One Month Down. 59 To Go.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Re: One Month Down. 59 To Go.

Post by græy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Only just over one month in and this is has been pretty eye opening. Some times I do questions if I can make it work full term, other days, it isn't so bad.

It has led to a lot of conversations with my wife. It seems like she has started to understand that a lot of people are in mixed faith marriages and just can't talk about it, even within their marriages. She is starting to see that there are real concerns that real people have about the church's truth claims. Based on that, she feels like I can do a lot of good here. From there, she oscillates back and forth as to whether or not me winding up in this position is God's doing. Would He ask me to lead a ward knowing that I will never testify of JS, the priesthood, or BoM?

DW has even referred to herself as "slightly nuanced". I did not press for more clarification as to what she meant by that.
hmb wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:57 am
Do the therapy sessions, paid by the church, have to be LDS therapists? It's better to separate therapy from the church, but I'm surprised if they are willing to pay for non-LDS therapist sessions.
Therapists do not have to be LDS, though the payment system is simpler and it sounds you get more bang for your buck in terms of # of sessions if they are LDS. The value proposition may change depending on therapist roulette at that point though. I basically just give people a list of therapists in the area and tell them to make phone calls and find one that is the right fit for them. Most of the list is non-LDS. My SP has suggested being upfront and paying for only a limited number of sessions to see if it actually helps the members. But even then, we can get around that by providing food through the storehouse, offsetting the member's grocery bill and allowing them to pay for therapy themselves for as long as they need.

In other news, I keep hoping to spend more time here a be a bit more engaged with a lot of the other ongoing threads, but work has picked up as well. Between family/work/church I just haven't had time to check in here very much.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack