Should anti-maskers in youth/primary callings be released?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Advocate

Should anti-maskers in youth/primary callings be released?

Post by Advocate » Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:40 am

My spouse thinks most primary teachers and youth leaders in our ward should be released for not wearing masks. Her argument is that we shouldn't have people teaching kids and youth that are openly rebelling against the prophet because it sets a bad example for kids and youth. I asked if if she thought whether someone should be released as a YW leader if that sister wore multiple earrings to church every Sunday, and she said yes. She said the crux of the issue is that the kids can see the rebellion in church where they are supposed to be learning gospel principles from trusted adults.
Obviously everyone sins, but most sins are not out in the open during church.

I told her that if they released all the primary and youth teachers that won't wear masks then we wouldn't have enough primary and youth teachers to teach all the kids in our ward. She agreed, but said that shouldn't matter and they should be released anyway.

A couple data points: About half of our ward does not wear masks during sacrament meeting. There are numerous sisters in the ward that regularly proclaim on facebook that COVID vaccines are bad and they shouldn't have to wear masks (due to them being ineffective and/or a form of control). Some have also suggested that the the letter from the first presidency is really just for show to keep outsiders happy and make sure that temples don't get shut down by the government.

My feeling is that the people are becoming more like us (NOMers), in that they say what leadership wants to hear and then just do what they want.

Spouse is thinking we should talk to the Bishop about it. Her logic seems solid to me even if my feelings aren't as strong as hers, I just feel bad bringing this to the Bishop because I know he hates dealing with mask issues.

Red Ryder

Re: Should anti-maskers in youth/primary callings be released?

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:29 am

Ugggg...

I’ve realized the best approach is to let people vote with their feet. If you don’t like the fact that half your ward is crazy lunatics and you can’t fit in then leave. :lol:

Seriously though, you present a serious problem when half the members take it serious and the other half don’t. The church can’t force people to wear a mask or get vaccinated even though they do control what underwear you wear and what temperature of caffeine you consume.

If I were a Bishop I would personally pull in the anti maskers and anti vax and patiently explain that there are people at risk in the congregation. Then ask them in faith to wear a mask and get vaccinated or not come back. :lol: Diminish the “stupid people” population in my ward and rebuild with like minded people. Then I would proclaim I was prophet, received revelation that I must take up more than one wife, write my own scriptures, and require all members to “donate” 99% of their income to my... ur ummm our church in exchange for blessings, and all other forms of intangible religious benefits.

Seriously... talk to the bishop. If anything it will show her that he has no answers or real authority. It could pull her further away and help open her eyes to the way the church really works. Anything that dilutes her belief in the organization is a good thing.

Keep us updated how it goes if you both decide to approach him.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 am

You know what really pisses me off? For years I watched people shame other members about all kinds of crap they weren't following the prophet on, from not going on missions, to having two earrings, to watching R rated movies, to drinking Coke, you name it. And now some of the judgmental I-follow-the-Prophet-better-than-you crowd are the selfsame individuals not wearing masks, and all of a sudden following the prophet is an individual choice.

It's a helluva messed-up organization all the way around sure, and hypocrisy is a word that gets overused - but hypocrisy is pretty much ubiquitous in Mormonism, and that's one the things I really can't stand about it. One of many.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:25 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:02 am
You know what really pisses me off? For years I watched people shame other members about all kinds of crap they weren't following the prophet on, from not going on missions, to having two earrings, to watching R rated movies, to drinking Coke, you name it. And now some of the judgmental I-follow-the-Prophet-better-than-you crowd are the selfsame individuals not wearing masks, and all of a sudden following the prophet is an individual choice.

It's a helluva messed-up organization all the way around sure, and hypocrisy is a word that gets overused - but hypocrisy is pretty much ubiquitous in Mormonism, and that's one the things I really can't stand about it. One of many.
It really does tell you a lot about people when the hill they want to die on is wearing a mask on their face to protect themselves and others.

