Bishops and liabilities

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Bishops and liabilities

Post by 2bizE » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:12 pm

Every few weeks there seems to be a new lawsuit against the church and church leaders or a bishop is arrested for molesting children.
I think from a legal perspective, bishops are at high risk for legal action against them. They are generally untrained and at times get mixed up in legal matters.

If I were ever called to serve as bishop or a counselor, I would decline, at least for the legal risks involved. Have any of you seen any trends of people declining callings of Bishop on the grounds of the legal risks and implications involved?

Link to a current lawsuit involving the church leaders not reporting child abuse:

https://kutv.com/news/local/lawsuit-fil ... 12-18-2020
~2bizE

blazerb

Re: Bishops and liabilities

Post by blazerb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:10 pm

I know this was deeply on my mind when I was last a ward clerk. I wasn't worried about being alone with children, but I had a lot of responsibility for people's donations. That weighed on me a lot. It also became clear, from the stories told in training, that the church was most concerned with protecting its assets, not helping me avoid mistakes.

I can only imagine what bishops must go through. It would have eaten me up to be hearing people confess to things I didn't need to know about.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:23 am

Kirton McConkie should balance being a criminal advocate with being a victim's advocate too.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

River Morgan2

Post by River Morgan2 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:51 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:23 am
Kirton McConkie should balance being a criminal advocate with being a victim's advocate too.
But being a victim's advocate doesn't pay! By being just the former, Kirton McConkie gets paid VERY well in the coin of the realm and in a great retirement plan both, don't cha know.

😂
River
Every time you find humor in a difficult situation, you win. -Snoopy