Ward Mission Leaders are annoying

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Ward Mission Leaders are annoying

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm

Ward mission leader and elders stopped by.

WML: “We’d like to invite you back to church”

RR: nope, we are staying home to be safe from COVID.

WML: the whole ward has practically had it. You should be ok.

RR: really? Wow.

WML: I can write you guys a prescription if you need one. (He’s a physician)

RR: don’t need anything but uh thanks?

WML: so will be see you on Sunday.

RR: nope, not during the pandemic.

WML: the whole ward has practically had it. You should be ok.

RR: you said that. I wonder how many ward members passed it to each other?

WML: I can write prescriptions....

RR to myself: why did I answer the door?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Re: Ward Mission Leaders are annoying

Post by nibbler » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:04 pm

the whole ward has practically had it.
And now you know why
we are staying home to be safe from COVID
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Brent

Post by Brent » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:49 pm

WML is the worst gig you can get at church. Pity the fool.

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am

Are you sure he's a physician? Sounds like a high pressure salesman to me.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:09 am

The missionaries stopped by my house last night. It was a surreal experience listening to my wife explain that we'd all recently sent in our resignation letters. I'm so grateful I didn't have to listen to a message from them or something. Tender mercies.

Of course, then they had to ask two or three times if there was anything they could do for us. Way to make it even more awkward.

How many times did I say and do awkward things like that on my mission? Too many to count, I'm sure.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm

RR, are you planning on returning after the pandemic?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm
My brain says hell no!
My heart says “I’ll sit next to the wife to keep her off the widow’s back row.” I’m willing to go for her image because it means that much to her.

In the grand scheme of things I’d sit next to my family if I was catholic, or Baptist, or whatever. I can handle sitting for an hour and just check out by reading or other phone distractions.

However, I’m also preparing her for the day I just say I’m done. We’ve already had a few conversations about going back. Especially since we’ve all had Covid. I’ve simply said I’m not willing yet and that has caused a few tears.

So to answer the question. Perhaps.

I must also say that the taste of Sunday freedom from the Mormon Church is very tasty and I desire all to receive it.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:04 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm
2bizE wrote:
My brain says hell no!
My heart says “I’ll sit next to the wife to keep her off the widow’s back row.” I’m willing to go for her image because it means that much to her.

In the grand scheme of things I’d sit next to my family if I was catholic, or Baptist, or whatever. I can handle sitting for an hour and just check out by reading or other phone distractions.

However, I’m also preparing her for the day I just say I’m done. We’ve already had a few conversations about going back. Especially since we’ve all had Covid. I’ve simply said I’m not willing yet and that has caused a few tears.

I must also say that the taste of Sunday freedom from the Mormon Church is very tasty and I desire all to receive it.
I have arisen with my right hand extended to receive the third token of Covid freedom and the fellowship of the mask: boot to boot, knee to knee, hand sanitizer in pocket to hand sanitizer in pocket, mask to face shield, and forearm to forearm bump.
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:34 am

Ward Mission Leader is definitely one calling I would turn down. Even during my full believing days it sounded painful and I was trying to not look too relieved when someone else had the calling.

I think your idea to simply attend with your wife is admirable, but that kind of effort on your part is not likely to be reciprocated with gratitude. It's supposed to be the bare minimum of an LDS life that any slacker can do. But it's treated like an obligation and not as an act deserving of gratitude. Good luck with your marital negotiations. Mine are similar except that my wife still wants to go on a senior mission in about 12 years.

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:06 pm
2bizE wrote:
My brain says hell no!

You are a kind husband RR. I don't know if I can willingly go back to the weekly emotional and epistemological beating, at the cost of a relaxing day off. Terrible trade. It has been so so nice being free of it.

I floated the idea of going together every other week, and staying home together every other week to DW when stuff was real last week regarding coffee. Maybe I'll push for that. We can both suffer :lol:
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Linked wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:32 am
I floated the idea of going together every other week, and staying home together every other week to DW when stuff was real last week regarding coffee. Maybe I'll push for that. We can both suffer :lol:
I like this idea better.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 am

I accepted a call to be the WML after I was released from the bishopric several years ago and sorta in the beginning times of my serious disaffection. I told the bishop, you know me, you know that I hate missionary work and I would suck at this.

To his credit, he sorta agreed but said he still wanted me, because he knew I'd do it differently than anyone else and that's what he wanted. Ok..

So, in my first pulpit talk as the WML I told everyone how to STOP being a missionary, and to start being friends. To my great surprise, lots of people wanted copies of the talk. I would get requests for the talk for several months after that.

To my even greater surprise, the next year the bishop said that we were the only ward in the stake who met their baptismal goal, and that was the first year we'd ever met it as best as he could remember. My response, "There was a baptismal goal?"

