Mormon History for Kids?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Mormon History for Kids?

Post by moksha » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 pm

Is the most accurate way for kids to learn Mormon history still the South Park episode on Joseph Smith? I ask this because I noticed in the Church essay section that they are still trying to peddle that Urim and Thummin stuff.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Re: Mormon History for Kids?

Post by blazerb » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:23 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:57 pm
Is the most accurate way for kids to learn Mormon history still the South Park episode on Joseph Smith? I ask this because I noticed in the Church essay section that they are still trying to peddle that Urim and Thummin stuff.
I believe you're right. The South Park episode is the only accurate depiction of Mormon history accessible to kids.

I was a kid before everybody owned a VCR, so the Living Scriptures videos weren't a thing for me, but we did have the books. Looking back, those were awful. Every book was Mormon = good. Although, they did have a bit on the Mountain Meadows Massacre, so I should give credit for that.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb smart smart smart. :lol:
~2bizE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:29 am

You gotta admit it's hilarious that anyone who reads the essay on BoM translation and watches that South Park episode must conclude, by the church's own admission, that South Park is more accurate than any of the correlated material. That's why "doubt your doubts" requires you to also doubt the church's own information sometimes.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."