Murder Among the Mormons

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Murder Among the Mormons

Post by Hagoth » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm

A new Netflix docuseries about the Mark Hoffman bombings is scheduled for release on March 4. This should be quality stuff, considering that it's directed by Jared Hess (Napoleon Dynamite) and Tyler Measom (An Honest Liar). Suddenly a month seems like a looooong time.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... -exclusive
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Murder Among the Mormons

Post by moksha » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:39 am

I would love to see the scene where Dallin Oaks sits down to write a letter to the Editor of the Salt Lake Tribune of why members should accept the truth of the White Salamander Letter.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 am

I went to a premier of An Honest Liar before it was released. Doug Fabrizio hosted and did an on-stage interview and Q&A with Tyler Measom. Measom said his greatest dream is to make a drama series based on the Joseph Smith story. Maybe this will get him a step closer to making that happen.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:06 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:26 am
I went to a premier of An Honest Liar before it was released. Doug Fabrizio hosted and did an on-stage interview and Q&A with Tyler Measom. Measom said his greatest dream is to make a drama series based on the Joseph Smith story. Maybe this will get him a step closer to making that happen.
I've said before that I cannot believe there is not a Netflix or HBO type series that goes through the Joseph Smith story. It would absolutely be a hit because it's just so insane even if you stick to a historical framework... if I had a contact at Netflix I'd be trying to get them to fund it because it could be huge.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:36 am

Even if you made it kind of faith-promoting but stuck to the Rough Stone Rolling story vs. the Sunday School manual version it would still make L Ron Hubbard look like a librarian by comparison.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:36 am
Even if you made it kind of faith-promoting but stuck to the Rough Stone Rolling story vs. the Sunday School manual version it would still make L Ron Hubbard look like a librarian by comparison.
When I think about it, where I get tripped up is how you set it up... the format would be tricky because you'd want to cover both what the church believed Joseph Smith was doing against what he was actually doing.

I started a thread about this in 2019 ([url]https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.ph ... lix#p65347[/url)]- I really think it would be a hit if it was done right because I'm so fascinated by Mormonism and the few people I've talked to that are "nevermos" cannot believe half the stuff I tell them.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm

If they made it with a West World vibe mixed with a Breaking Bad story line where JS slides from innocent to psycho crazy dude.

Brian Cranston as Joseph Smith.

The pilot episode starts with Joseph making out with Fanny in the back seat of a Cadillac Escalade as it meanders through Brigham Young’s car wash. Emma just happens to be at the same car wash getting the mini van vacuumed out because JS3 and Frederick were throwing Cheerios at Don Carlos. Normally she wouldn’t care about Cheerios but the Smiths are selling their assets to fund Joseph’s new book he’s writing, er I mean translating.

As the dryer turns off Joseph makes a break for it in the shiny Escalade. Emma follows a few car lengths behind to a condo on the south side where she watches Joesph hug fanny goodbye. She then follows him to another condo on the south side where he picks up another girl named Nancy.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm

A MORmON-related docuseries that I'm actually looking forward to. :shock:

Real Utah history that I lived through, but only tiny bits of what went on with Mark Hofman filtered through my impenetrable MORmON bubble. I literally only remember bits and pieces of what happened. And also some bits and pieces of my parents talking about the apologetic version of what happened; Probably to get me and my siblings to ignore the "Prophets" behind the curtain who were completely wrong about all of it. (If that was their goal, it seems to have worked in my case.)

Edit: I also had no idea aboot Tyler Measom's past history with the COPOTCOJCOL-dS. I've really only seen "An Honest Liar" but based on that, Murder Among The Mormons should be good stuff.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:49 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:57 am

When I think about it, where I get tripped up is how you set it up... the format would be tricky because you'd want to cover both what the church believed Joseph Smith was doing against what he was actually doing.
Trying to remember the name of a series from HBO where they tell the story from both sides of the people who are involved. Wasn't that called "The Affair" or something like that?
One way the guy looks like he's enjoying a consensual extra-marital affair and the other way looks like a young woman being manipulated by a rotten scoundrel.

I quit watching because it just wasn't worth it but it was an interesting method of telling two sides of the story. Plus I just don't do HBO to begin with. I think the only reason we had it was because we were staying in a vacation rental for a week.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:08 pm
If they made it with a West World vibe mixed with a Breaking Bad story line where JS slides from innocent to psycho crazy dude.
Whoa, the JS story in a modern setting would be amazing.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:17 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm
I literally only remember bits and pieces of what happened.
I remember reading Dallin Oaks' defense of the White Salamander letter in the Church News. I also remember a hilarious Pat Bagley cartoon of a white salamander escaping from a vault and slipping away between the legs of a bunch of old guys in suits who are desperately trying to prevent it from escaping.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 pm

Now the church is going to have to produce a movie called Murder Among the Mormons to bury the search results for this movie.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:29 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:17 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:59 pm
I literally only remember bits and pieces of what happened.
I remember reading Dallin Oaks' defense of the White Salamander letter in the Church News. I also remember a hilarious Pat Bagley cartoon of a white salamander escaping from a vault and slipping away between the legs of a bunch of old guys in suits who are desperately trying to prevent it from escaping.
The apologetic mumbling of my parents I typed of in my other post were probably related to Mr. Oaks' defense of the white salamander. My completely fallible memories are something regarding "beings of light" or some such thing being able to represent themselves as various amphibious creatures. Was Oaks' defense something similar? Were there frogs involved? Did said frogs sing about rainbows? :twisted: My teenage brain just blew off the conversation as something goofy my slightly crazy parents were discussing.

And I've also seen the Bagley cartoon... ~30 years after the events it portrays.

nibbler wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:03 pm
Now the church is going to have to produce a movie called Murder Among the Mormons to bury the search results for this movie.
Now that statement is just completely crazy... Oh, wait; That the exact scenario already happened "in our (recent past) daily lives."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:30 pm

The trailer that is being spewed profusely all over the "DAMU"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViNNMQEW9fU

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander