Cis/Trans

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Cis/Trans

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:34 pm

I was having a hard time constantly running into the prefix cis in various forum posts, so I thought of this example to help remember:

Utah is Trans-Colorado, whereas Kansas is Cis-Colorado.

Hope that helps.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Re: Cis/Trans

Post by 2bizE » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:05 pm

Thanks for clearing that up for us friendly penguin....I think I still might need to Google it... :lol:
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:27 am

Another definition: in organic chemistry, cis indicates that the functional groups are on the same side of the carbon chain while trans conveys that functional groups are on opposing sides of the carbon chain.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:35 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:27 am
Another definition: in organic chemistry, cis indicates that the functional groups are on the same side of the carbon chain while trans conveys that functional groups are on opposing sides of the carbon chain.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:50 pm

I suppose you could consider Colorado as a carbon chain if you had inhaled enough of an important Colorado agricultural product.

Wouldn't it be fun to take a ride on the Trans Siberian Railway?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:14 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:50 pm
I suppose you could consider Colorado as a carbon chain if you had inhaled enough of an important Colorado agricultural product.

Good point bird man! I should have posted the THC molecule instead of that more magic one.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:04 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:14 pm
moksha wrote:

Good point bird man! I should have posted the THC molecule instead of that more magic one.
I like the one you chose. I happen to have a keyhole inside my skull that has the same shape.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
No way, your psilocybin molecule would make us more creative... or at least more far out, man!
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:28 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
No way, your psilocybin molecule would make us more creative... or at least more far out, man!
I'll admit vitamin P packs a more creative and cosmic punch than vitamin T, but this past year I've unlocked many surprising experiential secrets of vitamin T; it has exceeded expectation. T also provides a much lower investment in time and physical costs. Setting and mindset make all the difference on any mental adventure you set out on. Also, my ego hates vitamin P and loves the T. Thus frequency of use is like a beer with dinner vs. being a contestant on survivor where you don't know if you'll have a good day and get immunity or if you'll be booted off the island.
--Douglas Adams

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:02 pm

moksha wrote:

Is there a Cis Siberian Railway?