Help Please - Fact Check?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

Help Please - Fact Check?

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:23 am

So in our stake we are being told that meetings MUST return to normal by August 1. This isn't necessarily a bishopric thing as our bishop seems quite happy to let people choose for themselves when they are ready to come back, but it is being pushed, hard, by the stake.

Here is where I could use some help. The stake is claiming that this is coming from Salt Lake and the 1st presidency. So either:
1. They are accurate and every stake in the US is receiving the same message or
2. They are inaccurate and this is coming from our area authority who is using Salt Lake to cover his ass, in which case only stakes in our area will be getting this directive or
3. The stake is lying like hell about this being a Salt Lake directive and it is what they want in order to win some brownie points. In which case this should be news to everyone....

So, time to fact check them...what are you hearing?

-lost

hmb

Re: Help Please - Fact Check?

Post by hmb » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:14 am

What is meant by "normal?" I just got an email showing the Zoom schedule for church attendance all the way through December. They do, however, have "normal" church too. Are they demanding that all Zoom meetings are to be stopped? If so, something smells off. If Zoom is okay, as long as there is a normal option, then I suppose we are compliant.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:21 am

#2 here

Ward “officially” went back May 1 based on area authority letter read over pulpit. 80% of ward was already going at this point.

They still do the broadcast video over the internet but ironically after May 1, you needed a password to access the stream. Provided only by the Bishop and not to be shared. WTF??

No masks required.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

græy

Post by græy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:01 am

Our stake also restarted 2nd hour in-person meetings at the start of May under direction from the area authority. Wards still broadcast sacrament meetings (no password required) but 2nd hour classes are in-person only. If you want your kids to learn to "Follow the prophet" (TM)(C)(R) then you have to physically come to the building.

So far as I am aware, we have received no further mandates or schedules to change or restrict sacrament broadcasts.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm

That doesn't sound right. The gut tells me it's someone invoking Salt Lake to add weight to their directives and to ward off any criticism for their decision.

They've already announced that the October general conference will be virtual only. That doesn't sound back to normal at a global level.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Thank you all for your responses and insight. It didn't sound right to me either, but wanted to see if there was any evidence of it out there.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:28 am

nibbler wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 pm
They've already announced that the October general conference will be virtual only. That doesn't sound back to normal at a global level.
There is a desire for LDS leaders to remain safe.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:21 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:59 am
Tithing revenues must be declining now that so many people are coming to the conclusion that wrestling with little Oliver, Kaylee, and McKenna at 730 am in order to get to church in time to listen to Bishop Johnson tell about his spiritual experience while playing golf with Elder Gazlyt last week at the Bankers Golf Tournament just isn't worth it anymore.
Who knew??? :lol: