Dr. Prophet Finally Speaks

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
græy

Dr. Prophet Finally Speaks

Post by græy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Dr. Prophet Nelson is finally leveraging his experience as a doctor and his throne as a prophet to disseminate some useful advice!

If only he had done something like this last year! Or even 6 months ago!
Last edited by græy on Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

jfro18

Re: Dr. Prophet Finally Speaks

Post by jfro18 » Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:55 pm

This was necessary given the news story over the weekend about a member using personal revelation to have God tell her NOT to take the vaccine, landing her husband in the hospital since July.

The two things missing from this statement:
personal revelation
priesthood blessings

Sometimes I get the feeling that church leaders know those two things don't actually work and that science is actually the answer. Interesting, no?

græy

Post by græy » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:05 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:55 pm
This was necessary given the news story over the weekend about a member using personal revelation to have God tell her NOT to take the vaccine, landing her husband in the hospital since July.
You're absolutely right. If the church ever does anything actually good/useful without somehow being forced into it due to bad PR I'll be shocked.
The two things missing from this statement:
personal revelation
priesthood blessings

Sometimes I get the feeling that church leaders know those two things don't actually work and that science is actually the answer. Interesting, no?
That was the frustrating thing about when the updated the handbook to say vaccines are good. They had to go the extra step and put in the disclaimer that everyone should pray for revelation to know for themselves if they should or shouldn't get it.

In this case all they said was follow the recommendations of medical experts. Which is exactly what they should have been broadcasting from day 1.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Well... At least they didn't wait 50 years later than they should have like they do with everything else.

[END SARCASM]

Too Little; Too Late LD$ Inc. (Yeah, that's what I'm really trying to say...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:52 pm

PR ends here. They’ll still allow open attendance at church and not require a mask.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:22 pm

I have seen the backlash from some of the faithful. Support for the prophet will only go so far.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:39 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:22 pm
I have seen the backlash from some of the faithful. Support for the prophet will only go so far.
Fortunately for them they have been trained to fall back on "speaking as a man" whenever the prophet's declarations don't agree with their personal choices of convenience. But that won't stop them from leaping to their feet at the first opportunity to express how their faith system is superior to everyone else's precisely because it has a living prophet.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

shrugged

Post by shrugged » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:25 pm

I’m flabbergasted (well not really, I’ve seen it all before) at the comments objecting to the loss of free agency. Of course they still have agency to disobey this recommendation as they do with any other rule or commandment, but seriously, how long have they been members of this church? It issues lots of rules about lots of things. They tell you what kind of underwear to wear for Pete’s sake! And in every instance you have the freedom to obey or not. Pay tithing or don’t. Keep the sabbath holy or don’t. Get vaccinated or don’t. But don’t pretend you’re following the prophet if you don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:25 pm

For entertainment value read through the LDS Freedom Forum post about this:

https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewto ... =1&t=62167
They. Are. In. On. The. Scam.

When my husband showed me the article, the words “I’m done” came out of my mouth.

It’s like belonging to a cooking club. Paying my dues, and then all of a sudden the board starts holding meetings on how to fix cars. And our dues start going towards car shows. I stop going and I stop paying my dues. It’s not what I joined. I don’t align with this.
Or real estate investments?
God revealed to me this was a Satanic scam in March 2020 from day 1. I knew without any shadow of a doubt by the Holy Ghost.

No man on this planet changes that fact.
Not my prophet.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:36 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:08 am

I am really excited that this could potentially accelerate the demise of the church as it is creating a schism within !!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:45 am

You'd think that the Dr. Prophet guy... A dude who spent his entire career wearing a face-covering to limit the spread of "germs"... Could have said something about face coverings helping with a pandemic... I don't know... A YEAR AND A HALF ago when the pandemic began?

No? I guess Rusty's Magick Lighted Revelatory Pen doesn't understand basic science? Or maybe the Magick batteries in the Magick pen have been running low for over 18 months and he just got 'round to replacing them?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:35 am

From reading the dozens of posts in Reddit about this it apparently is not going over well with some members. This is a terrible pandemic that somehow has managed to cause quite a divide between members and leaders…even the most devout members are now questioning leaders…very interesting…I will probably need to stop at Costco to get enough popcorn for our NOM ward.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm

FIL said yesterday...”Guess I better go find a vaxx appointment!”

Like dude, we’ve been telling you this since March with no effect. Now that the prophet suggests it “I better go soon....”

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Like dude, we’ve been telling you this since March with no effect. Now that the prophet suggests it “I better go soon....”
This is the thing that really makes me so sad - in most ways more sad than watching people say they wont get vaxxed even with the FP telling them to.

The idea that they couldn't make that decision on their own (or with family/friends/doctors telling them to) but then immediately jump to do it once an old dude says they should is just so sad to me.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:01 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:33 pm

Um... Did FIL miss the Photo Op/PR Stunt when Rusty and his buddies originally got jabbed?

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:38 pm
The idea that they couldn't make that decision on their own (or with family/friends/doctors telling them to)
I just want to say something here: I don't think it's ever a bad idea to talk to your doctor about getting a vaccination. (As long as your doctor is not some homeopathic kook who really isn't a doctor, but plays one in their imagination.)

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Wow this is an amazing test of hardcore Mormons and politics. In my experience (including myself personally in a former life) the most hardcore TBMs tend to be to the far right of the political spectrum and millennialist.

So here we have the FP encouraging the “the mark of the beast”??!! Lol wonder if the ranks of Denver Snuffer will increase. Could we see splintering??

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:00 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm
Well... At least they didn't wait 50 years later than they should have like they do with everything else.

[END SARCASM]

They were waiting for us to forget about the two fasts that didn't work.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:08 am

DPRoberts wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:00 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm

[END SARCASM]

They were waiting for us to forget about the two fasts that didn't work.
Wouldn't it be something if they announced that faith, fasting and prayer helped scientists to develop an affective vaccine in record time?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:10 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:08 am
Wouldn't it be something if they announced that faith, fasting and prayer helped scientists to develop an affective vaccine in record time?
I've seen many members make just this very claim already.