Extended Family Baptism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Extended Family Baptism

Post by Linked » Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm

My sister's kid got baptized recently and I went to be part of the family. My BIL was kind enough to invite me up to be part of the confirmation circle which I accepted; he knows where I stand and I treat those as family events and appreciate being included.

My sister gave the talk on baptism and was discussing being good or bad and mentioned the people of Noah and the city of Enoch. Then she said, "the people in the city of Enoch were good and got translated and the people in Noah's time were bad and were all killed." What a terrible message! Not only is it terrifying and says that God is a homicidal, narcissistic a$$hole, but it doesn't teach anything that is really needed in life. Stressing that being "good" is so important your life depends on it pushes such a focus on finding and following good (as defined by the church) that there is no room to learn the nuance of life.

And when was the last time God killed people for being bad? It's not even applicable! Come on sister, you are better than this!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

deacon blues

Re: Extended Family Baptism

Post by deacon blues » Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm
And when was the last time God killed people for being bad? It's not even applicable! Come on sister, you are better than this!
Hmmm.... Joseph Dodged a bullet (actually a flaming sword) when he agreed to polygamy. Emma had to accept polygamy, if only for a little while, so she got to live another 30 years.

Yeah, it sounds like your sister's talk was terrible. :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Linked

Re: Extended Family Baptism

Post by Linked » Mon May 10, 2021 4:11 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:41 pm
Hmmm.... Joseph Dodged a bullet (actually a flaming sword) when he agreed to polygamy. Emma had to accept polygamy, if only for a little while, so she got to live another 30 years.

Yeah, it sounds like your sister's talk was terrible. :(
Hahaha, phew! I'm glad we didn't have to find out what God would have done to him if he failed to coerce women and girls into "marrying" him. /s

It was so bad. And this is on the heels of another talk of hers where she encouraged people to get their kids to convince other kids to come to church activities because they are "more prepared" for it than adults. It's frustrating, because she is a pretty thoughtful woman and seems to be reasonable, but these talks are so blatantly manipulative that it seems she is lost to reason.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut