Elder Oaks as the next Prophet?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Corsair

Re: Elder Oaks as the next Prophet?

Post by Corsair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:15 pm

2bizE wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:08 pm
This could be interesting if Oaks is non functional when Nelson dies. Would the Q14 choose to bypass Oaks as president?
We had 5 years of Ezra Taft Benson in a largely non-functional state for 5 years starting in late 1989. All it took was one capable counselor named Gordon Hinckley to reassure us that Benson "sends his love and is watching the conference proceedings from home." Henry Eyring would be the de facto president as the operational counselor while another counselor would be added. I suspect that Holland would be choice added to the First Presidency with the power of Oaks' auto pen signature.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 am

Corsair wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:15 pm
I suspect that Holland would be choice added to the First Presidency with the power of Oaks' auto pen signature.
Perhaps Elder Gong, given that they could use somebody with the effectiveness of President Hinckley.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:46 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:32 am
Corsair wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:15 pm
I suspect that Holland would be choice added to the First Presidency with the power of Oaks' auto pen signature.
Perhaps Elder Gong, given that they could use somebody with the effectiveness of President Hinckley.
I'm probably too cynical, but I would expect them to choose Bednar to get him ready to be president given his likely ascension to the top spot.
https://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2021/0 ... president/

I guess there's a likely Holland presidency as well, though.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:09 pm

I think the next apostle in line could be a total vegetable and the would still prop him up as the prophet, and ordain him as such. Tell us how well he is doing at conference and he loves us all. Sure someone else could run the church but they would maintain their all important status quo they deem so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:19 pm

It's always a possibility when the mantle of president of the church is typically inherited when someone is in their late 80s or 90s.

Risk of dementia aside, the age factor feels like a huge issue. I'm several decades shy of my 96th birthday and I can already tell that I'm slowing down, that my best days are behind me.

Was there someone in particular that's slated to become president of the church in the next decade or so that you feel is already showing signs of dementia or was it more of a general concern?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:13 pm

Here is a probability graph from a few years ago.
https://zelophehadsdaughters.com/2018/0 ... 5-members/
~2bizE

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:44 am

Does anyone else feel like that position of prophet is probably losing power over time to the lawyers accountants? Sure they let them play around with things like the name or letting missionaries call home or wear pants, but really, all the big decisions...probably not made at the top with codgers, other than sign here and we think we should do this based on the data in this power point, with nods from the tired old men.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE