Official church stance ?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

Official church stance ?

Post by Mackman » Sat May 22, 2021 7:26 am

Does anyone know what the official church stance is if one partner (married and also in the temple) leaves the church ? I think I read somewhere the TBM partner is supposed to stay in the marriage if possible ? Need some help please.

jfro18

Re: Official church stance ?

Post by jfro18 » Sat May 22, 2021 12:33 pm

Mackman wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:26 am
Does anyone know what the official church stance is if one partner (married and also in the temple) leaves the church ? I think I read somewhere the TBM partner is supposed to stay in the marriage if possible ? Need some help please.
I don't think there is an "official" stance on that, but the recent issue of the Liahona had some 'digital only' articles that encouraged members who have a spouse that left the church to stick with it, which I believe is as close as they've come to officially stating that they should stay?

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat May 22, 2021 10:48 pm

I think there was some speculation of a codicil in The Unwritten Rules, that allows such women to be sealed as concubines to Celestial Gods so that they too can visit the Celestial Kingdom on separate holidays.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LostGirl

Post by LostGirl » Sun May 23, 2021 5:09 am

I went to a wedding a few years ago where the sealer (and temple president) specifically told the bride that if the groom ever left the church that her covenants would still hold and she would be fine.

It was all kinds of weird but I also thought an interesting assertion.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Tue May 25, 2021 8:19 am

Isn't this related to the justification Joseph gave for sealing himself to women who were already married? This was a way for them to guarantee salvation should their husband falter.

Women just need to be yoked to a righteous priesthood holder. If their holder of choice doesn't earn his celestial mansion, she'll be taken care of by a more righteous man.

A modern day sealer may frame the situation as "you don't need a man to get into the highest glory" but our theology suggests just the opposite, and that if your man doesn't cut it, God will give you to one who does, so don't worry. Everyone knows there are more righteous women than men so that's why we still have to have polygamy in our theology. Joseph had to restore it and practice it just a little while, so we'd get an understanding of how it works and how challenging it can be if you're not perfectly righteous. It doesn't work in mortal life because of birth rates, but we'll have to do it again after we die.

🤪🙄🤣😜

I should add that I believe that's all a crock of alligator dung.