“We really want buttery soft fabric”

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

“We really want buttery soft fabric”

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am

Looks like the church has another mutiny on its hands! It’s time the members rise up and demand better underwear!

https://news.yahoo.com/among-mormon-wo ... 34693.html
Last month, Piton posted several cheerfully direct pleas to Instagram, where she discusses church culture as @themormonhippie. “We really want buttery soft fabric,” she said, addressing her comments to the church’s 96-year-old president, Russell M. Nelson. “My vagina has to breathe.”
Not everyone is attached to the idea of preserving the garments. Lindsay Perez, 24, who lives in Salt Lake City, used to experience persistent urinary tract infections that she believes were made worse by her garments. She now leaves them off at night and after she showers.

If she had her choice, she said, she would prefer to wear a cross necklace, or a ring — popular among young church members — with the letters CTR, a reference to the motto “Choose the Right,” a reminder to make ethical choices. “There are so many different ways to remind myself of what I’ve promised,” Perez said. “I don’t need that to be through my underwear.”

“People are scared to be brutally honest, to say: ‘This isn’t working for me. It isn’t bringing me closer to Christ, it’s giving me UTIs,’” Perez said.
“It’s of a greater magnitude than the church has any idea about,” Parker said. “Either get into the underwear business or get out.”
I sustain the church getting out of the fundie undie business!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stuck

Re: “We really want buttery soft fabric”

Post by stuck » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:56 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am
Looks like the church has another mutiny on its hands! It’s time the members rise up and demand better underwear!

https://news.yahoo.com/among-mormon-wo ... 34693.html
Last month, Piton posted several cheerfully direct pleas to Instagram, where she discusses church culture as @themormonhippie. “We really want buttery soft fabric,” she said, addressing her comments to the church’s 96-year-old president, Russell M. Nelson. “My vagina has to breathe.”
Not everyone is attached to the idea of preserving the garments. Lindsay Perez, 24, who lives in Salt Lake City, used to experience persistent urinary tract infections that she believes were made worse by her garments. She now leaves them off at night and after she showers.

If she had her choice, she said, she would prefer to wear a cross necklace, or a ring — popular among young church members — with the letters CTR, a reference to the motto “Choose the Right,” a reminder to make ethical choices. “There are so many different ways to remind myself of what I’ve promised,” Perez said. “I don’t need that to be through my underwear.”

“People are scared to be brutally honest, to say: ‘This isn’t working for me. It isn’t bringing me closer to Christ, it’s giving me UTIs,’” Perez said.
“It’s of a greater magnitude than the church has any idea about,” Parker said. “Either get into the underwear business or get out.”
I sustain the church getting out of the fundie undie business!
I second the motion!

sparky

Post by sparky » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:16 am

If she had her choice, she said,
It's honestly amazing how effectively Mormonism convinces people that they are completely powerless, with no ability to choose anything for themselves. Reminds me of when I heard my mother and sister discussing kambucha and how they had no idea whether it was against the word of wisdom because they had searched lds.org and found no information.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:36 am

sparky wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:16 am
If she had her choice, she said,
It's honestly amazing how effectively Mormonism convinces people that they are completely powerless, with no ability to choose anything for themselves. Reminds me of when I heard my mother and sister discussing kambucha and how they had no idea whether it was against the word of wisdom because they had searched lds.org and found no information.
That’s what gets me. I constantly hear similar things. What happened to using the brain god gave you? I’ve her stories of a lady who went to her doctor and asked for a prescription for coffee. Then she went to the bishop and showed him the Rx and said she was drinking coffee on doctors orders and he shouldn’t have to take her temple recommend away. Huh?

Why not decide as an adult that you don’t have to declare what you choose to drink to your neighbor the bishop?

Regards to the article, I think the younger kids are already refusing to wear garments and the church will eventually change practice.

That’s the real authorized pattern.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:21 am
This isn’t working for me. It isn’t bringing me closer to Christ
Now there's a SURPRISE!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:13 pm

If she had her choice, she said, she would prefer to wear a cross necklace, or a ring — popular among young church members — with the letters CTR, a reference to the motto “Choose the Right,” a reminder to vote Republican. “There are so many different ways to remind myself of what I’ve promised,” Perez said. “I don’t need that to be through my underwear.”
Is this jewelry actually popular among young Church members?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 am

IMO demanding better underwear options is the wrong approach. At the end of that day you may get one or two new underwear options but you're still dependent on getting permission of nonagenarians to live your life.

"We really want you 100% out of these types of decisions in our lives."

And on that front you don't ask for or wait for permission; you just do it and move on. The brethren can figure it out when garment sales taper off.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

alas

Post by alas » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 am

We just got back from a trip to Yosemite NP and other sweltering spots in California with our son, DIL and grandkids, and my husband had a meltdown. It turned out he was upset about noticing that son and DIL stopped wearing garments. But, yeah, guess who took off his own tops because of the heat. Hypocrisy much. I don’t know if DS and DIL have stopped wearing Gs at home and I don’t care. But he has noticed that DIL is increasingly feminist and liberal as far as church goes, and of course with our one DD in a same sex marriage they totally support gay rights against the teachings of the church. But so does he, sorta. Depends on who he is talking to, I have heard him say that he disapproves of DD SS marriage when he is talking to church members.

But he is so afraid that he has lost his whole family for eternity. That is how believers see the choice to stop wearing the horrid polygamy sex discouraging suits. It is choosing to put your “selfish desires” above being with family for eternity and in that sense it is not a choice people can make freely.

My mother drank coffee on doctors orders and told the truth and even though she stopped six months before my wedding, the bishop and stake president both gave her hell. My mother in law drank coffee cause she wanted to and lied and she was RSP.

