Skeptiod & Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Skeptiod & Mormonism

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:54 am

I posted information in the Coffee Shop about an upcoming live presentation in SLC by Brian Dunning of the Skeptoid podcast. If you're not familiar with it, Skeptoid delivers very concise and informative - and entertaining - 15-minute episodes that investigate all aspects of pseudoscience, the paranormal, medical quackery, etc.

I'm posting this in the Support forum because yesterday Brian revealed to me that he is a post-Mormon (he said "formon") who attended BYU for a year. So I did a quick search and found that he has addressed Mormon topics on Skeptiod. Here are a couple of episodes and transcripts I found:

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4168
https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4043?utm_ ... ium=social

I look forward to getting more of his story. I hope to see some of you at his film screening on Oct. 23rd.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

DPRoberts

Re: Skeptiod & Mormonism

Post by DPRoberts » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:34 pm

Your two links for me only opened a short recording saying I needed to pay to hear the episode. Here is another Mormon-themed episode on Spotify.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3NB5lS ... 37cdeb4213
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:52 pm

Bumped. See you there at 7:00... maybe?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:36 pm

May be a few minutes late, but coming.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:49 am

DPRoberts: It was great to see you there! I enjoyed the film and Q&A too.

We asked him about his year at BYU and said he had a great time, studied hard, did his best to skip religion classes, and then got the outta dodge for his second year. A BYU success story.