Who’s next on the excommunication list?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: Who’s next on the excommunication list?

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:41 am

Angel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:54 pm
I struggle with understanding why people do not just remove their name.
For most people, I think you're right. Very few of us will ever gain enough visibility to be called into the Inquisition of Love. For those who do attain that status I think there is something valuable in forcing the church to take a stand and say "we're so afraid of what you're saying that we need to make an example of you."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:40 pm

I have considered that a court or council or whatever they want to call it is a chance to talk about the substantial reasons why I no longer believe in the Church. I do feel a little miffed that none of my Church friends have asked me about those reasons. If I went through a court now almost everybody I would be talking to would be 10-20 years younger than me. I don't think they could understand how different the Church is now from the one I was taught existed in the 1960's-70's when I was growing up. My closest friends are former Church leaders who are out to pasture now, so they wouldn't even be in the room. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:17 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:41 am
Angel wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:54 pm
I struggle with understanding why people do not just remove their name.
For most people, I think you're right. Very few of us will ever gain enough visibility to be called into the Inquisition of Love. For those who do attain that status I think there is something valuable in forcing the church to take a stand and say "we're so afraid of what you're saying that we need to make an example of you."
When I submitted my resignation letter I was invited to a council, and I turned them down cold and reiterated my request to remove membership. The only reason they wanted to talk was to try and get dirt on me - insinuate I was not strong enough or not obedient enough, if I just read my scriptures more and went to the temple once a week instead of just once a month etc. etc. insinuate that what happened was exaggerated (not exaggerated, he is in jail for the rest of his life by a competent jury). I left for the safety of my children, I left because I want my daughters to know they have authority over themselves - no one else has authority over them. At the end I no longer called anyone by their titles, I used their first name because they have no authority. Not my bishop, not my president, they are all just people, nothing more. No more games.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 am

Who's next? Who knows. It is an entirely capricious process. Whoever happens to be getting under leaderships skin on a day they feel grouchy. They seem to like to smack down women pretty quick, they don't want anybody riling the sisters with uppity ideas. But they are anything but consistent on who they come down on.

More than anything, it is a window into who they feel most threatened by. Clearly Sam Young was a threat. Not Buying It is not.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:18 pm

I listened to this Mormon Stories podcast about this couple. They ended up resigning,but toward the end stated it would have been fun to show up to the membership council in a limousine drinking champagne and roll out a red carpet to enter the church....sounds like a fun way to exit.

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/t ... yle-brost/
~2bizE

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:18 pm

If I ever got ex'ed I always wonder if DW would show up with me or not- I tend to think she would not since she would ultimately believe I deserve it and I'm certain would side with the church on it.

But I'd totally go and enjoy it, because once you realize those people have no power over you, the fear is gone and you can just lay it out and watch how uncomfortable it makes whoever they send to the court of love.