But, yes, let's go back and judge 18yo me hard for that second earring. :roll:

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:46 am

In response to your question--yes, I think people shouldn't be able to teach children if they won't perform a basic act of human kindness and attempt to slow the spread of a pandemic by wearing a mask.

That said, I had to send my kids into school where they were among a very small minority of people (teachers included) wearing masks as the year started, and my kids who are old enough are all vaccinated. Just my youngest isn't. (Please, please make that happen soon.) A couple of weeks ago after 12% of the district either had covid or was quarantined, the geniuses on the schoolboard led by an anti-masking school board leader finally put a mask mandate into place with a vote of 3:2 over the vehement protests of the anti-maskers. Sadly, it expires in a month so who knows at that point? The other two similar districts in our city remain mask optional because their votes tipped the other way. Hopefully, it will continue, but I have limited belief that it will. It will probably be our beleagured superintendent again sending out emails full of evidence begging parents to encourage their kids to mask up no matter what the mandate is.

Meanwhile, patients at my hospital are sitting in the ER waiting for a room to open up at times, the overflow is crazy with pts on the peds unit, pts in prior staff offices that have quickly been outfitted, non-rehab pts being admitted to our acute rehab floor which leaves no beds for pts to go who need acute rehab, aren't safe to go home, and can't d/c to a SNF because most of them aren't accepting covid positive pts. Pts who can be made medically stable are being discharged quickly with limited opportunities for home healthcare/rehab which they would have in better times. Staff from nursing to radiology to housekeeping and everything else is critically short. As I was waiting in line at the cafeteria yesterday, I found that everyone waiitng in line with me was also working overtime that day because their departments are understaffed. The system can only stretch so far. Sigh.

Healthcare worker burnout is real. It's a tiring job under stressful conditions at the best of times. Listening to people complain about wearing a surgical mask or a fabric mask when you're dealing with N95 and full PPE and dealing with acutely sick people daily is rough. Not going to lie.

I had high hopes for 2021 being better than 2020, but nope. Fingers crossed that some of my faith in humanity can be restored in 2022.

Sorry for the tangent post, but yes. They should be released. In fact, let's just cancel the germ fest that is primary in a building that isn't cleaned by professional staff. That'd be easier on everyone.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:04 am

Advocate wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:40 am
She said the crux of the issue is that the kids can see the rebellion in church where they are supposed to be learning gospel principles from trusted adults.
It's a shame that the culture views strict obedience to leaders as a gospel principle. I would have hoped that the true gospel principle in this situation would be to develop enough love and concern for others to overcome selfishness and make a small sacrifice that could prevent people from getting sick and even dying. Sadly there doesn't appear to be enough of that love and concern going around in religious communities.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 am

nibbler wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:04 am
Advocate wrote:
Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:40 am
She said the crux of the issue is that the kids can see the rebellion in church where they are supposed to be learning gospel principles from trusted adults.
It's a shame that the culture views strict obedience to leaders as a gospel principle. I would have hoped that the true gospel principle in this situation would be to develop enough love and concern for others to overcome selfishness and make a small sacrifice that could prevent people from getting sick and even dying. Sadly there doesn't appear to be enough of that love and concern going around in religious communities.
That is so very well said!
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am

Let's face it: With the COVID numbers in the Moridor right now, LD$-Inc. would have shut down in-person meetings if they cared at all about attendees.

Keeping primary children safe, or promoting obedience to those kids seems to be the last thing on the minds of "leadership."

Butts in seats probably has some correlation to tithing dollars paid. Who cares about safety when the bottom line could be impacted?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:56 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:30 am
Let's face it: With the COVID numbers in the Moridor right now, LD$-Inc. would have shut down in-person meetings if they cared at all about attendees.

Keeping primary children safe, or promoting obedience to those kids seems to be the last thing on the minds of "leadership."

Butts in seats probably has some correlation to tithing dollars paid. Who cares about safety when the bottom line could be impacted?
The longer members are away from in-person meetings, the more of them realize how little they really need them. The Brethren know this, and are perfectly willing to risk the health of members if it keeps them chained to the Church.