Get used to disappointment...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Get used to disappointment...

Post by græy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm

The church website has a link to this thing it calls the "Become Experience" - https://become.comeuntochrist.org/

It allows you to click on a single simple topic that will help you start on a spiritual journey. The longest of the topics is "Dealing with disappointment", which is a very important topic to master when engaging the LDS church and expecting any real personal spiritual growth. That is all. :lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Ghost

Re: Get used to disappointment...

Post by Ghost » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:57 pm

One of the biggest disappointments I've faced is a loss of confidence in things I once saw as foundational and essential parts of my identity. I don't think this site can help me because any solution it offers is undoubtedly based on some of those same assumptions.

I was still a little curious to see what it would say, but the site had sound and would only give me a small amount of text at a time so I quit after a couple panels.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 pm

So much opportunity for disappointment. Has there ever been a religion that is so susceptible to dismantlement via critical analysis and objective evidence?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 pm

Their website naming convention is hilarious.

Become Come Unto Christ... :lol:
Welcome to Become
Become is a tool that helps you live a happier life and grow closer to Jesus Christ through simple spiritual exercises.
This is like the first discussion in coloring book form.

First journey (discussion) is:

In This Journey

1 Who Is God
2 God Loves You
3 Be Still and Speak to God
4 Follow His Commandments
5 Love God
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:05 pm

Inconceivable!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:36 pm

Geez, this website is kind of creepy. It's like Mormons pretending they're not Mormons. Feels like a trap. I think the opening line, just to keep things honest, should be "Do you want to be a god?"

The steps should talk about seer stones, magic underwear, unquestioning devotion to executives in SLC, and paying 10%. You know, honesty.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Oh wow that was creepy AF!!

I did the forgiveness path. It never tells you how to forgive just tells you you should. Then you are supposed to type the name of the person you want to forgive and then pick an action like: send a text, or give a hug. And then they prompt you to screen shot it so you will remember.

Oh and they want you to create a profile. It's so weird.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

sparky

Post by sparky » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:13 am

This looks very much like an attempt to capitalize on the mindfulness bandwagon. The design and overall vibe feel very much like the Headspace or Calm apps or something.

I just did a quick look through the different "paths", interesting that there seems to be nothing at all unique to Mormonism. There's a Bible topic but nothing about the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, modern prophets, or anything Mormon. And then there's the big Meet With Missionaries button at the bottom. It's clearly a tool to target generic Christians or spiritual people, have them feel good about something and associate it with this normal looking church before roping them into baptism, giving up coffee, paying absurd amounts of money, etc.

ETA: I'm thinking the theory behind efforts like this is one I used to sincerely believe and I think many members do. It's this idea of the Light Of Christ and how it leads all of God's children to The Truth (i.e. the church). If you can get someone to feel The Spirit by, for example, doing service or praying or anything that will induce a feeling of elevation, well by gum they've invited the Holy Ghost into their head, giving them access to their thoughts so He can influence them to join the church. It's not real of course, but I remember this theory being a major motivating force on my mission.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:44 pm

Faith not to be healed
Faith to pray but know it has no impact on my expected outcome, roll some dice
Faith to go to a church meeting with a hope you might get a nugget of inspiration, maybe a few points in the CK book or at least enough tolerance to make it through another mind numbing hour or two.

Maybe there could be a points system for those things that created the most disappointment. Maybe "Dissappoints" could be the new unit of measure for GC talks. It's easier than the monetary system JS made up in the BOM.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:24 pm

græy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm
The church website has a link to this thing it calls the "Become Experience" - https://become.comeuntochrist.org/

It allows you to click on a single simple topic that will help you start on a spiritual journey. The longest of the topics is "Dealing with disappointment", which is a very important topic to master when engaging the LDS church and expecting any real personal spiritual growth. That is all. :lol:
Yeah, ain't that the truth. Sheesh!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode