Nephite Coin - Proves the BoM True :)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Nephite Coin - Proves the BoM True :)

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:41 am

:lol: This one will tickle your fancy…a Nephite Coin in the possession of the church was found in the 1800s.
“ The article compared the characters on the coin to the copy of the characters of the Book of Mormon presented to the New York Professor Charles Anthon. Matching patterns between letters on the transcript and the coin, the editor concluded this was enough evidence to prove the coin was, in fact, a Nephite relic and that, in turn, the coin verified the truth of the Book of Mormon.”
Turns out to be a common coin from Bengal, which language apparently is very close to Reformed Egyptian.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50210543/th ... er-mystery
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Re: Nephite Coin - Proves the BoM True :)

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:21 pm

Fascinating story!

I hadn’t heard of a coin shortage in Canada before. I love the speculation and ability to trace the coin back to the mint based on size.

I look forward to the day when real Nephite artifacts can be found.
Last edited by Red Ryder on Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm

This is one of those stories where I think "why post this?" once you realize it's just an ordinary coin... not only is it in no way BoM evidence, it shows that characters that looked like what Joseph wrote as reformed egyptian were known and used in the New England area in his time...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:03 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm
This is one of those stories where I think "why post this?" once you realize it's just an ordinary coin... not only is it in no way BoM evidence, it shows that characters that looked like what Joseph wrote as reformed egyptian were known and used in the New England area in his time...
Good point. Another data point that Smith made it up.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:05 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:42 pm
I thought out why they would have this article on KSL. The moral of the story is “Remember that Nephite coin that was found with all of the reformed Egyptian markings? It has nothing to do with Mormonism. There still is zero evidence for the Nephites.”
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:13 pm

That is a good article at KSL. Early Mormons so desperately wanted evidence that their stories were true, that coins from India helped proved that story characters such as Nephi and Rumpelstiltskin actually existed.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 pm

Most TBMs whether they only see the headline or even if they read the article will go away only remembering that they have seen documented evidence of Nephite coins from a reputable source...

When I asked my TBM (now ex-) wife if she knew of any archeological evidence of the BOM she said was sure that she had seen some. She was never able to produce it for me though. That was before I realized that asking such a thing was a terrible idea...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom » Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Wow! Just wow! Joseph Smith a money digger happens to invent an ancient language whose characters coincidentally look exactly like those on coins found plentifully in Canada in the early 1800s

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 pm

I'm betting if Joseph had lived to make it to the Salt Lake valley, that coin would have been taken to him and verified as a true coin of Nephite specie and there would have been a heck of a story behind it as well. It was likely dropped by Moroni heading up to New York to bury the plates in the second Hill Cumorah. Or maybe he traded it for an uncommonly friendly Lamanite's horse because he was getting tired of walking.......
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Zeezrom wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:39 pm
Wow! Just wow! Joseph Smith a money digger happens to invent an ancient language whose characters coincidentally look exactly like those on coins found plentifully in Canada in the early 1800s.
Only serves to prove it all true. Believing spouses could testify on this point!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha