The Rainbow " Y "

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
wtfluff

The Rainbow " Y "

Post by wtfluff » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 pm

This "thing" that happened on the evening of 3/4/2021 in the heart of the Morridor has gone a bit crazy elsewhere on the internet, among both believers and non-believers.

Since it hasn't been mentioned here I thought I would bring it up. Thoughts?

RainbowY.jpg
RainbowY.jpg (64.74 KiB) Viewed 5692 times

Discuss...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Re: The Rainbow " Y "

Post by moksha » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:58 pm

This was a bold and gutsy move by these BYU students and I am proud of them. That said, I hope they can successfully seek asylum in Salt Lake County.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:16 am

My understanding is a bunch of people went up there with flashlights and some type of color plastic over their flashlights and made the rainbow colors. Good for them.
According to BYUPD using flashlights does not constitute breaking the law....however, BYUPD had prior notice and set up game trail cameras to capture images of all the people...they will now be reported to the honor code office and expelled from BYU for supporting the Gay cause. :)
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:16 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm
Against this. My step daughter is a lesbian. I am fine with that. Now while I don't understand this lifestyle I have no problem with people living however they choose. However. When I didn't jump up and down and throw a coming out party for my step daughter and I will not go to the annual LGBTQ parade to "support" she decided that I needed the rainbow flag on my truck. Sorry, this is my personal property and whether I support you or not you have no right to violate my personal property. These students have no right to trespass and do what they did regardless of what point they wanted to make. Do I have the right to post pictures of dead babies on a Planned Parenthood window just to express my views? Can I go go to the local dairy and free all the cattle because I happen to be a vegetarian?
You're against kids with colored flashlights eh?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:23 pm

I love it! Good for them!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:41 pm

The hike to the "Y" is popular - it's a well-traveled trail. The students wanted to have a peaceful, quiet, protest that conveyed the idea that gay people were at BYU and that they wanted others to know that they were there. Apparently, they did no damage and did not vandalize the land around the Y. If they had thrown paint on the Y or placed stickers on cars, or had disrupted classes in session, then they might be accused of vandalism or trespassing. But under the circumstances, it was a quiet method of telling the community that they were at the university.

Gay people have been marginalized and minimized by the church since its inception. They wanted to speak out against being marginalized, and they wanted to do so non-violently. I think it was a creative, peaceful way to make a statement. Just my opinion. Wndr.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:57 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Can I go to the local dairy and free all the cattle because I happen to be a vegetarian?
If you do this, how will they get to hamburger heaven? If BYU does not overreact in seeking retribution how will this make international headlines?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 am

Brother Benson, ca. 1965 wrote:
Against this. My step daughter is courting an African. I am fine with that. Now while I don't understand this lifestyle I have no problem with people living however they choose. However. When I didn't jump up and down and throw a coming out party for my step daughter and I will not go to the annual civil rights parade to "support" she decided that I needed a quote from Dr King on my truck. Sorry, this is my personal property and whether I support you or not you have no right to violate my personal property. These students have no right to trespass and do what they did regardless of what point they wanted to make. Can I go go to the local dairy and free all the cattle because I happen to be a vegetarian?
They didn't do anything of the kind. They shined lights on it. Get a grip. This is probably the least civilly disobedient civil disobedience ever. Even if they had, they would be at least somewhat justified, because their cause is just.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 am

• Blashyrkh wrote:
    These students have no right to trespass and do what they did regardless of what point they wanted to make.
    I'd just like to point out that kids who aren't gay hike up there all the time and nobody seems to care. I doubt anyone would be freaking out if the Young Republicans went up there with red, white and blue flashlights.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:31 am
  • Blashyrkh wrote:
    These students have no right to trespass and do what they did regardless of what point they wanted to make.
    I'd just like to point out that kids who aren't gay hike up there all the time and nobody seems to care. I doubt anyone would be freaking out if the Young Republicans went up there with red, white and blue flashlights.
Yep. Nice, paved parking lots right at the "Hike The Y" trailhead. A well-defined, and maintained(?) trail. The trail looks consistently busy, including Co-eds constantly hiking up there for dates and NCMO sessions (as urban legend has it.)

I'm sure there are "No Trespassing" signs everywhere, and those kids (without colored flashlights) are getting disciplined by the Honor Code office constantly, right?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 am

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 am
I'm sure there are "No Trespassing" signs everywhere, and those kids (without colored flashlights) are getting disciplined by the Honor Code office constantly, right?
It's a popular hike for (straight) sudents and church youth groups, with a well-groomed trail:

And easy public access:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 am

Does the conversation change if a large group of protestors with flashlights light up a Mormon temple with the rainbow from the public side of the sidewalk?

Asking for a large group of friends? :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:23 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:07 am
It's a popular hike for (straight) sudents and church youth groups, with a well-groomed trail:
And easy public access:
I just learned that when YBU purchased the "Y" that part of the contract was that YBU had to retain the open and free public access.

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:24 am
Does the conversation change if a large group of protestors with flashlights light up a Mormon temple with the rainbow from the public side of the sidewalk?

Asking for a large group of friends? :mrgreen:
April Conference is less than 4 weeks away. (Hint, Hint.) :lol:

There are lots of buildings owned by LDS-Inc. in downtown SLC that would look great in rainbow colors. COB light-up anyone?

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:12 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:23 pm
There are lots of buildings owned by LDS-Inc. in downtown SLC that would look great in rainbow colors. COB light-up anyone?
How about a really bright slide projector from a window of the Plaza hotel?

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:25 pm

Those night lights on the spires of the Tabernacle........ hmmm. 8-) ........it might not be too difficult to put multi-colored gels over those lights and turn the lighted spires into rainbow colors. It would make Temple Square look so festive for conference.!.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Check out this vintage Christmas postcard:

Looks like the church got about halfway there at some point in the past.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:18 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:25 pm
Those night lights on the spires of the Tabernacle........ hmmm. 8-) ........it might not be too difficult to put multi-colored gels over those lights and turn the lighted spires into rainbow colors. It would make Temple Square look so festive for conference.!.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Remember when some WWI bi-planes were able to shoot down King Kong from the Empire State Building? Well, the Church will have some bi-planes standing by and some trusty Elder Missionary Companions to fly them. As Elder Ballard said, "The Church knows how to get things done."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qkahQVFzMI
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 am

The major news stories: Meanwhile, the official BYU Twitter account summoned its inner lawyer by stating:
BYU did not authorize the lighting of the Y tonight.
They can't help themselves with the devotion to the word "authorize" in this message since it is the basis of virtually everything that BYU does.

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:08 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Actually, they did have a right, as spelled out in the land agreement with the federal forest service. The Feds gave the land to BYU with the stipulation that it must be open to the public like it was before it was BYU property. So, the kids had every right to be there, and there is no law about shining a light on a hunk of concrete.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:16 am
My understanding is a bunch of people went up there with flashlights and some type of color plastic over their flashlights and made the rainbow colors. Good for them.
According to BYUPD using flashlights does not constitute breaking the law....however, BYUPD had prior notice and set up game trail cameras to capture images of all the people...they will now be reported to the honor code office and expelled from BYU for supporting the Gay cause. :)
I'd be curious if BYU can punish anyone directly for this. Everyone has a right to walk to the Y. Shining a flashlight is not a crime. I wouldn't be surprised if the administration follows these kids around trying to catch them in some punishable act, though.