Dr. Prophet Finally Speaks

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Cnsl1

Re: Dr. Prophet Finally Speaks

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:22 pm

"
Last edited by Cnsl1 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:42 pm

I'm hearing these kinds of words from conservative Mormon associates :

"He just said 'urged'; we still have our free agency."

"This is not a commandment."

"He is speaking to the weakest of the Saints."

People will hear what they want to hear. All of us.

I'm wondering about the "we know the only way to stop this is if a significant portion of the population is immune. " Fasting and prayer sure doesn't work.

Kudos to church leaders for taking a stand. Feels more like a corporate decision, though, and certainly comes late in the process, which makes it feel more reactionary than inspired. But still... let's take the win...
Last edited by Cnsl1 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:52 pm

Will they be reading the statement from the pulpit tomorrow in church?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmb

Post by hmb » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:21 am

It just really bugs me how Covid "safety" is stake by stake. On Reddit, some talk about their wards/stakes no longer offering Zoom church and masks/vaccines are frowned on. Others stopped offering Zoom and say it's individual choice. My Stake has sent out a letter stressing the importance of the prophet's words and to get the vaccine. They will still have in church and Zoom meetings offered. They request, but do not require masks. It's all over the place. This would seem like a good time to get real direction from the prophet, since he can commune with God, and does so for the entire church (as well as the world). After all, it isn't like the consequence of an individual's choice only affects their own self. The wishy-washiness is no different than the world's views, which are all over the place. A true church, with living prophets, would be able to give definitive guidance and stress that free agency isn't without consequence. You can choose to abide by these health guidelines or stay home. Those who proclaim some excuse for not following the guidance cause some members, who fear for their unvaccinated kids, to stay home. It's just backward. Fearing membership loss is not a good reason to let local leadership decide what is and isn't safe.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:23 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm
FIL said yesterday...”Guess I better go find a vaxx appointment!”

Like dude, we’ve been telling you this since March with no effect. Now that the prophet suggests it “I better go soon....”
I really really hope Rusty and Pals' embarrassingly late plea will convince as many members as possible to get vaccinated. I read through some of the comments on the church's FB pages and I saw several people, like your FIL, who are finally going to get vaccinated. Thank the Goddess because the Delta variant is kicking our a$$es. My hospital has been above capacity for weeks. And it's just getting worse.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:52 am

Long, long rant ahead. Be warned. Please, please, please let me say the swears.

My mom doesn't like this dictum from the prophets, her spiritual superiors. She's been crying all day over it! She's a damn fool! Suck it up and deal with it, you big baby! If assorted haircut-wanters and whiny idiots like you had locked down a year and a half ago, Earth wouldn't be in such a big mess! If fascists and fash-sympathizers of her ilk had worn masks at the January 6 putsch, so many wouldn't have been arrested. At least her sister (my aunt) and her father (my grandfather) are relatively more sensible. I want to scream obscenities in her face!!

Choice quotations, together with my raging commentary:
- "I've been crying off and on all day over this." Just follow the prophet and wear a mask, you disease enthusiast! Grow the f--k up! I'm half your age and more mature than you! When was the last time someone told you "No"? Your husband got infected because of this reckless (if not outright murderous) attitude! We are all lucky he didn't die!

- "I'm really struggling to find the love for the church leaders right now. At least I'm secure in the knowledge that this isn't the Gospel, so there's that." I'll probably break something if this of all things, where for once science and Mormonism agree, is what drives her out of the church. She would do well to remember that obedience is the first law of heaven.

- "It's just... harder?... for me to deal with this type of thing, and I often feel vilified for daring to say anything disagreeing with this. (So then I feel like I have to explain why I'm not a horrible, awful murderer.) Ugh. I think I'm ready for the Second Coming now, please!!" You richly deserve vilification! You're vilified because you're no better than an anti-vaxxer, you dolt! you fool! you maniac! you death cultist! Morons like you have killed millions around the world, and more Americans in a year and a half than the US Civil War killed in four! I'm so glad I'm moving out soon, so I won't have to hold my peace while she spreads opprobrious lies from the Republican party line. And you would rather that the world end than that you have to be mildly inconvenienced?? You want Elohim to kill, geld, and spay billions, and eternally torture millions (including your own apostate daughter by the way) so you don't have to get a couple of shots and feel slightly ill for a couple days, or put a bit of cloth over your face without feeling like you're disobeying him?

Why are these losers so obsessed with showing their gross face-holes to all-comers? Cover up, you sluts! I wonder if those fundamentalist Muslim preachers who don't accuse Covid of being an infidel conspiracy, say that the niqab was divinely inspired to protect Muslim women against disease and the kafir spurn this commandment to their own detriment.

"FREEDOM" means I won't do what you tell me and you can't do anything about it! I'm free to spread disease!! Any attempt to curb the spread is Communism and therefore satanic!!! I'm rational!!1

I'm not even close to having gotten all my feelings out, but I'm out of words.

Minor edit, which does not at all invalidate my point: Over a million total people died during the US Civil War, but 620'000 soldiers died, as compared with 636'000 American Covid deaths. My point stands.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:26 pm

I mean, I think RMN is a ridiculous, opportunistic, power-hungry corporate figurehead, but he got this right. Wear a mask. Get vaccinated. Take simple steps for the good of all.

I do find it surprising that so many people are upset by it. I would definitely have still gotten vaccinated and worn masks when I was a member, and I see my LDS friends doing the same.

I spent half the day working with Covid positive patients today. :( I worry about my kids as their schools have decided that masks are optional which means almost no one is actually wearing them. My youngest kid can't be vaccinated yet.

