"Well, I pulled it off the church website"

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

"Well, I pulled it off the church website"

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:14 pm

My DW gave a lesson for primary yesterday and ran it past me before presenting. Since this year is D&C, she included a brief review of the restoration they've learned about so far. Since she is teaching kids, it was mostly pictures. I mostly kept my mouth shut, but she included an image to cover the translation of the Book of Mormon which showed Joseph on one side of a sheet studying the gold plates with not hats or rocks or spectacles to be seen. So I brought up that the church now accepts that he used a rock in a hat, and that the image is not accurate. She was a bit peeved that I would say anything, but her response was golden, "Well, I pulled it off the church website." I'm sure her frustration won't get past me to the church, but it is telling that she found the picture that told a fake story on the churches website.

I did a little searching and it looks like she just found the picture she wanted on the website. The church included a different picture with more ambiguity in the packet for this lesson. See both pictures below.

Image DW used:

Image included in the lesson's materials:
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Re: "Well, I pulled it off the church website"

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:31 pm

I think I can see the hat in the second picture.

If I close my left eye and squint cross eyed.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:01 pm

The Church will never let go of the gold plate image, but at least it is not pushing the Urim and Thummin usage.

Not forced to wear Urim and Thummin for the pictures.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:44 pm

The second illustration is attempting to portray Joseph and Oliver as these well dressed upper middle class guys with loads of integrity.

I doubt their true clothing looked anything near this classy. :roll:
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:28 pm

Even the second one is super dishonest, which is why the church's moves to stop using the images of him looking at the plates is just a deflection.

It's funny because my wife teaches sunday school and she's aware of the problems even if she doesn't want to look into them, so I have to wonder what going through these lessons does to her knowing that it's just not historically accurate.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 pm

I would like to know how the "leadership" apply their Plausible Deniability™ to this one:

"It was the artist's fault. We have no control whatsoever what we publish on the cover of LDS-Inc.'s flagship monthly magazine."

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:34 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:14 pm
She was a bit peeved that I would say anything, but her response was golden, "Well, I pulled it off the church website."
Be warned that this excuse will not save you if you quote from the Gospel Topic Essays or use phrases like "several months before her 15th birthday".

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 pm
I would like to know how the "leadership" apply their Plausible Deniability™ to this one:
The date on that ensign is Feb 2001. That’s clearly BEFORE the rock and the hat was rolled out in the gospel topic essays.

Isn’t continuous revelation marvelous?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am

This is from the January 2021 Liahona:

Yes, they are still absolutely lying to members and only showing the "new" (and still misleading) artwork only when absolutely forced to.
Last edited by jfro18 on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:45 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:57 am
wtfluff wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:49 pm
The date on that ensign is Feb 2001. That’s clearly BEFORE the rock and the hat was rolled out in the gospel topic essays.

Isn’t continuous revelation marvelous?
Sorry Red, the powers of your apologist hat seem to be waning. :D :lol: :P :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:10 pm

I’m pretty sure in the second picture that is Fanny Alger in the background. When Oliver steps outside for a smoke break, she is going to meet Joseph out back in the barn...
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:20 am
This is from the January 2021 Liahona:

Yes, they are still absolutely lying to members and only showing the "new" (and still misleading) artwork only when absolutely forced to.
This could be due to an apostate in the editorial department who wishes members to discover this multi-century lie and leave the Church.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am

You can find this a few clicks down in the church website's Church History Topics section:

But you kinda have to know what you're looking for. Looking at this picture you can almost hear the debate in the conference room that led them to begrudgingly including some of the elements of the true history without actually showing what was really happening. How much do we HAVE to show to stop people from accurately calling us liars? What I don't see here is, the main ingredient: the rock.

What you will NOT ever find, apparently, is an honest picture of Joseph's face making contact with a hat, as described by the witnesses, Or any hint of a rock and hat in a publication (e.g. the Liahona) that is sent out for the general consumption of the membership of the church. This is excellent CYA tactics. They can claim to be open and honest by keeping Exhibit B (a photo of the defendant beating his wife) in the back of the closet under box of old Popular Mechanics issues, while only presenting Exhibit A (a picture of the defendant hugging his wife) to the jury. It's the ol' "it's your own fault for not knowing about it" trick.

They say they are being as honest as they know how to be. Apparently they just don't know how to be all that honest. I kind of feel some minor sympathy pains for them, stuck there between a seer stone and a hard place as they are. The truth is not always useful, you know.

My wife said our Gospel Doctrine teacher last week made a huge point of telling the class not to believe the ridiculous rumors about a rock and a hat - it's all anti-Mormon lies! And they should take his word as authoritative - he's a direct descendant of Hyrum Smith, for cryin' out loud. The thing is, this guy is very smart and knowledgeable. He has the unofficial title of Ward Scriptorian and is one of those local gurus who people go to for answers. I know he has read Rough Stone Rolling. He told me how much he hated it when he came across me reading it in the foyer one day. I don't get it. Or maybe he just started RSR and tossed it out the window when it diverged from his version of history (somewhere around page 1).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:33 am

That picture gives the impression that Joseph is simply trying to keep the rabbit from prematurely popping out of the hat.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:00 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:33 am
That picture gives the impression that Joseph is simply trying to keep the rabbit from prematurely popping out of the hat.
No, that's what the modern church is trying to do.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."