For those not listening to conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

For those not listening to conference

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:59 am

Fortunately, conference has just been an occasional background noise for me this weekend. A grating, unpleasant buzzing in the background. The parts I have heard all seem to be "God wants you to do this, and God wants you to do that..." Funny, those all sound like the things the CHURCH wants me to do, and I haven't actually heard God telling me to do any of them.

How is your now-with-less-conference weekend going?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

glass shelf

Re: For those not listening to conference

Post by glass shelf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:54 am

I didn't even realize it was conference weekend until the memes and posts started showing up on Facebook yesterday afternoon. This is a definite benefit to living far from the morridor.

Had a nice breakfast out with the family. Then I went to the zoo with the kid who wanted to go and ran some errands. In other words, it's going fabulously!

In case anyone wonders, crab chilaquiles and good, locally roasted coffee are at least 100x better than conference ever was.
Attachments
yummy.jpg
yummy.jpg (48.51 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

Fifi de la Vergne

Post by Fifi de la Vergne » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:08 pm

Those chilaquiles look amazing!

My never-mo aunt came into town on Thursday -- Friday we saw the touring production of Cats (audience was masked). It was a powerful experience to be with a live audience enjoying the first live theatre in many months and the applause was thunderous. She left early this morning and I'm spending the day sewing. Later on today I'll chat with my married son who is the last active member in my family and hear his take on this Conference.
Joy is the emotional expression of the courageous Yes to one's own true being.

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:27 pm

Fifi de la Vergne wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:08 pm
Those chilaquiles look amazing!

My never-mo aunt came into town on Thursday -- Friday we saw the touring production of Cats (audience was masked). It was a powerful experience to be with a live audience enjoying the first live theatre in many months and the applause was thunderous. She left early this morning and I'm spending the day sewing. Later on today I'll chat with my married son who is the last active member in my family and hear his take on this Conference.
This also sounds way better than conference. :D

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Luckily, it's been completely in the background for me so far. I've been able to spend a few hours of enjoyment, and work on some goofy tasks that are taking up my time.

There was this one thing though: I walked through the house during the afternoon bore-fest on Saturday, and the dude on TV who was speaking looked like Marshall Applewhite to me. That was a bit of a trigger. :shock: There hasn't been any mention of comets or spaceships this weekend, has there?!?!?!
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

alas

Post by alas » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:48 pm

Well, we started out watching the morning session, my husband in the living room that is open to the kitchen, so I was hearing everything. Then my fudge experiment failed. I am trying to learn some new recipes because normally we bring a big plate of homemade fudge to the family Christmas parties (one for children and one for siblings, and small plates for neighbors at both of our houses. But this year, the kids requested that rather than giving them gifts, that I give them each fudge to take home. Most years the fudge to give neighbors, and for the party with my children and the party for my siblings run about 14 batches. If we add a bunch for all of them to take home, then it is going to be more. I need new flavors to keep me sane as I don’t do well cooking the same thing for 17 + batches. So, far, two new kinds have bombed. And I don’t know what I am doing wrong. My husband is frustrated with our company, who outgrew his welcome before he showed up. So, anyway, hubby says, part way through Nelson’s talk! Let’s get out of here. So we went for a drive around Bear Lake and to get something to eat and let the company eat leftovers. Fall leaves and sailboats on a very blue lake.

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:09 pm

No conference at all yesterday for me...was awesome! Mowed the lawn (hopefully the last time this fall), and enjoyed a beautiful fall day.

Woke up this morning to the bustle of family getting ready to watch the bore-fest. I rolled over and slept for another hour. Got up, left to go to the store and buy some things to make dinner. For some reason I really enjoy doing things that are "not keeping the Sabbath day holy" in plain view on conference weekend.

Sadly, I won't be able to avoid this last session as I cook as I can hear it from the kitchen. FSM give me strength. My attitude is souring by the minute...
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Are the conf sessions shorter this year? My DW said they only lasted one hour. I think maybe she fell asleep through half. I was not paying attention this year.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:57 pm

No conference yesterday. Today, my DW turned on the Tv and we watched about 30 seconds of Ucktdorf…stay on the straight paths he said…well that’s boring DW said as she got in the shower….I then changed the station to watch English Premier League soccer…Man City vs Liverpool….much more exciting than boring conference…
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm
There was this one thing though: I walked through the house during the afternoon bore-fest on Saturday, and the dude on TV who was speaking looked like Marshall Applewhite to me. That was a bit of a trigger. :shock: There hasn't been any mention of comets or spaceships this weekend, has there?!?!?!
I think that was Elder Gong and they had his TV makeup too white.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:47 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:37 pm
Are the conf sessions shorter this year? My DW said they only lasted one hour. I think maybe she fell asleep through half. I was not paying attention this year.
Sunday afternoon was just under 2 hours...sleep definitely could have been a factor given the subject matter and tone of delivery.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:18 pm

Saturday was taking the kids out for breakfast at a local cafe, then up to a local Amish farm so the kids could pick out pumpkins. Halloween movie night after dinner.

Sunday was brunch at home. Homemade bourbon maple lattes and Amish coffee cake. The afternoon was out at the barn taking care of the horses.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:21 am

I can't quite match everyone here, but I"m pleased to report that we only had the Sunday morning session on in our home. Thought for sure TBM wife would push for more, but I think conference is just too boring. We even had our phones out during the one session we had on. Kids were thrilled to not have to sit for multiple sessions.

From what I am reading, we missed a big nothing-burger. :lol:

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:39 pm

With my wife gone to help my daughter in another state, I made the choice to let gencon be as irrelevant to me as it is. The weather couldn't have been better for outdoor activities. I fished some on Saturday and took a nice hike on Sunday. To me it seemed that if anything gencon weekend increased the crowds in the places I went. I wonder if their program of ad nauseum repetition of conference talks throughout the year is backfiring big time. Why arrange your schedule around a live event when you will be hearing about it all again in PH/RS or in sacrament meeting talks?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born