2021 is definitely not living up to the hopes I had for it. Maybe 2022. Maybe.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:01 pm

From our stake presidency (edited version): "We have been perplexed as to how to guide the stake in this devisive situation, but the prophet bailed us out. Get vaccinated! Wear masks if you're not vaccinated! Social distance! Be safe! Follow the Prophet!"

Ok, sounds good.

Later the SAME day from the Stake President: "The temple is open! Renew your recommends! Let's fill the temple!"

Uh, what?

Reading further.. "masks are optional, unless you work in the temple. Please come, fill the temple."

Naw, I'm gonna pass.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:15 am

I decided to attend SM with Sister Ryder today.

About 60% of the congregation had a mask on. This compares to zero masks last week according to the wife, which she said had been normal for a long time now.

I’m impressed. President Nelson makes his statement and gets decent results.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:21 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:15 am
I decided to attend SM with Sister Ryder today.

About 60% of the congregation had a mask on. This compares to zero masks last week according to the wife, which she said had been normal for a long time now.

I’m impressed. President Nelson makes his statement and gets decent results.
This is good.

We "hear" of a lot of dissent against Dr. CEO/Prophet's suggestions on the inter-webs, but it has been my hope that those loud folks are in the minority.

based on your observation RR, that is the case and the majority of believers will follow the suggestions.

I think lives will be saved by those followers. Again: This is good. I just wish it had happened MUCH SOONER.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:24 pm

A family friend, former Bishop’s wife and former YW President, who has posted lots of anti-vax/mask stuff posted this today. A 6 page letter to the First Presidency full of the typical anti-vax propaganda. Its on a page full of links to Denver Snuffer’s page.

http://www.saytothem.com/wp-content/upl ... etter-.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:32 am

I imagine a large number of Mormons in the Middle Ages scoffed at the pleading to get vaccinated against the Bubonic Plague.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:41 am

Mormon Stories has a panel discussion on this. I have not listened to it yet, but it's downloaded and in my que. I'll start it on my commute home tonight.

https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/t ... d-vaccine/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:14 am

I'm not the first to say this nor the one to say it best, but I really have to express how truly disgusted I am that for these members who are leaving it isn't the misogyny, it isn't the racism, it isn't the homophobia, it isn't the sexual predation of early Church leaders, it isn't the lies and deceptions, it isn't the intentional dividing of famililies, it isn't any of the many truly and grossly immoral things the Church does and stands for that is driving them out of the Church. It is something that is a relatively minor inconvenience to them, and something that may the save the life of someone around them.

I would normally say any reason to leave the Church is a good reason - but in this case I'm gonna say anyone who is cool with all of the other garbage but leaves the Church over this is a total and complete a**hole. And that is not a word I ever use lightly.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:54 am

How Mormon is it that the single that could cause a major rift in the church is the one time when the church actually gets something RIGHT?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:59 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:14 am
I'm not the first to say this nor the one to say it best, but I really have to express how truly disgusted I am that for these members who are leaving it isn't the misogyny, it isn't the racism, it isn't the homophobia, it isn't the sexual predation of early Church leaders, it isn't the lies and deceptions, it isn't the intentional dividing of famililies, it isn't any of the many truly and grossly immoral things the Church does and stands for that is driving them out of the Church. It is something that is a relatively minor inconvenience to them, and something that may the save the life of someone around them.

I would normally say any reason to leave the Church is a good reason - but in this case I'm gonna say anyone who is cool with all of the other garbage but leaves the Church over this is a total and complete a**hole. And that is not a word I ever use lightly.
I have similarly been struggling coming to grips with the fact that millions and millions of people, my peers, are skipping the vaccine. Mormon and non-mormon alike. The evidence of efficacy and safety is overwhelming. BILLIONS of doses of the vaccine have been administered with very little side effects. The COVID hot spot maps are basically maps of high vs. low vaccine takeup (and political maps...) which clearly shows the vaccines work. If enough people were vaccinated then COVID becomes less of an issue than RSV season. But this huge group continues to grasp at bad reasons to avoid getting vaccinated in spite of that information. And now there is a growing group on Facebook rejecting germ theory entirely. Here in Utah they are preventing prudent policy of a mask mandate at elementary schools until young kids have had a chance to be vaccinated, putting my own children at risk. I don't understand this deliberate and selective idiocy and anti-thoughtfulness. And I don't know how to fix it. And it is scary and makes it hard to have hope for the future.

The internet was supposed to put information in the hands of the masses and the masses were supposed to be wise enough to handle it. But they are not. We are not. :|
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:52 pm

Mackman wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 am
I am really excited that this could potentially accelerate the demise of the church as it is creating a schism within !!
And a couple more cults are born. I hope the kids get out ok.

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:57 pm

Just found out one of my "never-vax" in-laws got vaccinated last week. Presumably due to the directive from the FP. I guess for him loyalty to the church trumps loyalty to doubting COVID stuff.

Good job church.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:59 pm
And now there is a growing group on Facebook rejecting germ theory entirely.
Geez, that's right up there with flat-earthers. Who would ever have guessed that the 21st century would produce the stupidest of all time? Ancient people were not this stupid. There is a new breed of willful, defiant stupidity that I find very perplexing. In 500 BC Pythagoras was giving good observation-based arguments about how he know the earth was round. Too bad he didn't have "real news" to set him straight.

The big difference between the ignorant and the willfully stupid is a massive helping of arrogance.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Tangent

Post by Tangent » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm

Here's my ultra conservative TBM mother's response a couple of weeks ago:

She thinks the reason that the prophet encouraged members to get vaccinated is not for the health benefit, but so that the membership won't be persecuted for not getting vaccinated by all the evil liberals out there. I couldn't believe it. Vaccination encouragement to avoid persecution. mind blown.

she's still not vaccinated, nor to i think she intends to.