Witness film. Got your tickets?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Witness film. Got your tickets?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm

This month's FAIR newlsetter subject is, "The Witness film needs our support."

This thing is opening in 350 theaters. Who's paying for it? I am far from blown away by the trailer.

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: Witness film. Got your tickets?

Post by 2bizE » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:05 pm

What is it about? Is it Oliver witnessing Joseph and Fanny in the barn? If it is the 3/8 witnesses, I hope it shows them using their spiritual eyes. I have no desire to see this in theaters....
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:58 pm
Got your tickets?
Nope. Not a chance.

Well... I guess I could be persuaded to view said propaganda if I were PAID to go see it.

Mind-altering substances would help too.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:36 pm

It will be just like God's Not Dead, except with a much smaller and more niche audience.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:45 pm

This feels like one of those releases that will be seen by the diehards but talked about by everyone for a short period before it's forgotten.

The trailer makes it look like it will address some of the problems with the stories (it looks like they have clips of historians/apologists talking), but I have a feeling they'll do it in a way that doesn't expose anyone to the real problems.

I'm sure they'll cover the First Vision, but which one? Same with the priesthood restoration... and on and on and on.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 pm

I really want to see this, but I will need to wait until it is on KBYU or YouTube.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:17 pm

LSOF wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:36 pm
It will be just like God's Not Dead, except with a much smaller and more niche audience.
It will mostly be seen by people who are told, like the people who read the FAIR newsletter, "you need to support this." I predict a massive flop. It won't be like Meet the People Formerly Known as Mormons, where church leaders were pretty much ordering people to go, and stakes were buying out entire theaters.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:26 pm

And not to be a jerk, but getting the movie in 350 theaters is extremely cheap and easy right now given that there are only a few new movies currently in theaters and they'd be happy to take anything that could bring in some foot traffic.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:09 pm

350 theaters?

One 7:00 PM Monday night showing...

Should be a sale out in every stake in the US.

Geez, we are cynical aren’t we?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:11 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:44 pm
Mind-altering substances would help too.
Isn't that the goal of the film? :twisted:
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:20 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 pm
I really want to see this, but I will need to wait until it is on KBYU or YouTube.
I'm going to hold out for the VHS release. :lol:

nibbler wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:11 am
Isn't that the goal of the film? :twisted:
I don't think reinforcing believers' confirmation bias does much mind altering TBH. :|
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Stig

Post by Stig » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:34 am

Battlefield Earth, Part 2.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:27 am

I knew that the printer's manuscript showed all of the witnesses' signatures in Oliver Cowdery's handwriting, and some have seen this as evidence that the witnesses never actually signed anything themselves. But I guess the apologetic claim is that they all signed the original manuscript, which was in the cornerstone of the Nauvoo House until water damage destroyed the part that would have included the signatures.

There's a note on the Joseph Smith Papers site that I'm not sure what to make of in light of the above:

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... y-1830/468
Joseph F. Smith and Orson Pratt pointed out to Whitmer in 1878 that the signatures on the witness pages were copied and not original signatures, whereupon Smith suggested “that perhaps there were two copies of the manuscript, But Mr. Whitmer replied that according to the best of his Knowledge there never was but the one copy.” Following an inspection of the manuscript in 1884, James H. Hart reported a conversation with Whitmer, wherein Hart stated “that it looked very much as though it was the original copy,” going on to explain that “it would in fact take considerable more evidence than I had seen to convince me that it was not the original and only written copy.” Whitmer responded in the affirmative, “I know, positively, that it is so.” (J. F. Smith to J. Taylor et al., 17 Sept. 1878; James H. Hart, “About the Book of Mormon,” Deseret Evening News [Salt Lake City], 25 Mar. 1884, [2].)

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:40 am

With a name like that I would have thought it might be about the Jehovah's Witnesses. I mean really, who thought of this as the name!?!

-lost

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks for the warning. I will cautiously anticipate which extended family member is excited to see this film and wants to invite me. But why bother when it I anticipate it will be available on DVD for $15 at the FAIR conference this year? And then for free on BYUTV.com next year?

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:55 am

Daniel Petersen is one of the executive producers so you know it has a very apologetic spin on it right?

Stig

Post by Stig » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm

stuck wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:55 am
Daniel Petersen is one of the executive producers so you know it has a very apologetic spin on it right?
It's been his vanity project from the beginning.
“Some say he’s wanted by the CIA and that he sleeps upside down like a Bat. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

“Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals. All we know is he’s called the Stig.”

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:31 pm

I hope no one mistakes it for a remake of the Harrison Ford Amish movie from like the 90s(ish?)

They are going to be so disappointed. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 am

Here is a small scene from the movie involving Fanny Alger (the girl from the barn) and the Kirtland Safety Society Anti-Bank. Don't look for historical accuracy or good acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuwmhC2i4o
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

græy

Post by græy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:41 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:26 am
Here is a small scene from the movie involving Fanny Alger (the girl from the barn) and the Kirtland Safety Society Anti-Bank. Don't look for historical accuracy or good acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reuwmhC2i4o
Awww man. I was going to look for the historical inaccuracy and bad acting. But the video has been taken down!
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack