Doctor prescribes coffee

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Doctor prescribes coffee

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 am

I had a checkup yesterday. My doctor highly approved of my coffee habit and said, "keep that up!"

He also gave me an enthusiastic thumbs-up for psilocybin. Now I have both medical and religious validation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Doctor prescribes coffee

Post by jfro18 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:12 am

I mean that's great but you have a doctor who is also a prophet who is pretty clear you're going to hell for it.

But, you know, I hope it's worth it.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:13 am

I had an internist who recommended green tea for nausea.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:20 am

I have a testimony of this healthcare plan!

In addition to a double espresso each morning and a tiny dose of psilocybin every 2-3 days, I add a healthy daily dose of herbal compounds: THC, CBD, CBC, CBCV, CBDV, CBGV, THCV, along with a few terpenes: myrcene, limonene, caryophyllene, terpinolene, pinene, humulene, ocimene and linalool. This, along with the Highlander backyard projects full body workout, dropped me down to ideal weight and good blood levels. It also really helped this past year, not having that 40 minute drive each way to SLC every weekday (and not eating out downtown 5 days a week).
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:16 am

Hmmm...

I think I need a referral. :ugeek:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:38 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:16 am
Hmmm...

You're going to have to qualify for student healthcare at the U of U. Once that's out of the way I'll hook you up!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:01 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:38 am
wtfluff wrote:
Hmmm...

You're going to have to qualify for student healthcare at the U of U. Once that's out of the way I'll hook you up!
Ugh. That's not going to happen.

Oh well. No "Doctor's Note" to get my TR.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:55 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:01 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:38 am
wtfluff wrote:
Hmmm...

Ugh. That's not going to happen.

Oh well. No "Doctor's Note" to get my TR.
Now wouldn’t that be something to regain your TR by telling your bishop that your coffee habit is now approved by a physician and you can now get back into the temple game.
~2bizE

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:17 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:28 am
I had a checkup yesterday. My doctor highly approved of my coffee habit and said, "keep that up!"

He also gave me an enthusiastic thumbs-up for psilocybin. Now I have both medical and religious validation.
What did he say the benefits are? So much of what I read about tea and coffee conflicts. I’d like more reasons in the okay-to-drink column.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:48 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:17 am
What did he say the benefits are? So much of what I read about tea and coffee conflicts. I’d like more reasons in the okay-to-drink column.
He didn't give any details but if you look up recent articles about the health benefits of coffee you'll see that there are many. More importantly, the touted health risks of the past have mostly been disproven and removed from the list over the last couple of years. The remaining dangers are not coffee specific, but are related to drinking too much caffeine (e.g. temple-approved energy drinks) and drinking liquids that are too hot (e.g. temple-approved cocoa above 150 deg. F).

Among the known health benefits of coffee:
-Coffee drinkers live longer and less likely to experience heart disease, stroke, diabetes & kidney disease.
-Helps your body process glucose better.
-Reduces chance of heart failure
-Reduces risk of Parkinson's disease
-Promotes higher levels of healthy liver enzymes
-Decreases DNA strand breakage that can lead to cancer and tumors
-Reduces you chance of getting colon cancer by 26% (can I get an amen!)
-Decreases risk of getting Alzheimer's disease
-Reduced risk of stroke

So, the church touts the WoW as a health code, but maybe it should be reconsidered an obedience code that doesn't always take your best health outcomes into account. Any one of the reasons listed above make coffee drinking a wise choice compared to all of the drinks that the church does not prohibit. Many of them apply equally for decaf coffee, by the way.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:49 pm

:o 8-) :o
Last edited by moksha on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:38 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:48 pm
Among the known health benefits of coffee:
You forgot: Coffee is basically a wonder-drug for folks with ADD.

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:22 pm

"You may not believe this, little fella, but it'll cure your asthma too!" Name that tune for 5 points.