FAIRMormon changes their name

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

FAIRMormon changes their name

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm

In an earthshaking turn of events. FAIR changes their name - to FAIR.
"Finally, we are proud to announce our new name! (Drum roll please!) Our NEW name moving forward will be FAIR. Yes, that sounds a lot like our old name, which was FAIR, but this new name is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! The old name was an acronym for the Foundation for Apologetic Information and Research. The new FAIR name stands for, "Faithful Answers, Informed Response." The term "apologetics" does not appear in our new name FAIR. (Whew!) We want to provide faithful answers to people, and be able to give an informed response. The URL we will be using for our Website will be www.fairlatterdaysaints.org."
I would have suggested something more appropriate to some of their latest efforts, like maybe Kwaku's Kuestion Kwushers.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: FAIRMormon changes their name

Post by 2bizE » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:57 pm

FAIR= FAirly Inaccurate Resources.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:28 pm

So... These "Faithful" folks spent more than two years giving Satan™ Major Victories before they could figure out how to fall in
line with CEO Re-Brand?

Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:16 pm

The humorous item is that the previous name was FAIR. They added the name FAIRMormon when they thought it would bring more donations. Further light and knowledge entering the world via President Nelson, and it was revealed that Mormon was a devil word. Given the nature of their latest Kwaku video productions, the name FAIRMisinformation seems more appropriate.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:10 am

Faithful Answers tells me all I need to know.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:42 am

FAIR taking a page out of the Joseph Smith book:

'Polygamy is awful, but plural marriage is awesome!'

FAIR today: 'Apologetics is awful, but faithful answers is amazing!'

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 am

One can give "faithful" answers for anything whether it's good or bad.

It is quite another thing to give fully "HONEST" answers.

I'll take honest over faithful any day of the week. This also tells me that Fair and the church didn't really think this through. As I recall in the old discussions I had when I first entered the mission field, the church made a point of telling the investigator that faith in something that wasn't true was either misplaced or not true faith at all. It didn't matter how strongly you believed in it if it wasn't true, it did you no good. I guess LDS leadership and apologists have short memories.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:55 pm

Proud to announce the new name? I thought the new name was supposed to be kept secret. Sorry, temple joke. That was the first thing I thought of.

græy

Post by græy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:07 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:53 am
One can give "faithful" answers for anything whether it's good or bad.

It is quite another thing to give fully "HONEST" answers.

I'll take honest over faithful any day of the week. This also tells me that Fair and the church didn't really think this through. As I recall in the old discussions I had when I first entered the mission field, the church made a point of telling the investigator that faith in something that wasn't true was either misplaced or not true faith at all. It didn't matter how strongly you believed in it if it wasn't true, it did you no good. I guess LDS leadership and apologists have short memories.
Very much this. I just want HONESTY. GBH once said "...I believe it to be the very essence of the gospel." And yet, honesty is totally lacking from any real discussion of church history. How can the church be what it claims when it does so much to obfuscate and distort in the name of "faithful" discussion?
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:44 am

The Faithful Origins and Ontology League is unaffected by Nelson's recent condemnation of the name M**mon, and so will retain its name.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:25 am

They also removed the Kwaku TITS videos too... which is odd because I remember them saying how great they were for youth outreach.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am

jfro18 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:25 am
They also removed the Kwaku TITS videos too... which is odd because I remember them saying how great they were for youth outreach.
That’s hilarious. Like really funny.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:40 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:54 pm

I would have suggested something more appropriate to some of their latest efforts, like maybe Kwaku's Kuestion Kwushers.
:lol: :lol:
*raises arm to the square*

I support and sustain this name change.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Stig

Post by Stig » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:44 am

jfro18 wrote:
Yep, according to the Trib article (https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/03 ... dopts-new/), this is a kinder and gentler FAIR:
When the new FAIR provides “faithful answers” and an “informed response,” Gordon adds, it wants to do so in a Christlike manner.

That means “avoiding personal attacks or derogatory language” against critics, he says. “This does not mean we won’t point out faulty reasoning and misleading claims, or boldly defend our doctrine. ... We are not stepping away from fact-checking, or defending the church. Indeed, we embrace it fully. We just want to do it in the way that we believe the Savior would approve.”

FAIR drew some flak recently for enlisting a handful of Brigham Young University actors and writers to produce satirical videos that targeted the writings of a particular church detractor. Some saw the snarky, mocking tone as out of place; others viewed the videos as a novel, humorous way to reach younger Latter-day Saints.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 am

jfro18 wrote:
It's a testament to the innocence and single-minded devotion to the LDS version of modesty that their name managed to get pushed so heavily while not comprehending this level of Freudian irony. I found at least one place where they responded with some indignation to critics noticing the acronym. But it's FAIR that is trying to operate an apologetics channel with a "Daily Show" and "Colbert Report" format and attitude.

In my apostate opinion, they should have assiduously ignore the criticism and let the scandal be an avenue to reach the youth. Now their content is back to the boring, soft focus, hymnal music format that Boyd Packer would approve. The religious excitement of first century Christianity and 19th century Mormonism came from edgy ideas that upset the establishment. FAIR has now abandoned that strategy to the exclusive use of miscreants like us.

Imagine if someone were to take the CES Letter and turn it into a series of snappy, upbeat, and funny videos. Satirical memes already drive the ex-believer community. The LDS church is doing almost nothing to make themselves stand out and attract people.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:06 am
Imagine if someone were to take the CES Letter and turn it into a series of snappy, upbeat, and funny videos. Satirical memes already drive the ex-believer community. The LDS church is doing almost nothing to make themselves stand out and attract people.
I really wish Brother Jake was still doing the videos, because that style on TikTok would be absolutely brutal for the apologetic claims and videos that are released by FAIR and the likes.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:14 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:43 am
jfro18 wrote:
That’s hilarious. Like really funny.
I’m already missing TITS.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:08 am
I really wish Brother Jake was still doing the videos, because that style on TikTok would be absolutely brutal for the apologetic claims and videos that are released by FAIR and the likes.
Totally off track, but did you see that Jake was on the latest Infants on Thrones episode? Nice to hear him.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:56 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:35 pm
Totally off track, but did you see that Jake was on the latest Infants on Thrones episode? Nice to hear him.
I had no idea - I am going to download this for work on Friday. I really miss him on the IoT podcasts - his work was great and for some reason I resonated with his reactions to the essays and whatnot.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:05 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Especially that snuff film where FAIR had John Dehlin and Jerremy Runnels brutally murdered for the glory of the Church. Some would call that obscene, but FAIR was banking on it being click-bait for the young Saints. Glad The Brethren disagreed and requested that FAIR cease this aberrant behavior and give Kwaku productions the boot.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha