Elder Oaks as the next Prophet?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Elder Oaks as the next Prophet?

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 am

Using nice easy numbers, let’s assume President Nelson lives another 2 years then passes away and Elder Oaks becomes the next Prophet at age 90.

What’s his agenda? What’s his theme? What’s his legacy as the Prophet?

He’s already lost the war against homosexuality.
The decline in church membership growth.
The youth are leaving the church.
Mass building of temples started with Hinkley.

What legacy will be his? Obedience?

Who will be his FP counselors?

Bednar and Erying? (assuming he’s not dead)
Bednar and Holland?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Stig

Re: Elder Oaks as the next Prophet?

Post by Stig » Thu May 20, 2021 9:21 am

Oaks has always been Elder Law-and-Order. I expect a doubling down of orthodoxy under his regime...errr....reign...errr...leadership.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu May 20, 2021 11:10 am

I hope he goes deep field crackpot. The deeper the better for me.

Trouble for active members maybe.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm

Remember how Ezra Taft Benson was basically bat-sh*t crazy before he got the big, red CEO chair?

Remember how he toned his rhetoric down A LOT as CEO?

I hope to Zeus that the same thing happens with Oaks.

I really don't want to see the damage Oaks could cause to LGBTQ folks during his reign (of terror?) Whether that war is lost "outside" MORmONism or not, he could cause immense damage inside.

Rusty is annoying, but banning the word MORmON, announcing a useless "proclamation," creating Bathtub Jesus Logo, and announcing tons of future (empty) MORmON Movie Houses doesn't really hurt people. Hopefully Oaks will focus on stupid stuff like that.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 20, 2021 6:01 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 1:25 pm
Hopefully Oaks will focus on stupid stuff like that.
So you think President Oaks will perform like a three-dollar bill printed by Kirkland Safety Society Anti-Bank?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 20, 2021 7:43 pm

It'll be a sh!tshow for sure!

I think he'll pick either Cook or Anderson for his FP. They are the slimiest.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 20, 2021 7:47 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Remember how Ezra Taft Benson was basically bat-sh*t crazy before he got the big, red CEO chair?

Remember how he toned his rhetoric down A LOT as CEO?

I hope to Zeus that the same thing happens with Oaks.
That's good to know. Let's hope the same thing will happen to Oaks.
wtfluff wrote:
I really don't want to see the damage Oaks could cause to LGBTQ folks during his reign (of terror?) Whether that war is lost "outside" MORmONism or not, he could cause immense damage inside.

Rusty is annoying, but banning the word MORmON, announcing a useless "proclamation," creating Bathtub Jesus Logo, and announcing tons of future (empty) MORmON Movie Houses doesn't really hurt people. Hopefully Oaks will focus on stupid stuff like that.
I really don't want Oaks to make me miss Rusty.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 am

We'll move from

"How wonderful it is to have a doctor as a prophet during a pandemic." ...where over half of active membership is dead set against his medical advice as they engage in behaviors that help spread the pandemic.

to

"How wonderful it is to have someone that served on the Utah Supreme Court as prophet when our constitution is under attack." ...where over half of active membership will be dead set against his advice to be loyal to the constitution and not one person as they go about encouraging those that attack the constitution.

I hope for a Ballard presidency.

"How wonderful it is to have someone that was a used car salesman as a prophet..."
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:11 am
Using nice easy numbers, let’s assume President Nelson lives another 2 years then passes away and Elder Oaks becomes the next Prophet at age 90.

What’s his agenda? What’s his theme? What’s his legacy as the Prophet?

He’s already lost the war against homosexuality.
While the issue may be over for the rest of the world, don't expect him to admit it. He may be forced to tone down his homophobia, but it will not go away.

I expect his legacy to be beating a dead horse.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Sun May 23, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri May 21, 2021 10:28 am

nibbler wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 am
We'll move from

"How wonderful it is to have a doctor as a prophet during a pandemic." ...where over half of active membership is dead set against his medical advice as they engage in behaviors that help spread the pandemic.

to

"How wonderful it is to have someone that served on the Utah Supreme Court as prophet when our constitution is under attack." ...where over half of active membership will be dead set against his advice to be loyal to the constitution and not one person as they go about encouraging those that attack the constitution.

