Holotropic breathwork

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Holotropic breathwork

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm

Has anyone out there tried holotropic breathwork?

I just did a 2-hour workshop with my son. Holy cow! Too bad religion lacks the ability to deliver experiences like that. How often do you walk into a room where someone promises you an amazing experience and then it actually happens? Well, except for maybe an Iron Maiden concert (looking at you, Fluff). It packed more spiritual bang for my 45 bucks than a lifetime of tithe paying. It might sound like hippy woo magic but it's the real thing. A lifetime of meditation compressed into one hour.

Highly recommended.

I hope some of you have tried it so we can compare notes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Re: Holotropic breathwork

Post by 2bizE » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:54 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:36 pm
Has anyone out there tried holotropic breathwork?

I just did a 2-hour workshop with my son. Holy cow! Too bad religion lacks the ability to deliver experiences like that. How often do you walk into a room where someone promises you an amazing experience and then it actually happens? Well, except for maybe an Iron Maiden concert (looking at you, Fluff). It packed more spiritual bang for my 45 bucks than a lifetime of tithe paying. It might sound like hippy woo magic but it's the real thing. A lifetime of meditation compressed into one hour.

Highly recommended.

I hope some of you have tried it so we can compare notes.
Interesting. I have a hippie massage therapist my family frequents, maybe she knows people in my area that do this.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 am

This topic might seem more appropriate in the Coffee Shop, but the thing I want to stress is the failure of Mormonism, and religion in general, to deliver on direct personal experience. This simple breathing trick can give you a more powerful baptism by fire than sitting through a lifetime of general conferences. Makes you wonder what else is out there that we are overlooking when our quest for spiritual insight seldom strays from the beaten path that is approved by the Men in the High Seats.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is that if you prayed about the Book of Mormon and had the EXACT same experience that you get from holotropic breathwork you would be standing up in every testimony meeting and Sunday school class (and probably a series of missions) for the rest of your life to proclaim the power that God poured out on you that caused you to know, without a doubt, that the church is true.

I'm reading a fascinating book called The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name
Book by Brian C. Muraresku, about the original sacraments of all ancient religions, including Christianity, which were loaded with psychotropic substances. Their wines and ceremonial beers were very different from what we drink today. Muraresku observes that modern sacraments of bread and wine or water are empty symbolic placebos that are a shadow of the actual experience-inducing eucharists of millennia past, the original sacraments having been suppressed by organized religion to shift control of spirituality away from the participant (and original female hierophants) to the (male) hierarchy. The evidence for this is pretty substantial. Maybe I'll write a summary at some point if anyone is interested.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 am
This simple breathing trick can give you a more powerful baptism by fire than sitting through a lifetime of general conferences.
But can it provide the same quality of deep sleep that general conferences provide?

General conference is my white noise machine.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:34 am

nibbler wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:42 pm
But can it provide the same quality of deep sleep that general conferences provide?
General conference is my white noise machine.
No, I think you'd need a recording of vanilla ice cream melting to compete with that.

I have an observation about Mormon-style spirituality from meetings and temple attendance. Sometimes you come out of a meeting or session with a good, elevated feeling merely because you endured it. Like the way you would feel good coming out of a tight, hot closet with disco music playing and nails poking out of the walls after being forced to stand in there for a couple of hours. Your brain rewards you for getting through it.

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:45 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 am
This topic might seem more appropriate in the Coffee Shop, but the thing I want to stress is the failure of Mormonism, and religion in general, to deliver on direct personal experience. This simple breathing trick can give you a more powerful baptism by fire than sitting through a lifetime of general conferences. Makes you wonder what else is out there that we are overlooking when our quest for spiritual insight seldom strays from the beaten path that is approved by the Men in the High Seats.

ETA: What I'm trying to say is that if you prayed about the Book of Mormon and had the EXACT same experience that you get from holotropic breathwork you would be standing up in every testimony meeting and Sunday school class (and probably a series of missions) for the rest of your life to proclaim the power that God poured out on you that caused you to know, without a doubt, that the church is true.

I'm reading a fascinating book called The Immortality Key: The Secret History of the Religion with No Name
Book by Brian C. Muraresku, about the original sacraments of all ancient religions, including Christianity, which were loaded with psychotropic substances. Their wines and ceremonial beers were very different from what we drink today. Muraresku observes that modern sacraments of bread and wine or water are empty symbolic placebos that are a shadow of the actual experience-inducing eucharists of millennia past, the original sacraments having been suppressed by organized religion to shift control of spirituality away from the participant (and original female hierophants) to the (male) hierarchy. The evidence for this is pretty substantial. Maybe I'll write a summary at some point if anyone is interested
Interested!!!

And speaking of the beaten path, this poem speaks of the value of leaving a well-worn religious path:

The Place Where We Are Right
by Yehuda Amichai

From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.

The place where we are right
Is hard and trampled
Like a yard.

But doubts and loves
Dig up the world
Like a mole, a plow.
And a whisper will be heard in the place
Where the ruined
House once stood.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:43 am

FreeFallin wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:45 am

The Place Where We Are Right
by Yehuda Amichai
Love it.