The Rainbow " Y "

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Re: The Rainbow " Y "

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:28 am

Rumor has it that it wasn’t all BYU students.

A few local Mia Maids and Teachers may have made the hike.

The church is losing Control of the youth.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:30 am

I desire further light and knowledge...

-lost

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm

Are you allowed off the trail and onto the Y itself without permission? In most cases with Forest Service land, you can walk the trails, but they do not want you leaving the marked paths. I don't know how this applies to the Y.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:50 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:12 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm
Are you allowed off the trail and onto the Y itself without permission? In most cases with Forest Service land, you can walk the trails, but they do not want you leaving the marked paths. I don't know how this applies to the Y.
Can anyone go deface or change something not belonging to them because they disagree with the groups politics or beliefs?
I'm sorry, but I missed they Y getting defaced. Can you provide a reference for that? All I say was stories where people shone colored lights on the Y. Lights are not defacing anything. Legally, defacing is to destroy or mar the face or surface of. Flashlights do not damage or mar the surface of it. As I said, at most they may be able to complain about someone leaving the marked trail to walk up and down the sides of the Y. And even that would be a real stretch to actually press any charges.

Is it still a thing when people will light up the U in blue or the Y in red when they play each other? I remember that being a thing when I lived in West Jordan back in the 90's.

There was no damage to anything other than some egos here and there. Sounds like a pretty good political protest regardless of where you stand on the issue. Way better than most protests that hit the news these days. BYU has plenty of things it should be worrying about. Maybe actually addressing issues with LGBT discrimination, abuse and harassment via Honor code, campus police refusing to follow documentation reporting laws, etc.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

alas

Post by alas » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:55 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:53 pm
I personally don't think it matters. No one has answered my question if it is ok for me to go post pictures of aborted babies on the windows of planned parenthood. Can a neo-Nazi post swastikas on a synagogue? Yes, these may be a little bit different but the principle remains the same. Can anyone go deface or change something not belonging to them because they disagree with the groups politics or beliefs? So what if the church doesn't like gays that's much. I would be that gays don't like the church too much. If it's ok for the LGBTQ to do this to their opposition's property then it goes without saying that it would be ok for the church to have the deacons post Leviticus 20:13 on every building that has a rainbow flag on it.
Shinning colored flashlights on the Y did no damaged to it. So, no the principle isn’t the same as painting something on a building or even posting on a website. Paint on a building has to be removed as does offensive material on a website. But light shinning on a building does not have to be removed. I am just not sure what you mean by “posting” something on a building. Do you take it down as you leave or leave something that has to be removed. And, yes, the church could shine any kind of flashlight onto any building with a gay flag on it. Just like some anti trumpers projected some anti trump stuff onto trump’s hotel. There wasn’t a thing trump could do because it was only light being shone onto his property.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:52 pm

For most of it's existence, the Y was public Forest Service property. In 2014, mormon reps got the forest service to sell the land to BYU but the public retains access.

https://news.byu.edu/news/byu-announces ... trail-land

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
No one has answered my question if it is ok for me to go post pictures of aborted babies on the windows of planned parenthood. Can a neo-Nazi post swastikas on a synagogue?
If you'd like to create a flashlight that can shine pictures of aborted babies onto a planned parenthood building, or shine swastikas on a synagogue, I'm pretty sure that you could find some folks who would support you in your efforts to "prove your point." Pretty sure you could claim it is within your "free speech" rights also.

I wouldn't expect too much support from former believing MORmONs however...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:45 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am
If you'd like to create a flashlight that can shine pictures of aborted mormon doctrine...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:47 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
If it's ok for the LGBTQ to do this to their opposition's property then it goes without saying that it would be ok for the church to have the deacons post Leviticus 20:13 on every building that has a rainbow flag on it.
I'm pretty sure it would be just fine if deacons shined blue flashlights on those buildings in honor of BYU.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:53 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Can anyone go deface or change something not belonging to them because they disagree with the group's politics or beliefs?
Even the most obedient LDS judge would have a hard time with the argument that flashlight beams defaced BYU's property. To make that argument stick, you would have to deal with the BYU Honors Committee. In all honesty, this was a protest event that Gandhi would have labeled as being brilliant (and colorful).
If it's ok for the LGBTQ to do this to their opposition's property

I would have said their persecutor's property.
...then it goes without saying that it would be ok for the church to have the deacons post Leviticus 20:13 on every building that has a rainbow flag on it.
Sounds like an interesting idea. Would you have them use spray paint or a flashlight?

