What are the problems with the word Mormon

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

What are the problems with the word Mormon

Post by 2bizE » Tue May 18, 2021 11:37 am

I’m sure we have hashed this before, but how does the world view Mormonism?
I’m sure this is part of the decision to stop calling each other Mormons.
However, is the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gathering a stigma as well?
~2bizE

Angel

Re: What are the problems with the word Mormon

Post by Angel » Tue May 18, 2021 7:36 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:37 am
I’m sure we have hashed this before, but how does the world view Mormonism?
I’m sure this is part of the decision to stop calling each other Mormons.
However, is the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints gathering a stigma as well?
Whatever it is that set it all off... I'm just glad everyone is now an ex-mormon so we can all drop the stigma around that.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm

Once President Nelson more closely translated the word Mormon, he realized the previous translation from Adamic was not quite right. Mor did indeed represent more as Joseph Smith had alledged, but mon translated to devil. As to why the book was titled Book of More Devil is anyone's guess.

Hope that helps.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am

What's wrong with the word Mormon? Simple. If you google it you find MormonThink, Mormon Stories, Radio Free Mormon, Mormon Discussions, etc. etc. etc. if you google Church of Jesus Christ of Yadda Yadda you just get boring correlated propaganda.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

græy

Post by græy » Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 am

moksha wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm
Once President Nelson more closely translated the word Mormon, he realized the previous translation from Adamic was not quite right. Mor did indeed represent more as Joseph Smith had alledged, but mon translated to devil. As to why the book was titled Book of More Devil is anyone's guess.

Hope that helps.
Simultaneously building Nelson up as a translator and pulling down the foundations of Mormonism! Nicely done, Moksha! :lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

alas

Post by alas » Wed May 19, 2021 4:27 pm

Mormons do not have a good reputation. I have had some interesting experiences of people being honest with me about Mormons because they assumed I was not Mormon. One was when I did my internship in social work at Catholic Family Services. My coworkers were a priest and two nuns as well as the Hispanic secretary. So, my clients just assumed I was Catholic. I never disillusioned them and I grew up with a really close friend who was Catholic, so I know how to speak Catholic. But with my military husband getting orders, I told some of them that I would be moving as soon as I finished my internship. “Oh, where are you going?” “My husband got orders for Hill AFB in Utah.” “Oh, do you know what it is like living around all those Mormons?” And then of course they told me what they really think of Mormons, and it wasn’t pretty. We are snobs who won’t be friends with nonMormons and we are pushy and rude about trying to convert nonmembers. We look down on people who drink coffee. Many are still polygamists.

Yeah, I can see why Rusty might want to drop “Mormon”. But a rude snob by any other name is just as rude.

Nonmembers outside of Utah also know that fraud is high in Utah, and they think the Mormons are at fault and rather than ripping off other Mormons, they think the fraud is ripping off nonmembers. Oh, and those “family values” that Mormons WANT to be famous for, yes, Mormons have big families and then neglect and abuse their kids. (That opinion was when I was on a “child abuse prevention committee, at Laundstule Hospital in Germany and was the only civilian among 20 active duty military (army and Air Force) chaplains and mental health techs.)

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 pm

græy wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:07 am
moksha wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 10:55 pm

Hope that helps.
Simultaneously building Nelson up as a translator and pulling down the foundations of Mormonism! Nicely done, Moksha! :lol:
Trying to understand how Mormon could mean More Good according to Joseph Smith, to being an adjunct of the devil according to President Nelson. Sometimes apologetics is a messy business.

How is the bishop business going?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri May 21, 2021 6:20 am

moksha wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:40 pm
Trying to understand how Mormon could mean More Good according to Joseph Smith...
And he could translate Nephite/Mayan and Adamic language with equal accuracy. Nephite "Mor" means "More," Adamic "Angls Men" means "Angels." I stand all amazed. Who would have imagined that both languages would have so much overlap with a Germanic/Latin hodgepodge language like English? Certainly not an ignorant plow boy, amiright?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."