets until the next prophet election cycle - which happens whenever NOM thinks it should.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:19 pm

græy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:29 pm
Another brilliant list. I vote for you and RR to be co-prophets until the next prophet election cycle - which happens whenever NOM thinks it should.
Well, I’ll confess I’m no longer worthy. I coveted 2BizE’s wife in the Kitchen. His reference to her kitchen skills caused my imagination to day dream about her amazing baking skills. This led to gluttonous temptation for baked sweets and unrighteousness thoughts. Next thing I knew I was driving to Circle K and acting on the soft whisperings of satan. In my moment of weakness I put a day old donut in my mouth WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT!

I’m sorry if my weakness for cookies, cakes, and biscuits eliminates my eligibility to be co-prophet and cause 2bizE to bare the burden and mantle of Prophet. Or worse, causes the church to remain homophobic, mysogynist, and weird.

I’ll begin my repentance by visiting my local bishop’s office to report my misdeeds right as soon as I return from Krispy Kreme. Doh, there I go again. Depart from my mind ole sweet toothed satan! Depart!

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Don't worry, RR, I'll step up. Here's my list:

1. Become the Community of Christ.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:03 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Don't worry, RR, I'll step up. Here's my list:

1. Become the Community of Christ.
Interesting proposition Reuben.

Do you think it’s ever possible for the CoC to reconcile and join back together?

Or wonder if the LDS church could pivot like the CoC did and become universally bland a Christian with mega churches, entertaining pastors, and a band.

Attendance would increase and the world would join if the church became universally... whats the word...normal?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:48 pm

my list

1. Dismantle the organization entirely, liquidate all the assets, give all the money to charities that actually do good stuff with it.