I told him, well this obviously wasn't because of anything I did, unless doing next to nothing and not trying to push the church on people somehow made us more attractive. I did have a couple of friends who joined, and I baptised one of them, but their decision was something they made on their own with zero encouragement from me, other than friendly support. This support continued when the same bishop drove them out with persistent pressure to do stuff.. cuz dang we all NEED callings and annoying home teachers!

Still I appreciated the faith that bishop had in my unorthodoxy. I could not do that calling now. I'm too far out.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:19 am
I accepted a call to be the WML after I was released from the bishopric several years ago and sorta in the beginning times of my serious disaffection. I told the bishop, you know me, you know that I hate missionary work and I would suck at this.

To his credit, he sorta agreed but said he still wanted me, because he knew I'd do it differently than anyone else and that's what he wanted. Ok..

So, in my first pulpit talk as the WML I told everyone how to STOP being a missionary, and to start being friends. To my great surprise, lots of people wanted copies of the talk. I would get requests for the talk for several months after that.

To my even greater surprise, the next year the bishop said that we were the only ward in the stake who met their baptismal goal, and that was the first year we'd ever met it as best as he could remember. My response, "There was a baptismal goal?"

I told him, well this obviously wasn't because of anything I did, unless doing next to nothing and not trying to push the church on people somehow made us more attractive. I did have a couple of friends who joined, and I baptised one of them, but their decision was something they made on their own with zero encouragement from me, other than friendly support. This support continued when the same bishop drove them out with persistent pressure to do stuff.. cuz dang we all NEED callings and annoying home teachers!

Still I appreciated the faith that bishop had in my unorthodoxy. I could not do that calling now. I'm too far out.
That sounds like a great talk. The church pushes people so hard to build relationships to encourage membership that nobody ever builds a real relationship. It's sad. Hopefully your ward took it to heart, even if it means more mormons :D

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:12 am

Thanks.

I think I called the talk "top ten ways to be a member missionary" or something like that. One of the ways was clearly, "stop being a missionary." For some reason, it caught on for a while.

I have difficulty believing the WML (me) was the primary reason the ward met the baptismal goals that year, but I can tell you that if any ward member knew we even had baptismal goals, they didn't hear that from the WML. From the stake perspective, our ward's WML didn't do what he was supposed to do, attend the meetings he was supposed to attend, or meet regularly with the missionaries and press the ward missionaries to do all the shit they were supposed to do. Apparently, they'd complain to the bishop, who for whatever reason, had my back and supported my unorthodox approach. Maybe he thought it was ultimately on him since the call was his idea.. (cough) I mean the Lord's idea through him. Maybe he was inspired. We'll say it was that.

He also insulated me from the stake complaints, then obviously had the last smile when he was able to tell them, hey who was the only ward in the stake to meet their baptismal goal!?

As a WML I was still in the inner priesthood circle, as I had been being in the bishopric, but now in charge of our ward's slice of church mission that makes me the most uncomfortable. I served a FT honorable mission and had a good experience, but damned if I ever want to do that again--or anything like unto it.

I mention that inner priesthood circle, because from that circle it's easier to shake the tree and ask the logical, though perhaps outside the box, questions.

I remember a mtg ... What are they called, priesthood executive council? The one where we kick out the women so we don't have to listen to any ideas that make sense, I mean the one we don't force the nice ladies to attend so they can stay home and get the kids ready for church. That meeting. Anyway, in one particular top secret priesthood only meeting we also had some of the super top stake leaders, including stake counselors but not the stake president himself. These stake guys were grilling, I mean politely asking our bishop about various ward members, specifying them by name, inquiring why they didn't have temple recommends.

The bishop said the biggest issue with these people is tithing. He said they'd pay a little while, but just couldn't keep up. But, but, but, bishop we've got this goal to have so many percentage getting the blessings of the temple!. Then in true council fashion, they asked the rest of us if we had any ideas.

I spoke up and asked how long someone had to be paying their tithing before they could get a recommend to go get the blessings of the temple. The bishop stammered a bit and said something like, well, it has been our practice, based on stake direction, that they need to be continually paying for six months. I then just asked, Why? When no one answered, I asked if the handbook said six months. The bishop said he didn't think it said specifically, and the stake counselor said that's just been our understanding. They did acknowledge that the Lord didn't require the payment of back tithing. So this is easy, I said.. I suggested that the bishop just ask Brother Can't Quite Keep up with Tithing back in for a temple interview later that day and after that brother says he hasn't been paying his tithing, tell him ok, I'm going to have you come back in tomorrow and I'm going to ask you the same question. Just tell him to pay his tithing for today. If the goal is to get more people the blessings of the temple, then let's do that.

Apparently that wasn't really the goal.

I guess if we make those golden tickets too inexpensive for some people, those that paid a fortune for them might feel bad.

Didn't mean to derail with a different story.