I knew a woman once who had the nerve to decide to be fully active and not wear garments. The ward gossip was terrible. It was Florida and garment lines show through clothing unless you wear two or three layers, so people noticed. I asked her how she answered the TR question and she said she tells them she puts on the full armor of Christ. She means in a spiritual sense, rather than an underwear sense. She just decided that such things are REALLY between her and God as the church claims and not between her and the institutional church. I really admired her spunk, but I am more like my mother and tell the truth and yeah, I was given hell over the fact that I had trouble wearing garments because they make me feel like God hates me. My feelings were sinful and the bishops gave me hell over how I felt and could not even begin to understand how it all tied back to being sexually abused as a child and me making decisions over my own body. Nope, my body belongs to the Mormon church. Not anymore or ever again.

But my DH really has a hard time with feeling like he has lost me and all our kids for eternity. I hate this church for hurting him this way. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:29 am

alas wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:23 am
But my DH really has a hard time with feeling like he has lost me and all our kids for eternity. I hate this church for hurting him this way. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
This sums it up so well... I know my in-laws feel this way about their daughter that left, and that has influenced DW to double down because she knows how she'll be looked at if she ever left.

As for garments, DW knows how much I hate them and I mentioned how many people I've read or talked to that are members but don't wear them all day and she said that anyone who doesn't wear them 24/7 is "not a real member of the church." Sadly that thinking runs deep.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:39 am
IMO demanding better underwear options is the wrong approach. At the end of that day you may get one or two new underwear options but you're still dependent on getting permission of nonagenarians to live your life.

"We really want you 100% out of these types of decisions in our lives."

And on that front you don't ask for or wait for permission; you just do it and move on. The brethren can figure it out when garment sales taper off.
Sometimes, you're in too deep to even begin to see the situation for what it is. I know I was.

stuck

Post by stuck » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:50 pm

Maybe they could get out of the underwear business and get into the ring business like the Masons :D

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARDxAg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:08 pm

glass shelf wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm
Sometimes, you're in too deep to even begin to see the situation for what it is. I know I was.
For sure, and I oversimplified. There are several complicating factors, like relationships with others, that get tangled up in all this.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:20 pm

I want buttery soft fabric!!

Oh and this was my fave part of the article
Afton Southam Parker, a mother of five who was raised in the church, has lived in Uganda and Thailand, where the garments felt especially stifling in the heat. In furtive conversations with other women, she realized she was not alone. “Everybody I talked to was getting some kind of rash or infection,” she said.

The word she heard over and over from women was “suffocation.”

Parker made it her mission to get church leaders to produce garments that fit and felt better. She approached one church leader after a talk, and wrote to anyone she thought could help. When a church designer finally agreed to meet with her last year, she showed him 34 PowerPoint slides that explained the garments’ many problems for women.

The initial result was disheartening, although she was encouraged recently when the church’s design team asked her for more feedback. “You’re talking about pads and gore,” she recalled the man responding at first. The implication was that such earthy topics were inappropriate for discussions of sacred matters.

Um wow!! What the actual fnck?
The man who was tasked with designing underwear for WOMEN didn't want to talk about pads and "gore"??!?!?!
I think he's missing some essential information on both women and underwear.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm

This picture on the NYT social media pages is the kind of thing that is going to really ruffle the feathers of the old men at the COB.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:34 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:20 pm
This picture on the NYT social media pages is the kind of thing that is going to really ruffle the feathers of the old men at the COB.
That’s hilarious. I see themed garments in the near future.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:55 pm

This was such an amazing and fun and real article loaded with money quotes…

“If you’re trying to optimize someone’s gynecologic health, it’s not recommended,” said Dr. Kellie Woodfield, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Utah who is a member of the church.

“We really want buttery soft fabric,” she said, addressing her comments to the church’s 96-year-old president, Russell M. Nelson. “My vagina has to breathe.”

‘This isn’t working for me. It isn’t bringing me closer to Christ, it’s giving me UTIs,’”

and a favorite:

“Either get into the underwear business or get out.”
~2bizE

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:07 am

stuck wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:50 pm
Maybe they could get out of the underwear business and get into the ring business like the Masons :D
I think that the Masons already have entirely too much influence over LDS spiritual practices. I can imagine the rollout of the jewelry: "For decades you have enjoyed temple worship with Masonic roots. Now you can publicly display those Masonic influences with a new line of themed rings and necklaces! It's the Virtue Signaller Collection, now available at Deseret Book."

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:49 am

Nice article, thanks for sharing. Hopefully those ladies got more traction, although I would like to see changes at the grass roots level with people being more liberal with their interpretation of what wearing garments "throughout your life" means.

It is painfully obvious that garment designers live in an arid climate. In humid regions the things are miserable if you spend anytime outside in them because your skin stays wet and isn't allowed to breathe.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am

Just an idea, what are the chances of a grass roots movement for women to design and make their own garment? Any chance that people will start sharing garment patterns that people can make and customize as they want? Do their own cuts, materials, etc. Something with the appropriate marks to qualify as garments, but with their own ideas.

On the other hand, how many people know enough about sewing to be able to make their own these days?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Dr. Licious

Post by Dr. Licious » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:00 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 am
Just an idea, what are the chances of a grass roots movement for women to design and make their own garment? Any chance that people will start sharing garment patterns that people can make and customize as they want? Do their own cuts, materials, etc. Something with the appropriate marks to qualify as garments, but with their own ideas.

On the other hand, how many people know enough about sewing to be able to make their own these days?
I am in the military and the church allows you to purchase your own shirts and bottoms (as long as the inseam is 7") and have them sent in and the garment marks are added. The silkscreen the marks on the inside so you can't see them. So it's feasible they could allow something like this.
I loathe the church bottoms for men, so now all my bottoms are solid black Under Armor.