Makings of a good Preacher?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Makings of a good Preacher?

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:46 pm

Just thinking of 38-year-old Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz and that seventeen-year-old girl. What if he married the girl? What if the girl was 14? What if he married her? What if he married the 17 and 14-year-old? What if he married two 14-year-olds, two 17-year-olds, and a bunch of married women? Should this affect his committees in Congress if he was commanded by an angel with a drawn sword? Should Matt become a preacher?

BTW, let's keep politics out of this and let it be about appropriate dating and marriage.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Re: Makings of a good Preacher?

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:22 am

Mormon Apologist: what does age really matter in the grand, eternal concept of time. In the eternities, it won’t matter. Sure, the girl was several months shy of her 18th birthday, but age is just a social construct.
~2bizE

græy

Re: Makings of a good Preacher?

Post by græy » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:13 pm

moksha wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:46 pm
Just thinking of 38-year-old Florida Congressman Matt Gaetz and that seventeen-year-old girl. What if he married the girl? What if the girl was 14? What if he married her? What if he married the 17 and 14-year-old? What if he married two 14-year-olds, two 17-year-olds, and a bunch of married women? Should this affect his committees in Congress if he was commanded by an angel with a drawn sword? Should Matt become a preacher?

BTW, let's keep politics out of this and let it be about appropriate dating and marriage.
TBM: It wouldn't really matter if he married them because he wasn't called of God to do that. Joseph Smith, on the other hand, was totally a prophet and obviously he was telling the truth when he said God forced him to do the same thing. He didn't want to do it, but God required it of him. I mean, that is what he said and he can't lie because he is absolutely a prophet. I know he was a prophet because I feel good when I think about how that confirms my world view and all that I was taught as a child. But anyone besides JS who does the exact same thing should be locked up.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack