Attending my Daughter's Temple Wedding?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mormorrisey

Re: Attending my Daughter's Temple Wedding?

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:08 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:19 pm
When I still had a recommend I looked at it this way: it's my temple as much as anybody else's. I paid a hefty amount to build these things and to buy the privilege of attending, I can go and sit there and feel and think about whatever I want. Even when my wife knew I didn't believe any of it she appreciated me going with her and standing in as proxy for her ancestors. Now I can't go because of stupid things like coffee and believing that RMN's lack of prophetic ability tells me that he's not really a prophet.

So yeah, smoke if you've got 'em (speaking metaphorically, of course).
I made the mistake of adding up the amount of tithing I've paid over the years... :x
I did the same a while ago. It made me very, very angry. I still shake my head at the gross-tithe paying, dumba$$ me of just a few years ago.

But I'm in your shoes. This is probably the major reason I'm still active, is for my kids' weddings. It simply doesn't matter who gives you the gears for having a recommend, if they give you one, just use it and make your daughter and yourself happy. I've spent the last three recommend cycles daring the powers that be to deny me one, and I still have one. And it's clear I'm no gross tithe payer, and I certainly am no drinker of Mormon kool-aid. So if you have that piece of paper, use it. Enjoy the day, even if it comes with a wacky, ill-dressed bundle of weird ceremony-ness.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:46 pm

Go if you can. I don’t recall anyone on NOM complaining about going to their child’s wedding in the temple, only those who couldn’t go. The ideal scenario would be for them to be married first and then go to temple
~2bizE

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:54 am

I was in this exact situation 4 years ago this week. I went to the wedding and I’m glad I did. I acted as a witness too. My extended family didn’t know about my change of beliefs (and still don’t). My recommend expired after that and I have not renewed it.

I even went through the temple with my daughter for the first time. I still remind her how weird she thought it was. Of course now she has blocked that out of her memory.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:36 pm

Red Ryder said,
Just go.

Hasn’t the church stolen enough from us?

Why let them take away the chance to see your daughter get married.

You got the ticket.

So go
Completely agree. One of the cruelest aspects of the church organization is that it makes absurdly prohibitive regulations that separate parents and children on the most important days of their lives. As RR says, don't let them take away this opportunity to be there for your daughter. - Wndr.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:32 am

A NOM friend from long ago was telling me about how he had to sit outside his daughter's wedding because he was honest in a recommend interview about his misgivings about The Prophet and the restoration. He sat in the waiting area of the temple and watched relatives walk past him with their recommends. There's uncle Jim who spends his nights at the bar. There's cousin Linda who's cheating on her husband. There's uncle Paul who is in a secret gay relationship...
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:21 am

Deepthinker wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:37 pm
I made the mistake of adding up the amount of tithing I've paid over the years... :x
I've made that mistake before. Now I can't get the number out of my head. My house could be paid off. Kids' colleges could be funded. blah

Don't let them take away seeing your daughter's big day too.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:28 pm

You should Go !!!! You have paid for it why not go. As far as taking the church seriously I bet 60% of members don't take it seriously!!!! Bunch of wacky crap anyway !!!! I don't belong to any political parties or any other groups , Hell I barely belong to the church . I only follow the U.S. constitution and Jesus Christ !!!!!!!!

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:30 pm

You daughter could have a civil wedding if she wanted, with a sealing the next week. In choosing not to, she has already chosen to exclude some family and friends. It was her choice, not yours.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:42 pm

Thanks all! I'm planning on attending!

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:42 pm
Thanks all! I'm planning on attending!
Congratulations. I hope you and your family have a wonderful day.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:45 pm

I made it! I attended my daughter's temple wedding. I was one of the witnesses.

I'm so glad I went!

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm

Deepthinker wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:45 pm

I'm so glad I went!
Yea! I'm glad you went and I'm really glad it seemed to have gone well. Very happy for you and of course for your daughter as well!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 pm

Congrats on the wedding DT!

Glad you could participate.

I’m 100% for the right of all parents to attend their children’s weddings regardless of belief or perceived worthiness in the Mormon church.

As a missionary I recall the complaints about the temple I naively defended. It makes me shutter to think that telling a parent they couldn’t attend their own child’s wedding was ok.

It’s not ok, Mormons. It’s not ok.

Congrats again.

Next up, standing in the circle of the baby blessings. Then the baptisms and confirmations. Grandpa DT has a lot of Mormonism ahead of him. 😀
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:49 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:55 pm
Deepthinker wrote:

I'm so glad I went!
Yea! I'm glad you went and I'm really glad it seemed to have gone well. Very happy for you and of course for your daughter as well!
Thanks! The video presentation I gave at the luncheon in honor of my daughter and her new husband was beautiful! Laughs, tears, love. They did a ring ceremony right after my presentation, which is something they planned to do for me in case I didn't make it to the temple.

Deepthinker

Post by Deepthinker » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:52 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 pm
Congrats on the wedding DT!

Glad you could participate.

I’m 100% for the right of all parents to attend their children’s weddings regardless of belief or perceived worthiness in the Mormon church.

As a missionary I recall the complaints about the temple I naively defended. It makes me shutter to think that telling a parent they couldn’t attend their own child’s wedding was ok.

It’s not ok, Mormons. It’s not ok.

Congrats again.

Next up, standing in the circle of the baby blessings. Then the baptisms and confirmations. Grandpa DT has a lot of Mormonism ahead of him. 😀
Thanks RR!

They have changed the words of the ceremony, it's better than it used to be with the word "love" actually used.

I made the same defenses and had no idea I was promoting families being not together for such events.

I'm looking forward to the grandpa title! They're not in any rush to have kids, and I am in support of it, but I really do want some grandkids.

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Deepthinker wrote:

I'm so glad I went!
This is just wonderful! I'm glad you made it and it was a good experience!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm

Deepthinker wrote:

I'm so glad I went!

Congrats!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...