"How wonderful it is to have someone that was a used car salesman as a prophet..."
That’s hilarious!

Perhaps Ballard will be the next prophet instead of Oaks! To lead the world through a shortage of computer chips causing new car manufacturing delays. Then lead the world as prophet seer and revelator through the shift to electric vehicles!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri May 21, 2021 10:42 am

nibbler wrote:

Dang, how did I miss this?

I agree with the Red Cowboy: HILLARIOUS!

I can hear the believers now: "Bring Back Edsel!!!"

Maybe the "new" Edsel can create an electric car to compete with Tesla? Oh, wait. MORmONs don't care about the environment. Corporate Mormon Jesus™ is gonna be back the day-after-tomorrow, so the environment "don't matter."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri May 21, 2021 4:27 pm

nibbler wrote:

He did have the inspiration to be the first Ford Edsel dealer in Salt Lake.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun May 23, 2021 12:30 pm

First, what is Nelson’s legacy/goal:? To outdo Hinckley. Hinkley embarrassed Nelson in the 90s when he tried to start a get rid of the word Mormon campaign. Hinckley also was president when the Proclamation on the family came out. Hinckley also started the big move to build lots of temples. He dedicated nearly every temple in the 1980s and 90s.
Nelson has overturned Hinckley’s desire of the word Mormon, created his own proclamation (as dumb as it is), and is now announcing more temples than Hinckley.
What does this have to do with Oaks? I see Oaks as a not very creative follower. I think he is going to follow Nelson and complete some of the things Nelson wants to complete. I think Oaks will double down on intellectuals and gays.
I think Oaks will keep Eyring and pull in Holland or Bednar to the FP. Bednar is similar to Oaks in a$$holeness, so he might select Bednar. Or choose another attorney like Christofferson/Cook/Anderson. I think he will shy away from calling new apostles who are not white, English speaking.
Now there has been some discussion on Ballard. I think Nelson, Oaks and others look down on him. They see him as an uneducated, car salesman. He doesn’t have a MD or JD behind his name. He is only an apostle because he is a descendant of Hyrum.
What I hope Oaks does is continue the church into oppression by obedience. Ban the internet for members and every member needs three callings. Maybe start a new youth program where youth can prepare to be lawyers. Youth Attorney Worthiness Negotiators (Yawn). Will double down on garments. Can only remove garments for reproduction sex. Must leave garments on for non procreation sex. This will be his concept for increasing new members as only under educated people from third worlds are joining the church currently.
~2bizE

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun May 23, 2021 2:31 pm

I'm a bit out of the loop. What's Neltson's "proclamation"? Is it something homophobic or transphobic?
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm

LSOF wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:31 pm
I'm a bit out of the loop. What's Neltson's "proclamation"? Is it something homophobic or transphobic?
It is the proclamation on the restoration. Pretty much the first missionary discussion made into a proclamation. Rather boring and uneventful.
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon May 24, 2021 7:17 pm

2bizE wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm
LSOF wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 2:31 pm
It is the proclamation on the restoration. Pretty much the first missionary discussion made into a proclamation. Rather boring and uneventful.
Yeah, it's a whole lotta nothing. It only exists so Nelson could take credit for a proclamation. I wonder if it has occurred to him that if he really wants to make his mark he should "receive a revelation" and add it to the D&C. Everyone would have to buy new scriptures in honor of his prophetness.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue May 25, 2021 11:41 am

I wonder if Oaks would follow Nelson’s step and create his own Proclamation to the World.
A few ideas he might proclaim:
1) Proclamation on the Gays
2) Proclamation on using the right hand to pass and take the sacrament
3) Proclamation on plural wifery
4) Proclamation on the US Constitution.
~2bizE

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 pm

The next prophet being ordained with obvious signs of dementia is a real possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:08 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:14 pm
The next prophet being ordained with obvious signs of dementia is a real possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This could be interesting if Oaks is non functional when Nelson dies. Would the Q14 choose to bypass Oaks as president?
~2bizE

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:56 am

We can only hope so !!