BTW, it shouldn't be too hard to track down those LGBTQ supporters for persecution. While it was being adjudicated as to whether the BYU Police Department should exist, BYU created a new BYU Security Department. It consists of 10 paid staff and 300 student snitches. This new department is free to violate the student's rights without needing to worry about any Utah State oversight. I assume this also applies to Mia Maids.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/education/ ... -security/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:14 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:12 pm
How about people with differing opinions, views and beliefs just leave one another alone.
Because it's not just about differing beliefs. It's about discrimination. if people who are discriminated against aren't willing to stand up for themselves, nobody will! Maybe Rosa Parks should have just stayed at the back of the bus. Maybe Dr. King should have just accepted things as they were and not cluttered up the Edmund Pettit bridge. Maybe Cesar Chavez should have told migrant workers just to be grateful for what they had. Maybe women should have just kept their mouths shut and stayed in the kitchen where they belong. I'm sure everything would have just taken care of itself.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm

I think what concerns me most is that the people who freak out about kids shining colored flashlights seem to have no complaints when a bunch of "patriots" in combat gear show up with assault rifles -machines designed specifically to kill people - at a BLM demonstration.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:12 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:29 pm
The problem I see is that the LGBTQ community won't stop forcing their sexuality in everyone's face until everyone submits to their way. Not everyone is going to like you. They never will. Regardless of whatever trait you may have. Red hair, dark skin, short, tall, ugly whatever.
Sure, but have you tried to look at it from their point of view, and have you considered how history has treated them? Do you not think that our sexuality has been forced in their faces? Have you seen the numbers of homeless and suicidal kids in Utah who have been sidelined by family and church? I care because I know and love some of these very good, sincere and kind young people - some of them are among the most giving, selfless, and caring people I know. Go look at who's risking their health in COVID-land to help the homeless, deliver meals to the elderly, etc. and you will see that the LGBT community is overrepresented. And I promise you this isn't about trying to make everyone submit to their ways; it's about trying to be accepted as human beings.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:35 pm
Both of these examples are what I find childish. Believe what you want. Love who you want. Hate who you want etc. But leave others who may disagree with you alone. If the "Y" doesn't belong to you, leave it alone. If you aren't part of a protest, don't go down there looking for a fight with those you disagree with. Its not just about the Y. I could not care less about the Y. I wish the church would implode on itself. What I disagree with is messing with (even if it's just flashlights) other people's private property because you disagree with a, b or c. Let people hate who they want and love who they want. Just leave people alone.
Can we assume that you were equally upset when BYU students lit up the " U " in BLUE?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:27 pm

20210317_222749.jpg
20210317_222749.jpg (218.71 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:33 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 pm
leave them alone to preach as they may.
For evil to prevail, good men do nothing.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:58 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:35 pm
What I disagree with is messing with (even if it's just flashlights) other people's private property because you disagree with a, b or c. Let people hate who they want and love who they want. Just leave people alone.
I hear what you're saying, but the point of this whole discussion is that people were upset about this BECAUSE these LGBTQ kids, not because they shined colored lights. Do you really think so many people would have gotten all bent out of shape if a bunch of straight kids had hiked up there yesterday and illuminated the Y with green lights for St. Patrick's Day?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:00 am

Angel wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:33 pm
Blashyrkh wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:35 pm
leave them alone to preach as they may.
For evil to prevail, good men do nothing.
And people on both sides frame themselves as the "good men!"

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:36 am

It tells me the church has so lost the gay battle. I wonder when they will realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Red Ryder

Re: The Rainbow

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:38 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:36 am
It tells me the church has so lost the gay battle. I wonder when they will realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2078?