For discouraged Mormons

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

For discouraged Mormons

Post by Palerider » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:14 pm

I've been thinking lately about the concept of "luck" and "preparation" and how the two interact. To complicate things, I added into the mix the Mormon version of how we "obtain" blessings and all of the promises that accompany those teachings.

Follow the prophet and you will be blessed. Keep the Word of Wisdom and you will be blessed. Pay your tithing and etc.,etc.....

Nothing happenstance about it. Do this and you WILL be blessed.

But when we actually go through the process of living each day, many "Mormons" (sorry Russell) seem to just have runs of bad luck even though they are obeying the commandments as taught by the Brethren. Or sometimes they just don't feel as if they're reaching their full potential spiritually or temporally no matter how hard they try.

Of course it's never the fault of the church or the Brethren. They always have some explanation propped up by affected solemnity to soothe a member's feelings of failure and inadequacy.

As the Romans used to say, "May the luck of the gods be with you." It implies that either God or possibly Satan sway how things occur in this life on a constant basis, even in miniscule matters. I don't care for the word "luck". It carries too much baggage.

For me the idea that things can and do happen simply by chance feels more correct to me.

I think one of the values of this life is that many things do happen "by chance" and our challenge is in how we react to them. Not that they came to US in particular. It removes the question of "Why me?" Why is God doing this to me? Did I forget to obey a commandment? Is this the price I pay for missing scripture study this morning?

What does it mean when the scripture says, "God causes his rain to fall and the sun to shine on both the just and the unjust"....?

I'm getting long winded here I know but I just want anyone who comes here feeling confused or unfulfilled because of unrealistic expectations that have been inculcated through church indoctrination, to know that it's not your fault.

Each of us comes into this life with different circumstances. And a "one size fits all" dogmatic set of rules, policies and traditions isn't going to be the end all answer that some folks in the COB think it is.

So next time you're wondering why that unexpected fire burned a hole in your pants and right through your garments, do me a favor and remember this quote from Calvin and Hobbes.

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."
candh.jpg
candh.jpg (108.75 KiB) Viewed 858 times
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

hmb

Re: For discouraged Mormons

Post by hmb » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:43 am

Luck and preparation.

Faithful LDS father loses a job and finds a better job. Because God opened a window when He closed a door.

Non LDS (especially a former LDS) father loses a job and finds a better job. Because he pulled himself up by the bootstrapped and worked his ass off.

Faithful LDS person gets cancer: being tested by God. Will be blessed, possibly in the next life.

Non LDS (especially a former LDS) person gets cancer: That's what you get when you choose a life of sin. Eternal damnation (no celestial glory) for following Satan.

This mortal life is a short spec compared to all eternity. For many disappointed, faithful LDS, blessings will be abundant in the next life. You can't really win that argument. My atheist self is disappointed that I won't get to think, "Neener neener neener" in the next life, watching devout family members learn they are on the same plane as other kind-hearted people, religious or not. All that time spent on church work, checking off those boxes to alleviate day to day guilt...

Cnsl1

Re: For discouraged Mormons

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:58 am

I think there's already enough adversity in life without adding on the guilt of not living up to contrived expectations from, let's be honest, a host of white guys telling you what God says.

If there is a God or great creator, and i like to believe there is, and that God is benevolent, and again, I like to believe that too, then that God probably wants us to be happy and to enjoy living, but not at the expense of hurting others, since everyone else has that same opportunity for happiness. How does this simple philosophy explain evil and unfairness? Well, maybe God just isn't as omnipotent and omniscient as we'd hoped. Idk.

But it seems like part of achieving and becoming the person you feel happy and proud to be comes with overcoming setbacks, challenges, and adversity, and often a lot of that is self imposed. We create a lot of our own challenges, and it sure seems like we let a bunch of old white guys create a lot of them for us too.