Mormons are Nice

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

Mormons are Nice

Post by Linked » Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm

In "Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life" James Hollis says the following when discussing reflexive kindness:
Indeed the stakes are even higher, for studies of totalitarian systems, or any society with strong collective pressures, show that through intimidation most, if not all, citizens become "nice". Which is to say docile, compliant. And ultimately complicit in evil.
Mormonism has strong collective pressures. And many mormons are "nice". This quote hit home.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Palerider

Re: Mormons are Nice

Post by Palerider » Wed May 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:25 pm
In "Finding Meaning in the Second Half of Life" James Hollis says the following when discussing reflexive kindness:
Indeed the stakes are even higher, for studies of totalitarian systems, or any society with strong collective pressures, show that through intimidation most, if not all, citizens become "nice". Which is to say docile, compliant. And ultimately complicit in evil.
Mormonism has strong collective pressures. And many mormons are "nice". This quote hit home.
They do some good no doubt. Many have their hearts in the right place.
The evil is currently low grade. And I do notice some cowardice from time to time.

Although cowardice exists in all people there is supposedly less of it in Mormons who are trained to stand up for the right and let the consequences follow.

Not sure that's true.

The real test will come when things get a little "hot" in society. When things get rough....as they probably will.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm

Learning that nice and kind are not actually the same thing was a pivotal change in my personal development and understanding of my fellow humans.

Passive agressiveness. Mormons have it down.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 13, 2021 11:30 am

glass shelf wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm
Don’t forget extremely judgmental too!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm

A good example of this is how the church failed to quickly recognize the evil in the Nazi party in Germany...Helmuth Hubner.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_Hübener
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 13, 2021 11:51 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 8:34 pm
A good example of this is how the church failed to quickly recognize the evil in the Nazi party in Germany...Helmuth Hubner.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmuth_Hübener
There was a successful play about Helmuth Hübener at BYU a number of years ago. It angered Elder Thomas Monson and was ordered to be shut down and not put on again by Elder Dallin Oaks, since it painted the Third Reich in a bad light. Perhaps with their revelatory abilities they did not want to muddy the waters for the Empire of Trump.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Sun May 16, 2021 4:06 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:53 pm
Learning that nice and kind are not actually the same thing was a pivotal change in my personal development and understanding of my fellow humans.

I also went through this realization. Kind can be much more difficult as well.