Masks

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Re: Masks

Post by Linked » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:01 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm
So with all the protests against the masks, Utah rather sucks with getting vaccines in people's arms.

According to John Hobkins University's tracker, as of 3-3-21, Utah, ranks #42 out of 50 states for full vaccination. A meer 2.84% of the population had had the complete round of shots. Considering the national average is 8.23% and the highest state is New Mexico* with 12.17%, Utah is bringing down the national numbers.

To be fare, JHU does say that reporting on vaccines is not nearly as good as Covid testing, but this info is about the best we have at the moment.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/us-states

*West Virginia ranks #2 at 11.83% :mrgreen:
This is not true. Utah has a population of ~3.206M, and according to the Salt Lake Tribune this morning 269,368 people have been fully vaccinated, including my parents, DW, sister and BIL. So 8.40% of the population has been fully vaccinated. The linked site shows it as 8.52%. Utah has it's issues, but the vaccine rollout is not one of them; they had some hickups at first, but since then things have been pretty fast and smooth.

ETA: Perhaps not fast and smooth enough after a closer reading of the issues people on the board are having. But the state is definitely not sitting on vaccine, and has been pretty quick to address any roadblocks.

"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:25 am

alas wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:47 am
The fastest growing counties are of course the hardest hit by this 10 year old data problem, and Washington county is probably *the* fastest growing. But, yes, he has to get his second in the same county. We considered running up to Idaho where we are legal residents, rather than winter residents, but since we are in different categories, 4 trips. I heard in Idaho getting in is easy.
Maybe just check Iron County if you're searching for an opportunity for your first shot.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:10 am
Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm
So with all the protests against the masks, Utah rather sucks with getting vaccines in people's arms.

According to John Hobkins University's tracker, as of 3-3-21, Utah, ranks #42 out of 50 states for full vaccination. A meer 2.84% of the population had had the complete round of shots. Considering the national average is 8.23% and the highest state is New Mexico* with 12.17%, Utah is bringing down the national numbers.

To be fare, JHU does say that reporting on vaccines is not nearly as good as Covid testing, but this info is about the best we have at the moment.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/vaccines/us-states

*West Virginia ranks #2 at 11.83% :mrgreen:
I wonder if this correlates to Utah having the lowest average age of population in the US and the requirement to be over 65 to get the shot. If that’s the case, I can see why the numbers would be what there are in the comparison. Utah has a huge population that can’t even get the shot yet, not as many eligible older residents as the other states being compared. Anyone know if that’s the case?
Utah Health Department claims to be distributing the vaccines as they are received. They don't seem to be "sitting" on extra doses. Unknown if the age demographic has anything to do with the number of vaccines the state is receiving.

Vaccines.jpg

There are a couple problems here. First off is the data reporting. When COngress passed the funding to pay for all Covid-19 testing, they included the provision that all testing had to be reported to the government. AS such, JHU took that government data and that populates their tracker. There are others, but they were first and have become the default go-to one for most people. However, there is not the same reporting requirement for vaccines. So their data is reliant of states to self report the info. So even they acknowledge that there are gaps in the data. Also data from some states is delayed by a week or more.

To illiterate that, Utah jumped up to 8.52% full vaccination. Either they have a fluke in the data or Utah just provided a data dump yesterday. I'll given them until tomorrow to sort it out. Not the first time it happened and numbers dropped again once they fix it.

Honestly, I think the 2010 vs 2020 census info thing is a bit of a red herring. Utah grew by about 500,000 people over 10 years, that's about 15% growth. That doesn't account for the low numbers compared to similar sized state. Mississippi, Arkansas, & Kansas all had a similar population as Utah in 2010 but each has been running higher in full vaccination rates.

The other thing, is how is the vaccines being administered? JHU says that as of 3-4-20, Utah has administered a total of 759,533 doses of the vaccine, with 269,368 people have gotten both doses. That works out to 220,797 people who have only had once of the 2 doses. Utah could be pushing to get more people 1st dose figuring partial protection in more people is a better options.

Considering WV jumped from 11.6% yesterday to 18.03% today, I'm guessing there is something up in the JHU data. I would like to think we put a crap ton of shots in people's arms yesterday, but I highly doubt it. I'll check back in a day or two.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:34 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 pm
Considering WV jumped from 11.6% yesterday to 18.03% today, I'm guessing there is something up in the JHU data. I would like to think we put a crap ton of shots in people's arms yesterday, but I highly doubt it. I'll check back in a day or two.
Yeah, I'll stick with local health department data over JHU at this point.

From Utah Health Dept. today: "About 75% of people ages 70 and over have had at least one vaccine dose, and about 52% of the 65-69 age group have now received at least one dose". Folks 65-69 have only been eligible for the vaccine in UT for two weeks, and over 50% of them have already been jabbed in the arm.

I'm just fine with those numbers above (a bit shocked to be honest.) The most vulnerable folks in the Shadow Of The Everlasting Corporation are getting vaccinated quickly, and as mentioned: I'm more than OK with those numbers.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Linked

Post by Linked » Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:34 pm
To illiterate that, Utah jumped up to 8.52% full vaccination. Either they have a fluke in the data or Utah just provided a data dump yesterday. I'll given them until tomorrow to sort it out. Not the first time it happened and numbers dropped again once they fix it.

The other thing, is how is the vaccines being administered? JHU says that as of 3-4-20, Utah has administered a total of 759,533 doses of the vaccine, with 269,368 people have gotten both doses. That works out to 220,797 people who have only had once of the 2 doses. Utah could be pushing to get more people 1st dose figuring partial protection in more people is a better options.

There may be some issues with the JHU site. I read the Trib every morning and they report Utah vaccination numbers daily. They have been climbing steadily since vaccinations began, no jumps. As for 1st and 2nd doses, the 5 people I know who got the vaccine were able to sign up online for each shot without too much trouble. I think they are leaving it to the individual to make sure you schedule the 2nd appointment though, so maybe there are some people not going back for the booster.

From what I read a few weeks ago West Virginia is the poster child for vaccine administrations, whether they had a data-glitch jump or not. They got the National Guard involved from day 1 and appear to be doing a great job.

Now we just need more vaccine, and with the Johnson and Johnson vaccine approval along with the Merck deal for faster production, that should be taken care of. I expect to have a first shot by May from what I've read, as a relatively young person in Utah with no significant co-morbidities.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:37 pm

Relevant:
Linked wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:27 pm
The Trib posted an article about the vaccine rollout in Utah today, going over why Utah has a lower percentage of vaccinated population than other states. According to the article Utah has a young population, and the federal government is using old census data (both of which were discussed here previously). But Utah is almost top 10 for getting delivered vaccines administered.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander