"Thank you God"

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

"Thank you God"

Post by Linked » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:16 am

I was at my parent's house and noticed their toilet was leaking so I helped my dad fix it. Ultimately all that needed to be done was making sure the connections were threaded properly and tight (my dad is old, give him a break). After tightening it up I double checked everything, had my dad check it too, and was ready to leave. Then the following conversation happened:

Dad: Thank you God!
Me: Oh, I'm not God.
Dad: Well, you are doing his work.
Me: I'm glad I could help you. You should thank me.
Dad: How about, you were an answer to a prayer?
Me: You're welcome dad.

I get that he is essentially saying thank you, but I had to push back a little bit. I do find it annoying that he uses me helping him to throw God in my face, which he knows I disagree about. Oh well, helping old people with broken toilets is good, even if they preach at you after.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Re: "Thank you God"

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:31 pm

Earlier in the conversation, had he also thanked you personally?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:10 pm

Reminds me of the elevator scene in Squid Games right after the tug o war game.

Why are praying and thanking God? We saved you...
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:31 pm
Earlier in the conversation, had he also thanked you personally?
I don't think so. Though he's not one to skimp on showing appreciation and I'm sure he would have thanked me at some point before I left. In his mind he was showing appreciation, and being true to himself as a very religious man. But he does like to throw religion in my face, which I find annoying. I would prefer to connect where we can (loads of places!) and leave our differences out of things.

I'm just sensitive about that kind of thing now. I would probably be happier just ignoring it, but it's like a little slap in the face.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:37 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:10 pm
Reminds me of the elevator scene in Squid Games right after the tug o war game.

Why are praying and thanking God? We saved you...
Sounds about right. I still need to watch that though...

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:16 pm

Isn't it funny how god always "sends" a human to do "his work?"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...