4 things...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

4 things...

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:37 pm

Reading Stuck's post about what bothers him the most and I realized that there are four traits that every organized religion share:

1. There is some form of hierarchy, some are more developed then others (Mormon or Catholic church vs a local non-denominational for example).
2. You, as a general member, are at the bottom of that hierarchy.
3. The top individual(s) in the hierarchy insert themselves between the general member and deity. They are the ones that determine what the deity wants, needs, intends, or requires.
4. Deity demands that you pay those in the hierarchy. This can be in money, property, stock options, or sex depending on the hierarchy and the particular deity.

I have yet to find an organized religion that does not share these 4 traits.

-lost

Hagoth

Re: 4 things...

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:02 am

2 things...

That should trigger your internal RUN AWAY alarm.

1. We know what God wants you to do/believe.

2. God needs money.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:02 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:37 pm

-lost
This is why I prefer "disorganized" religions :lol: what I actually prefer is walks in nature on Sundays.

Any group of people seems some organization structure, for management, groups go through things like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuckman%2 ... evelopment

Forming
Storming
Norming
Performing ← the cool stage where there is no more hierarchy, but difficult to achieve.

I do like America's "by the people for the people" idea rather than "for the King, by the King". Majority / Mob rule :lol:

favorite quote for those finding themselves, and finding their new tribe: "When you follow the crowd you lose yourself, but when you follow your soul you will lose the crowd. Eventually your soul tribe will appear, but do not fear the process of solitude."
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

stuck

Post by stuck » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:52 pm

Reading Stuck's post about what bothers him the most and I realized that there are four traits that every organized religion share:

1. There is some form of hierarchy, some are more developed then others (Mormon or Catholic church vs a local non-denominational for example).
2. You, as a general member, are at the bottom of that hierarchy.
3. The top individual(s) in the hierarchy insert themselves between the general member and deity. They are the ones that determine what the deity wants, needs, intends, or requires.
4. Deity demands that you pay those in the hierarchy. This can be in money, property, stock options, or sex depending on the hierarchy and the particular deity.

-lost
This was actually Red Ryder's post but I kind of hijacked it. Sorry Red. I guess I just wanted to share what I learned about Pompeii that was interesting and tie it into your post.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:48 am

stuck wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:52 pm
This was actually Red Ryder's post but I kind of hijacked it. Sorry Red. I guess I just wanted to share what I learned about Pompeii that was interesting and tie it into your post.
No worries. It was your response that enhanced my brainless complaint about JS.

Lost - i particularly love #3 and #4. My faith crisis started when I learned new information that was purposely hidden to make the narrative more faith promoting. I struggled with the concept of feeling deceived. Perhaps wit was my fault for not knowing the history of my own church. Perhaps I was a lazy learner like the majority of Mormon members are.

It wasn’t until I recognized the pattern of the 4 things you mentioned that I realized all religions were a scam and designed to control the masses. That’s when I was able to intellectually disassociate with the Mormon church and all religion. The crazy part is this pattern of 4 things can also be found outside of religion. Politics, corporations, etc.

-lost
Excellent post.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg