Why go to a "Membership Council?"

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Re: Why go to a "Membership Council?"

Post by deacon blues » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 pm

Yup. Selfishness and hypocrisy
Palerider wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:53 pm
Not Buying It wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:52 am
No one should ever walk into a Court of Love without intending to tape it secretly. Both because the Church fears it, and because once they get you behind closed doors without a record of what happens the gloves come off, and you have no evidence of anything they said or did. For Pete's sake, if you are ever in one, record it for your own protection.
And what this points out is that the church has in reality less interest in truth, honesty, integrity and accountability than the government, whom they often look down upon.

Civil/Criminal trials are recorded word for word so that (even in Biblical terms) every word can be established. No room for backpedaling witnesses or officials on what someone might have said years later.

I love how the church looks out for it's own interests before anyone else's. Having your cake and eating it too, I think it's called.
Yup. Selfishness and hypocrisy are two other things we could call it. :roll:
Or, just call it unchristian.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 am
I could be wrong about this, but I thought at some point in the past the Church had formulated guidelines to protect the rights of those undergoing the destructive procedure of excommunication.
It turns out that this was not a hallucination, there actually was a formal procedure to protect the accused. It was enacted at a time when fairness was still valued.

Anyway, you can read about how it all changed here:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/04 ... atter-day/
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:35 am
moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:17 am
I could be wrong about this, but I thought at some point in the past the Church had formulated guidelines to protect the rights of those undergoing the destructive procedure of excommunication.
It turns out that this was not a hallucination, there actually was a formal procedure to protect the accused. It was enacted at a time when fairness was still valued.

Anyway, you can read about how it all changed here:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2021/04 ... atter-day/
"allowing the accused to have access to minutes or a transcript of the trial was forbidden. Eventually, he was barred from using the recorder, after which he refused to actively participate in the trial."

Secret combinations, secret works of darkness ... it was prophecied these meetings would not be recorded 😆
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson