Happy Summer Solstice!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
annotatedbom

Happy Summer Solstice!

Post by annotatedbom » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:13 am

I don’t worship the sun, but I find it a lot more reliable and helpful than its oft’ worshipped homonym.

May your harvests be prosperous and your joy be great!

A-BoM

Angel

Re: Happy Summer Solstice!

Post by Angel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:55 pm

Blessed be fellow pagans, and Happy Strawberry Super Moon!

Directions from the high priestess: On June 24, the last full moon of the Spring season, take a walk under the moon (moon bath), light up the sky releasing what you need in a burning bowl. On another paper write what you invite into your life, then share your vivid strawberry dreams for interpretation.

One of my children is getting into this stuff, salt all over the house. Seasonal rituals and traditions can be a good thing, keeps everything fresh and new.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:34 pm

Have a fun Midsummer Day tomorrow!

Mead, whole suckling pigs, singing around the bonfire, and Maypole dancing. Just remember to only apply tobacco as poultices for your livestock.

Traditional celebration at BYU before the annual Polygamy ceremonies begin
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Post by Angel » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Getting in sync with "the lights", powerful stuff. Going to try this technique at our next anniversary https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/25/scie ... avior.html
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:31 am

If you ever happen to be in the Norte Chico region of Peru, you have to visit Chankillo. I have been fascinated with the significance of solstice since I saw this:
This is a gigantic solar calendar that is just one component of an ancient TWO-MILE LONG(!) religious complex, which itself is solar aligned. Mind thoroughly blown. I hope I can get back there someday.

The sun, as seen from a designated viewing station, rises and sets at the leftmost structure at Summer Solstice and the rightmost on Winter Solstice. See those lines receding into the distance on the right? The whole thing is contained in a rectangular structure of ceremonial courtyards and walled religious structures. And, if that's not enough, it is aligned at exactly 90 degrees to another nearby massive religious pyramid complex (a mere half mile long) that dates back to 6800 years ago. Suck on that, Assyrians!

Our Mr. Sun is a big deal for ancient human religion.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:36 pm

I find more meaning in contemplating the Sun's effect on our planet as well as the power of keeping track of stars and the Moon. I'm not going to start worshiping them, but it sure looks fun to join with a group of people celebrating nature. It's a lot more stimulating than sacrament meeting.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:31 am
If you ever happen to be in the Norte Chico region of Peru, you have to visit Chankillo. I have been fascinated with the significance of solstice since I saw this:
This is a gigantic solar calendar that is just one component of an ancient TWO-MILE LONG(!) religious complex, which itself is solar aligned. Mind thoroughly blown. I hope I can get back there someday.

The sun, as seen from a designated viewing station, rises and sets at the leftmost structure at Summer Solstice and the rightmost on Winter Solstice. See those lines receding into the distance on the right? The whole thing is contained in a rectangular structure of ceremonial courtyards and walled religious structures. And, if that's not enough, it is aligned at exactly 90 degrees to another nearby massive religious pyramid complex (a mere half mile long) that dates back to 6800 years ago. Suck on that, Assyrians!

Our Mr. Sun is a big deal for ancient human religion.
That is so cool!! I've never heard that before. NOM field trip!!!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:52 am

MoPag wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am
That is so cool!! I've never heard that before. NOM field trip!!!!!
Wouldn't that be awesome!

Here's the best I can do for now. It's a presentation I made for a Religious Studies class I took at the U of U. You'll have to sit through a short sculpture presentation and suffer with my voice, which sounds much sleepier on the outside than it sounded from my vantage point inside my head. I recommend listening at 1.5x speed. Despite that, the stuff I talk about is still absolutely mindblowing to me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HHsG6O ... sp=sharing
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:11 am

I'm reminded of an old Ray Charles 8-) song:

Up in the mornin', out on my job, work like the devil for my pay,
But that lucky old Sun's got nothin' to do, but roll 'round heaven all day.
Fuss with my woman, toil for my kids,
Sweat till I'm wrinkled and gray
While that lucky old sun has nothin' to do
But roll around heaven all day
Good Lord above, can't You know I'm pining
Tears all in my eyes
Send down that cloud with a silver lining
Lift me to Paradise
Show me that river, take me across
Wash all my troubles away
Like that lucky old sun, give me nothing to do
But roll around heaven all day
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.