If you could change a scripture story...

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

If you could change a scripture story...

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:40 am

Here's one I would do:

Jesus asks "do you love these [fish] more than me?"
Peter says "You know I love you."
Jesus says, "feed my sheep."
Jesus repeats it three times, so Peter knows it's important, but he wishes Jesus hadn't been quite so cryptic about exactly how he wants Peter to respond.

Peter, sincerely trying his best to please Jesus, picks up the fish, walks into a nearby field and force feeds them to some sheep.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: If you could change a scripture story...

Post by moksha » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:16 pm

What scripture do LDS people turn to most often to justify mistreating others?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am

I would change a lot of scripture stories. I would probably change or throw most or all of the Book of Revelation out of the canon. I would change most or all of the Book of Joshua (like the killing of every man, woman, child and animal stuff). Same with BOM story of the killing of Laban. Same with the Pastoral letters (attributed to Paul but he didn't write them according to the vast majority of scholars) that attack the formerly more equal standing of women in the early Christian church.

But the thing that bothers me the most right now is LDS contemporary oral tradition or commentary on the woman taken in adultery story in John (which actually wasn't original to the G of John but a later scribal addition). I absolutely go crazy when I constantly hear this story being shared and inevitably it has to be said that "JESUS DIDN'T CONDONE SIN THOUGH". :roll:

Drives me crazy!!!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:03 am

In addition to the pastoral letters, I'd like to change the story of finding Deuteronomy in the days of Josiah which was used to eliminate the notion of a divine feminine in ancient Israel.

How about changing the story of Corianton. What if instead of having sex, he had been rude to poor people or showed a lot of pride in his clothes or made sure that no one stood up at the end of the meeting until he did? Someday I'll get over my anger at Bednar, but it isn't today.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:39 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:49 am
I would change most or all of the Book of Joshua (like the killing of every man, woman, child and animal stuff).
I would make it like the version in the Ten Commandments when Moses/Heston stands on the mountain overlooking Canaan and says, "Now go publish peace throughout the land!" The actual version is "Now go kill everyone. And don't forget to dash the babies' heads against the rocks!" (paraphrased but nonetheless true).

I would have Abraham say, "Yahweh, if you want my son dead you're going to have to do it your own damn self!"

I would have Jesus add to the story of the widow's mite: "Ok, boneheads, let me put this in simple terms. You willingly took this old lady's last penny. I'm not just praising her for sacrificing everything. I'm condemning you a**holes for stealing it from her! And let he who hath ears hear this: Ensign Peak."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."